avoiding carbs makes you lose weight

Options

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Then what explains the proven fact that Low carbers eat more, and lose more then low calorie folks?

Do you have any data on this?

I've seen studies that people lose weight more quickly eating low-carb. But, when I've taken a look at the charts in actually studies, the low-carbers seem to eat slightly less calories per day than comparison diet, even when they're unrestricted. (It probably has to do with the feeling of satiety?)

If you know a study which shows greater loss weight loss on low carb diets, calorie for calorie, please share. Maybe there is some type of metabolic effect, I don't know.

Actually, look no further than the A to Z study published March 7, 2007 in JAMA (297:269) There were no significant difference in caloric consumption between the 4 diet groups at any time point in the study and only at the two month follow-up was the Low carb group even the lowest mean consumer of calories. Now we don't know what happened to each individual ( which would be more interpretable), but we do know that the low-carb group as a whole had the greatest weight loss at 12 months and the best metabolic profile of the 4 diet.

Individuals vary. Personal preferences and social norms will have a big impact on whether a particular eating style is successful for a specific individual.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm a celiac so I can't have diary or wheat and I can guarantee you my weight did not just disappear.

As with all things balance is important.

Animal protein has it's own dangers. Your body has to shed calcium and magnesium to digest it, thus you lose bone mass by consuming animal protein. Vegans who do not eat any animal products have the least bone loss. You actually get plenty of calcium from a natural diet that dairy is not necessary.

So going all animal proteins isn't good for your body at all. Counties with the highest consumption of animal products have the highest level of osteoperosis, where as countries with the lowest animal product consumption has the lowest.

As for myself I am an unrepentant omnivoir. I realize the health benefits of going vegan or even vegetarian but I'm not willing to go there just yet. Instead I strive for balance. I am eating more protein now a days, though I'm trying to switch gradually to more plant based proteins, because I am trying to build healthy lean muscle, which does need protein and complex carbs to thrive.

Each to their own, I guess, but scientifically low carb or low fat, or low protein all lose the same amount of weight on a calorie basis. It's about calories in vs calories out though not that simple. Not all calories are created equal but that's a discussion for another day.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have been through several nutrition classes and spoke with trainers and nutritionists alike, and they pretty much all say the same thing... 50% or more of your calories should come from carbs... with a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to proteins. Then the rest is supposed to come from fat.

A one-size-fits-all mentality is the wrong approach to take. A person’s ideal macronutrient breakdown is largely determined by what the person’s goals are as well as their individual biological characteristics, such as sensitivity to carbs. Also, mainstream science when it comes to nutrition is pretty conservative and often outdated. What is the US RDA on fish oil? Oh yeah, that’s right…there isn’t one!

For someone who isn’t carb sensitive and does a lot of endurance training, a 50% carb breakdown would be OK. For someone who is at 15% bodyfat and wishes to get to 10% by setting a daily caloric deficit and lifting weights, a 50% carb breakdown would make things really difficult. Sure, weight would be lost but so would a good amount of muscle. To set up a proper protein sparing meal plan, it is critical to set protein levels very high.

With that said, mainstream nutrition is conservative for a very good reason. Can you imagine the abuse and misinterpretation that would ensue if the RDA said to eat a high protein diet if you want to lose weight while minimizing muscle loss? It would get pretty ugly.

The problem with this is, Primal/Paleo is not a high protein diet per-se. It is a high fat diet with moderate protein and low carbohydrate intake. If you look at what primal folks eat (me) I eat 70% of my calories a day in healthy fats. 25% is my protein and only 5% is my carb intake. I love me some high fat beef!
  • LaJauna
    Options
    This is a bunch of hogwash!!! HOWEVER, I believe that if someone can feasibly maintain such a lifestyle then go ahead and go for it. It's not ideal, nor is it heart healthy, but hey... you can ask Dr. Atkins about it... OOPS... HE'S DEAD!!!

Yes, the poor man died while walking to his office (which he did every day!). He slipped and fell on a patch of ice and died of his head injuries. But since you lack sinsitivity, I won't guess that you are interested in facts, only gossip.
  • LaJauna
    Options

The difference is ketosis. When a person is in ketosis they are burning ketones (calories) for energy. But that is not all....they are sneaking out ketones in their breathe and in their urine, unburned! So you are actually getting more calories out without expending the same energy that you would on a low calorie (calories in=calories out) regime. So a person can eat a daily diet of 2000+ calories and lose weight regularly compared to having to keep calories at a deficit.

Very misinformed.

