avoiding carbs makes you lose weight

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    There's a satiety factor in the reduction of carbohydrate in diets for many. When you eat a diet relatively dense in dietary fat and protein, you may feel fuller on less food.

You can lose weight effectively with any macro balance. It's more of an individual preference or tweak.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    She then gives a diet plan (eggs for breakfast, protein and salad for lunch, protein and veg for dinner).

I want to check this out, please post the link so I can see her list.

Quoting myself - found her meal plan;

BREAKFAST

Three eggs - either scrambled with olive oil OR a three-egg omelette cooked in oil. Remember no milk or butter. Add mushrooms, herbs or onions for flavour.

Soya yogurt with 10-15 almonds or a spoonful of seeds. Choose from sunflower, hemp, sesame, linseeds or pumpkin (or a dessert spoon of mixed seeds and nuts). Add a teaspoon of cinnamon - it speeds up your metabolism.

Real porridge oats - use water instead of cow's milk to cook them. Add a little soya or rice milk, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a few seeds or nuts to push up the protein. Use between 40g to 60g of dry oats mixed with a half to a third of a pint of water.

LUNCH

Salad made with 4-602 of either fish, chic ken, turkey or eggs. For vegetarians use 4oi of tofu and a fist -sized amount of nuts and seeds. Usegreen salad vegetables like lettuce, celery, spinach, watercress, cucumber and a little oil and vinegar for dressing.

One portion of chicken or a lean steak with green vegetables Iike spinach or beans.

A portion of ham - such as parma ham - with two baked or chopped peppers.

Any protein-based soup such as chicken and vegetable, lentil and ham, or pea and ham -make your own if you can.

Baked sweet potatoes or yams, filled with tuna, tinned salmon or sweetcorn.

AFTERNOON SNACKS

Soya yogurt - with a few seeds.

Six one-inch cubes of feta cheese with six cherry tomatoes.

A few spoonfuls of hummus with a fistsized amount of raw vegetables. Handful of raw nuts.

Green apple or pear.

Half a punnet of strawberries, blueberries or raspberries.

Celery with sugar-free peanut butter.

DINNER

Portion of chicken or turkey with roasted veg such as onions, peppers, leeks, celery, mushrooms, garlic.

Carb-free shepherd's pie: use lean beef or turkey mince and top with mashed cauliflower with a little olive oil.

Two peppers roasted and stuffed with minced turkey, lamb or beef.

Cod or salmon with green veg. Prawn omelette, or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with a green salad.

Frittata made with eggs, mushrooms, onions, peppers and ham.

Stir-fried egg noodles with chicken strips and veg such as carrots, broccoli or cabbage.

Drink plenty of green, rooibos, white and fruit tea.

~

After reading that.... it's easier just to do the grapefruit diet for a few days. It too was designed as a 12-day diet and the main carb is the grapefruit. Only problem is with me being so low-fat minded it's about 1000 cals a day. It would be higher for those not eating egg beaters, chicken bacon, chicken breast instead of red meat and more oil/dressing... perhaps I should try the grapefruit thing again and see how a higher fat diet improves me. I'm still here 1 yr later with the same 10 lb's I gained in 2009, got to try something and sooooooo many people on here find sucess with higher fat.

Call me crazy, but um...why is this meal plan hard to maintain? It sounds yummy and satisfying. I don't see why someone couldn't easily do this meal plan for a lifetime. It's just a WHOLE foods diet.

• The difference is ketosis. When a person is in ketosis they are burning ketones (calories) for energy. But that is not all....they are sneaking out ketones in their breathe and in their urine, unburned! So you are actually getting more calories out without expending the same energy that you would on a low calorie (calories in=calories out) regime. So a person can eat a daily diet of 2000+ calories and lose weight regularly compared to having to keep calories at a deficit.

Very misinformed.

Urinary and breath excretion of acetone is negligible in terms of caloric loss, amounting to a maximum of 100 calories per day.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    If you really want to really eat like paleo and primal people, you'd eat lots of bugs, scavenged meat, offal, and on special occasions you'd be a cannibal. :) You'd lose weight fast with THAT diet!

Hilarious, and I can't wait to quote it LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    So why does the mind crave the carbs then if our bodies can work perfectly fine without them? It's a usual thing to give into carbs when you've craved them all your life and been over weight like I have. How do you revert your thinking to the opposite when you eat these things and steel feel like you can eat a scabby dog cos you feel very hungry still. I get what your saying but am a carb lover and having protein n veg just does not fill me up as much for obvious reasons. Is snackin more often of the protein and veg the way forward to this?

