avoiding carbs makes you lose weight

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have to say that even though I posted this topic, I couldn't live by these rules (well, not for more than a couple of days!). I think carbs are essential to brain function and I just feel down and sad when I cut them down too much! Having said that, I do think that basing one's diet on carbs at the extent of good proteins isn't a good idea either (gets me into trouble anyway).

The brain runs better on fat than on carbs, we could live totally carb free (meaning meat, fat and water) and be totally healthy.

You feel down in the absence of those carbs due to detox, if you were to up your fat and protein intake along with green leafy vegetables for 2 weeks you would have so much energy you wouldn't know what to do with yourself!!!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I generally agree with everything written in the original post aside from the first paragraph. I don't like to label foods as "evil", and I'm not sure the claim regarding dairy increasing weight gain in humans is true.

I agree with everyone who posted that low carb doesn't mean no carb. Eliminating processed foods as often as I can, thereby reducing my intake of starchy carbs and excess sodium, has always provided good results for me. I eat some carbs for breakfast (oatmeal or high fiber cereal). My lunch and dinner are focused on coupling protein with non-starchy vegetables (rather than starchy sides like pasta or bread). I eat 1-2 fruits per day.

It is tough initially to avoid the foods you are used to (and think you love) but once you get the hang of it you will find the cravings do diminish, and then when you see the results, you realize it's well worth it.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    "Wondered what you all think of this way of thinking?"

It's been the opposite of my experience. I was able to lose a lot of weight while eating a balanced diet that included whole grains, wheat, and other carbs, even starchy ones, AND dairy, and so have a lot of other people. It's definitely not "impossible". Some people find it easier to lose weight on carb restriction, though, it all depends on your metabolism. Just experiment and do what is easiest and best for YOU.

Dairy is a good source of calcium. With some evidence emerging that calcium supplements may be linked to heart disease, I'd rather get it through food.
    I agree with this. I've had success reaching my weight-loss goals while keeping generous amounts of whole grains as well as starchy carbs and dairy in my diet. I feel great, and all my blood work has come back in tip-top shape. I can't dispute that some people have had to cut carbs to lose weight, but I am certainly thankful I'm not one of them.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    Got to take some time and read all of this again. Interesting points made.
  • Grokette
    Options
    "Wondered what you all think of this way of thinking?"

It's been the opposite of my experience. I was able to lose a lot of weight while eating a balanced diet that included whole grains, wheat, and other carbs, even starchy ones, AND dairy, and so have a lot of other people. It's definitely not "impossible". Some people find it easier to lose weight on carb restriction, though, it all depends on your metabolism. Just experiment and do what is easiest and best for YOU.

Dairy is a good source of calcium. With some evidence emerging that calcium supplements may be linked to heart disease, I'd rather get it through food.

The naturalistic - primitive man ate this and did that - is kind of silly. People evolved to accept starch in their diet - amaylase is an example of that (source: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/12/amylase_and_human_evolution.php) among other ways. If you really want to really eat like paleo and primal people, you'd eat lots of bugs, scavenged meat, offal, and on special occasions you'd be a cannibal. :) You'd lose weight fast with THAT diet!

Actually there are vegetables that are a greater source of calcium than dairy. I hate that the dairy council and the government touts that we "need* dairy when there is no reason at all to consume dairy products, especially not on a regular basis.

Now, I do have an occasional greek yogurt or some home made Amish roll butter and maybe a bit of home made ice cream. But I don't consume dairy products everyday like many people do.

I don't supplement either. Since green vegetables are a huge mainstay of my daily eating plan, I am gettig plenty of calcium and Vitamin D is actually more important than calcium.

Make a large salad and go have fun in the sun!!! <<<<<Best way to have healthy bones.
    Plant foods as sources of calcium

As previously described, calcium is a mineral found in a wide variety of foods besides dairy products. Virtually all greens contain calcium. By "greens," we mean all the dark green leafy vegetables like spinach, chard, mustard greens and collard greens, as well as lettuces, like romaine. Shredded cabbage is also a source of calcium.

Virtually all nuts and seeds - and especially sesame seeds - contain calcium. So do most beans, including navy, pinto, kidney, and black are all calcium-containing foods. Additionally, tofu can also be an important source of calcium, particularly when the tofu has been calcium-precipitated (meaning that calcium was used to help convert the soy milk into tofu) it can provide a significant amount of calcium.

Enjoy a delicious salad and support your bone health

Although none of the above non-dairy foods, all by itself, will provide a large percent of your total day's calcium, when these foods are combined, the total calcium they provide is actually higher than the amount in an 8-ounce glass of cow's milk. Let's take a salad as our example. Romaine lettuce contains 20 milligrams of calcium per cup. Using 2 cups of romaine as our salad base, we start off with 40 milligrams of calcium. A half-cup of chard leaves would bump us up another 25 milligrams, to 65 total. Adding one-half cup of soybeans we jump up 87 milligrams to 152 while sprinkling on 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds brings us up to 237 milligrams. To top it off, add one-third of a cup of kidney beans and we have a salad that provides a substantial 277 milligrams of calcium.