Urinary and breath excretion of acetone is negligible in terms of caloric loss, amounting to a maximum of 100 calories per day.

Then what explains the proven fact that Low carbers eat more, and lose more then low calorie folks?

Proven fact? Correlation does not imply causation.

Eliminating any one macronutrient, including carbs, would in turn lower overall caloric intake in the event that dietary fat and protein were not increased.

Well, this is my point...fat is increased substantially! And people lose weight!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Actually, look no further than the A to Z study published March 7, 2007 in JAMA (297:269) There were no significant difference in caloric consumption between the 4 diet groups at any time point in the study and only at the two month follow-up was the Low carb group even the lowest mean consumer of calories. Now we don't know what happened to each individual ( which would be more interpretable), but we do know that the low-carb group as a whole had the greatest weight loss at 12 months and the best metabolic profile of the 4 diet.

Individuals vary. Personal preferences and social norms will have a big impact on whether a particular eating style is successful for a specific individual.

Pieces taken from the study after reading:

Diet and Physical Activity Data. Dietary intake data were collected by telephone-administered, 3-day, unannounced, 24-hour dietary recalls

to the database manually. A “food amounts booklet” was used to assist participants with portion size estimation. Energy expenditure was assessed using the well-established Stanford 7-day physical activity recall.

This uncontrolled study proves nothing in terms of accelerated weight loss due to carbohydrate constriction, other than the fact that by removing carbohydrates, one would be lowering CALORIC intake in the event that protein and fat aren't increased.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I really want to post an "I don't give a f***" response picture right now, but I'll stay off the mods bad side for now.
  • ladyshills
    ladyshills Posts: 58
    Options
    I tried Atkins back in Summer of 2009. Low carbs, high protein.... lost 23 pounds in 2 months but gained it all back when I quit. I like my carbs too much. Last July I started Weight Watchers and using MFP & have found that a healthy balance of all types of foods allows me to lose weight & know that I can stick with it forever.
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The diet FOR ME that worked best was Atkins. So for me, carbs are the enemy. However I rarely eat meat, so I would be very very limited if I go back to Atkins (with my personal modifications). I honestly think it is an individual thing. I do best without carbs. I do not crave when I get rid of them. I lose faster when I get rid of them. HOWEVER, I WANT A LIFESTYLE CHANGE NOT A DIET. I want to eat sensibly things I like and get the pounds off and keep them off. Anything that I cannot sustain spells trouble for me over time.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Well, this is my point...fat is increased substantially! And people lose weight!

Then the dietary fat increase still wasn't enough to compensate for the deficit eliminating carbs created.

There are no diets, including Atkins, that you can eat anything you want and calories don't matter.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    I tried Atkins back in Summer of 2009. Low carbs, high protein.... lost 23 pounds in 2 months but gained it all back when I quit. I like my carbs too much. Last July I started Weight Watchers and using MFP & have found that a healthy balance of all types of foods allows me to lose weight & know that I can stick with it forever.

Me too. But I keep coming back. It has to become my lifestyle. I cannot do low calorie/low fat. I am pre-diabetic. I have to start controlling my carbs now. I love eating low carb/high fat! Yummmmm. I get to drink my coffee with heavy whipping cream and my cauliflower dripping with real butter, not some artificial, chemically altered butter substitute! By the way, dinner tonight: 4 oz fried pork chop with 2 cups of steamed fresh cauliflower with a cheese sauce. I am full and happy.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I watched an Episode of Dr OZ recently about carbs. He says that carbs are like drugs. They effect the same part of the brain that coke and heroin do that make u feel good.. Eating carbs is ok but you gata stick to healthy carbs.. white flour is no good for you.. you gata have whole wheat and grains.. I make whole wheat pizza, if i have pasta I use whole wheat.. use grains like bulgar and brown rice.. But you also have to limit yourself on how much your eating as well... All in moderation.. i know we all hate that saying but its true.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    I watched an Episode of Dr OZ recently about carbs. He says that carbs are like drugs. They effect the same part of the brain that coke and heroin do that make u feel good.. Eating carbs is ok but you gata stick to healthy carbs.. white flour is no good for you.. you gata have whole wheat and grains.. I make whole wheat pizza, if i have pasta I use whole wheat.. use grains like bulgar and brown rice.. But you also have to limit yourself on how much your eating as well... All in moderation.. i know we all hate that saying but its true.