I don't mean to be dis respectfull to OP just curious how to keep up with the protein and veg and steer clear or carbs.

:)

I love carbs and just don't feel satisfied without them. But I only eat whole grains, and limit bread (even whole grain). I live by the motto "the whiter your bread, the sooner you're dead" I've been eating this way for over 10 years now with no insulin, glucose or gut problems and no disease. If I stray and start eating too much saturated fat or don't exercise regularly my triglycerides and weight tend to go up, but they drop right back down as soon as I start exercising and cut back on s. And you can't be healthy without exercise, so as long as they are good carbs ... bring 'em on. :happy:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    This is a bunch of hogwash!!! HOWEVER, I believe that if someone can feasibly maintain such a lifestyle then go ahead and go for it. It's not ideal, nor is it heart healthy, but hey... you can ask Dr. Atkins about it... OOPS... HE'S DEAD!!!

I have been through several nutrition classes and spoke with trainers and nutritionists alike, and they pretty much all say the same thing... 50% or more of your calories should come from carbs... with a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to proteins. Then the rest is supposed to come from fat.

In general about 50/25/25 or 50/30/20 with the fats being the low end of it.

Carbs give you energy to do things like run, bike, walk, etc. Cardio helps to keep your heart healthy. If your heart isn't beating... you can guess what the results of that are...
  • Barneystinson
    This is a bunch of hogwash!!! HOWEVER, I believe that if someone can feasibly maintain such a lifestyle then go ahead and go for it. It's not ideal, nor is it heart healthy, but hey... you can ask Dr. Atkins about it... OOPS... HE'S DEAD!!!

I have been through several nutrition classes and spoke with trainers and nutritionists alike, and they pretty much all say the same thing... 50% or more of your calories should come from carbs... with a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to proteins. Then the rest is supposed to come from fat.

In general about 50/25/25 or 50/30/20 with the fats being the low end of it.

Carbs give you energy to do things like run, bike, walk, etc. Cardio helps to keep your heart healthy. If your heart isn't beating... you can guess what the results of that are...

Not ideal or heart healthy? 'Tis a myth. The fact that the media and other sources enjoy bashing anyone who eats a single full-fat food item is pretty maddening to me.

So...can someone please explain why I'm maintaining a healthy weight and all healthy markers after having maintained this hurrendous reduced carbohydrate lifestyle for over 5 years... I eat twice the amount of vegetables than the average joe AND can squat my bodyweight.

And please also explain why fitness organizations like Crossfit as well as well-known trainers such as Lyle McDonald and Robb Wolf agree with me?

Also, can someone explain how I ran 13.1 miles earlier this year eating under 150g carbohydrate daily even while training?

I am apparently a HUGE freak of nature.

Or maybe this lifestyle just ain't so bad after all.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    If you really want to really eat like paleo and primal people, you'd eat lots of bugs, scavenged meat, offal, and on special occasions you'd be a cannibal. :) You'd lose weight fast with THAT diet!

Not so funny. I'm not bashing people for eating what they are eating. And there are still people in the world today that eat lots of bugs. I guess you're bashing them, too. You need to do more research about what the human species used to be like before the agricultural revolution. We weren't scavengers either. We had the necessary tools to take down a creature - they didn't need to scavenge.
  • Barneystinson

Not so funny. I'm not bashing people for eating what they are eating. And there are still people in the world today that eat lots of bugs. I guess you're bashing them, too. You need to do more research about what the human species used to be like before the agricultural revolution. We weren't scavengers either. We had the necessary tools to take down a creature - they didn't need to scavenge.

I do eat offal.

It's delicious.

• Not ideal or heart healthy? 'Tis a myth. The fact that the media and other sources enjoy bashing anyone who eats a single full-fat food item is pretty maddening to me.

So...can someone please explain why I'm maintaining a healthy weight and all healthy markers after having maintained this hurrendous reduced carbohydrate lifestyle for over 5 years... I eat twice the amount of vegetables than the average joe AND can squat my bodyweight.

And please also explain why fitness organizations like Crossfit as well as well-known trainers such as Lyle McDonald and Robb Wolf agree with me?

Also, can someone explain how I ran 13.1 miles earlier this year eating under 150g carbohydrate daily even while training?

I am apparently a HUGE freak of nature.

Or maybe this lifestyle just ain't so bad after all.