How does this amount compare to a glass of 2% cow's milk? In terms of total calcium, it's very similar! A glass of 2% has about 285-300 milligrams. And while it is true that our salad contains nearly twice as many calories as an 8-ounce glass of 2% cow's milk, it also contains a much wider variety of nutrients. These nutrients include fiber, which is absent in the cow's milk altogether, and vitamin C, which is over 10 times more plentiful in the romaine lettuce alone than in a cup of 2% milk.
  • PJilly
    Options

As previously described, calcium is a mineral found in a wide variety of foods besides dairy products. Virtually all greens contain calcium. By "greens," we mean all the dark green leafy vegetables like spinach, chard, mustard greens and collard greens, as well as lettuces, like romaine. Shredded cabbage is also a source of calcium.
    I love spinach, and I eat it daily, but I'd rather use milk on my oatmeal. :tongue:
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    WORST
    carbs are you friends.
    Just choose the right ones
  • Grokette
    Options

I love spinach, and I eat it daily, but I'd rather use milk on my oatmeal. :tongue:

I tend to agree with the oatmeal thing, but I recently discovered the creaminess of coconut milk and it has stole my heart for accompanying my steel cut oats when I do eat them (which isn't often since it is warm outside). :flowerforyou:

For anyone else that would like to see the chart with the veggies with excellent calcium, here is a link to the chart where I posted the other information.......

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=79
  • PJilly
    Options
    I tend to agree with the oatmeal thing, but I recently discovered the creaminess of coconut milk and it has stole my heart for accompanying my steel cut oats when I do eat them (which isn't often since it is warm outside). :flowerforyou:
    What would it cost me to get you to share some of your "warm outside"? :bigsmile: We've had the tease of a couple of 70-degree days, but it's back to the 50s again today. I'm tired of it. I want some honest-to-goodness spring weather.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I was having some problems with feeling light headed and getting nauseated so I went to the Dr. After getting some bloodwork done they have determined that I am pre-diabetic. The past 2 weeks I have been being very cautious of the food I'm eating to try and keep from being 24 years old and diabetic. The Dr told me that my main focus should be to cut back on carbs as much as possible. Since doing this for about 2 weeks, I have lost 5 lbs and feel SO MUCH better! I LOVE carbs but after seeing the results I will definitely continue this.

That is the best thing anyone in your situation could do. Lots of studies show diabetics controlling their blood sugar with less carbs and more protein in their diet.
  • Grokette
    Options
    What would it cost me to get you to share some of your "warm outside"? :bigsmile: We've had the tease of a couple of 70-degree days, but it's back to the 50s again today. I'm tired of it. I want some honest-to-goodness spring weather.

I will figure out how to get you some of the warm without the side of Tornados that keep ripping through here........

We are gearing up for another round today. My car was almost blown off the road in a thunderstorm on my way to work this morning and I don't drive a small car either!!!
  • PJilly
    Options

I will figure out how to get you some of the warm without the side of Tornados that keep ripping through here........

We are gearing up for another round today. My car was almost blown off the road in a thunderstorm on my way to work this morning and I don't drive a small car either!!!
    Never mind! I need to learn to be thankful for what I have. Please stay safe. That is some scary, scary stuff.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to cut all out carbs to be a fat burning machine. This is not sustainable for most people. Simply eat no carbs until the evening and then eat 100-150gms. You will see the benefits of increased fat loss but have greater energy than not eating carbs.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am just going to start.....

Eat carbs, your body needs them-Just eat them in moderation. Eat smaller portions of them. Dairy actually helps you speeds up weightloss.

Some people, (me included) are insulin resistent and need to restrict their starchy/sugary carb intake because we cannot use them properly. Our bodies store them and do not use them for energy at all. There is a whole population of women suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Disease who can not eat carbs with abandon! We must be very careful which carbs we eat. I can only eat veggie carbs. If I eat fruit or starchy/sugary carbs I gain weight and have other nasty symptoms, like IBS and arthritic flare ups. Many women are infertile because of PCOD and carb overload. So moderation, good in theory, but not so good in science isn't the answer for many.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    bump to re-read later
  • LaJauna
    Options
    I am going to do an experiment. I am actually going to try to eat most of my calories in fats. I am lowering my protein intake and eating all my allowed carbs for breakfast only. I will let you know how I feel and what the scale reports. So far I have lost almost 5 lbs since Monday. I feel better already (no joint pain, no agitation/mental fog, and I am sleeping well).
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I am going to do an experiment. I am actually going to try to eat most of my calories in fats. I am lowering my protein intake and eating all my allowed carbs for breakfast only. I will let you know how I feel and what the scale reports. So far I have lost almost 5 lbs since Monday. I feel better already (no joint pain, no agitation/mental fog, and I am sleeping well).

Good luck!! Are you already a contributor to the 'No Grain No Pain' thread? If you're not, you should be!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It may work for some. I work out at least an hour everyday or every other day so I have to eat enough carbs to get me through my work out and then eat more afterwards to replenish what I burned off. I eat about 150g of carbs per day. If I don't, I just get weak and tired and can't function.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    It may work for some. I work out at least an hour everyday or every other day so I have to eat enough carbs to get me through my work out and then eat more afterwards to replenish what I burned off. I eat about 150g of carbs per day. If I don't, I just get weak and tired and can't function.

There are whole tribes of people around the world who do not have "carbs" in their diets because of lack of agriculture. The live full lives sustained on mostly proteins and high fats. Our bodies are wonderfully made to adjust to either a carb loaded diet or a fat loaded diet. IF you increased your healthy fats you could lower your carb intake and still have plenty of energy.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Wouldn't you rather burn fat than carbs when you're working out?? I know I do. That's why I keep my carbs under 50g everyday. You can get energy from fats.