I make a wonderful pizza with a cheese/egg crust (kind of like a thin quiche). It is so satisfying that one piece is all I need. It takes me 3 days to eat it all. Now if it was a whole wheat crust...I want it all now. I am not full with just one piece. That is why this way of eating is great. I have no cravings and I am full faster.
  • LaJauna
    Options

Then the dietary fat increase still wasn't enough to compensate for the deficit eliminating carbs created.

There are no diets, including Atkins, that you can eat anything you want and calories don't matter.

If you talk to 100 people who have lost weight and maintained their weight loss on a low carb/high fat diet, you will find most will say that even though there are no calorie limits (none!) The diet creates a lifestyle of peace with food. There is a complete lack of cravings for junk food (high carbage) and a feeling of well being that is unheard of with other diets. There is a sense of being chemically balanced for the first time in their lives. That is the lifestyle I am striving for. Primal/Atkins is the program I am choosing to follow.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    yeah if i make the whole wheat pizza i eat it only one night. I made it tonight with spinach, peppers, onions and chicken sausage.
    I had 3 small pieces and the rest if going to my co-workers tomorrow. I felt like pizza and got it out of my system...=)
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

If you talk to 100 people who have lost weight and maintained their weight loss on a low carb/high fat diet, you will find most will say that even though there are no calorie limits (none!) The diet creates a lifestyle of peace with food. There is a complete lack of cravings for junk food (high carbage) and a feeling of well being that is unheard of with other diets. There is a sense of being chemically balanced for the first time in their lives. That is the lifestyle I am striving for. Primal/Atkins is the program I am choosing to follow.

/discussion

Congrats on your continued weight loss, honestly. Keep doing what you find easy to adhere to.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I'm a celiac so I can't have diary or wheat and I can guarantee you my weight did not just disappear.

As with all things balance is important.

Animal protein has it's own dangers. Your body has to shed calcium and magnesium to digest it, thus you lose bone mass by consuming animal protein. Vegans who do not eat any animal products have the least bone loss. You actually get plenty of calcium from a natural diet that dairy is not necessary.

So going all animal proteins isn't good for your body at all. Counties with the highest consumption of animal products have the highest level of osteoperosis, where as countries with the lowest animal product consumption has the lowest.

As for myself I am an unrepentant omnivoir. I realize the health benefits of going vegan or even vegetarian but I'm not willing to go there just yet. Instead I strive for balance. I am eating more protein now a days, though I'm trying to switch gradually to more plant based proteins, because I am trying to build healthy lean muscle, which does need protein and complex carbs to thrive.

Each to their own, I guess, but scientifically low carb or low fat, or low protein all lose the same amount of weight on a calorie basis. It's about calories in vs calories out though not that simple. Not all calories are created equal but that's a discussion for another day.

So much wrong there it makes me sad. You can't be an omnivore. They haven't found a term to classify a modern humans digestive system yet. You can't build the best muscle possible heading towards the vegan side of things. Unless of course you want to supplement from the non vegan side of things. You CANNOT get a complete protein profile from that strategy and you CANNOT get B12, which humans need, from that kind of diet with out supplements.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Pieces taken from the study after reading:

Diet and Physical Activity Data. Dietary intake data were collected by telephone-administered, 3-day, unannounced, 24-hour dietary recalls

to the database manually. A “food amounts booklet” was used to assist participants with portion size estimation. Energy expenditure was assessed using the well-established Stanford 7-day physical activity recall.

This uncontrolled study proves nothing in terms of accelerated weight loss due to carbohydrate constriction, other than the fact that by removing carbohydrates, one would be lowering CALORIC intake in the event that protein and fat aren't increased.

Thanks for the chuckle! You know the truth, so we shouldn't be misled by the facts?

This was a real world study using the same methods of data collection in each group and published in one of the most widely read and respected medical journals in the world. Paticipants were randomly assigned to multiple intervention diets. This is a randomized CONTROLLED trial (For your edification, it uses concurrent, active controls)

The legitimate criticism of this study is the one I raised: that we don't know the individual data. Those that actualyl lost weigh may have had significantly reduced caloric intake while those that didn't may have substantially increased the group values. But thanks for playing!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Follow the money!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I'm on my phone and about to hit the sack, but I'll post a real study in the morning.

One that's controlled and doesn't leave the "portion sizing" and energy expenditure account to individuals. That in itself brings the lols for me.

I tend to like to stick to peer reviewed controlled studies when trying to argue things such as restricting carbs, OUTSIDE OF THE directly related effect of reducing CALORIC intake, will accelerate weight loss.

Edit: Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you? Are you in fact stating that restricting carbs, outside of relationship of reducing overall caloric intake, accelerate weight loss in any way? If so, in what way(s)?