Nothing wrong with low carbohydrate diets. Nothing wrong will full-fat foods. If a certain diet is easier to adhere to for an individual and they feel more full, energized, focused, then go for it.

What gets me is when people attribute the weight loss to the diet alone, especially the idea that insulin=fat gain.

I see, however, that you have never stated such things. That being said, congrats on the WL and WM.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Surely the cavemen ate scavenged meat sometimes, as do many primitive tribes still around today. I imagined they saved energy and work whenever they could. I don't know about the bugs, but that seems logical too since they are a plentiful food source. But I digress from the reason for my post.

The one question I have been curious about on all the primal/ paleo diet threads is how do the diet gurus (not meant to be a derogatory term just not sure what else to call them) explain the fact that humans have the intestinal tract of a herbivore and not a carnivore? Our anatomy seems built for a more vegetarian lifestyle.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Humans really aren't a true anything in terms of digestive system. More like a garbage disposal. Some need to understand how insulin results in fat. Saying it doesn't is flat out ridiculous. That's it's job when glycogen stores are full.
  • Barneystinson

Surely the cavemen ate scavenged meat sometimes, as do many primitive tribes still around today. I imagined they saved energy and work whenever they could. I don't know about the bugs, but that seems logical too since they are a plentiful food source. But I digress from the reason for my post.

The one question I have been curious about on all the primal/ paleo diet threads is how do the diet gurus (not meant to be a derogatory term just not sure what else to call them) explain the fact that humans have the intestinal tract of a herbivore and not a carnivore? Our anatomy seems built for a more vegetarian lifestyle.

Omnivore
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member

The difference is ketosis. When a person is in ketosis they are burning ketones (calories) for energy. But that is not all....they are sneaking out ketones in their breathe and in their urine, unburned! So you are actually getting more calories out without expending the same energy that you would on a low calorie (calories in=calories out) regime. So a person can eat a daily diet of 2000+ calories and lose weight regularly compared to having to keep calories at a deficit.

Very misinformed.

Urinary and breath excretion of acetone is negligible in terms of caloric loss, amounting to a maximum of 100 calories per day.

Then what explains the proven fact that Low carbers eat more, and lose more then low calorie folks?

• The difference is ketosis. When a person is in ketosis they are burning ketones (calories) for energy. But that is not all....they are sneaking out ketones in their breathe and in their urine, unburned! So you are actually getting more calories out without expending the same energy that you would on a low calorie (calories in=calories out) regime. So a person can eat a daily diet of 2000+ calories and lose weight regularly compared to having to keep calories at a deficit.

Very misinformed.

Then what explains the proven fact that Low carbers eat more, and lose more then low calorie folks?

Proven fact? Correlation does not imply causation.

Eliminating any one macronutrient, including carbs, would in turn lower overall caloric intake in the event that dietary fat and protein were not increased.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member

A one-size-fits-all mentality is the wrong approach to take. A person’s ideal macronutrient breakdown is largely determined by what the person’s goals are as well as their individual biological characteristics, such as sensitivity to carbs. Also, mainstream science when it comes to nutrition is pretty conservative and often outdated. What is the US RDA on fish oil? Oh yeah, that’s right…there isn’t one!

For someone who isn’t carb sensitive and does a lot of endurance training, a 50% carb breakdown would be OK. For someone who is at 15% bodyfat and wishes to get to 10% by setting a daily caloric deficit and lifting weights, a 50% carb breakdown would make things really difficult. Sure, weight would be lost but so would a good amount of muscle. To set up a proper protein sparing meal plan, it is critical to set protein levels very high.

With that said, mainstream nutrition is conservative for a very good reason. Can you imagine the abuse and misinterpretation that would ensue if the RDA said to eat a high protein diet if you want to lose weight while minimizing muscle loss? It would get pretty ugly.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member

Fact? Studies where calories are rightly controlled show that as long as protein is adequate, long-term weight loss between low carb and moderate carb diets result in similar weight loss.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member

Do you have any data on this?

I've seen studies that people lose weight more quickly eating low-carb. But, when I've taken a look at the charts in actually studies, the low-carbers seem to eat slightly less calories per day than comparison diet, even when they're unrestricted. (It probably has to do with the feeling of satiety?)

If you know a study which shows greater loss weight loss on low carb diets, calorie for calorie, please share. Maybe there is some type of metabolic effect, I don't know.
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    bump
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    If you have tried low carb and it works for you, great.
This discussion has been closed.