Saturated Fat

13»

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    As someone who is opened minded and always willing to learn, I checked out the links in some of the above posts. I still am not convinced that a large amount of saturated fats can in any way shape or form be healthy. I can find just as much information supporting the fact that saturated fats clog your arteries! So, I guess we can agree to disagree:smile:

Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The other 74% is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated

The idea that saturated fats are bad for you originated with the lipid hypothesis which claimed two things; (1) saturated fats cause a n increase in cholesterol and (2) cholesterol causes heart disease. Both of these claims have NEVER BEEN PROVEN. All of the evidence (when you look at all of it, not just what they report on) shows that there are just as many people with high cholesterol that eat low fat diets as there are that eat high fat diets. Additionally, there are just as many people with heart disease that have low cholesterol as there are with high cholesterol.

So why are there more studies that support the lipid hypothesis? The answer is $$$MONEY$$$. There have been several doctors and scientists that have challenged this and were rewarded with the revocation of their grants, denial of future grants, and blacklisted in the scientific community. In almost all cases that support the lipid hypothesis the funding is coming from the statin drug companies, vegetable oil companies or the agricultural industry. If you eat less fat products what, by default do you eat more of? Carbohydrates, grains, wheat, flour, oils, etc…

If you want to reduce or avoid your risk of heart disease and obesity reduce your starchy carb intake and replace that with fats, proteins and carbs from fruits and vegetables.

Ha ha, we totally get it don't we???

It is so much common sense that people are denying.......

I like to think so, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it common sense. I took me quite a bit of research to change my thinking from the popular opinion and many people don’t have the desire to do that on their own so they rely on bodies of authority that we should be able to trust for their information. Unfortunately many of these authorities cannot be trusted and have agendas of their own, which then shapes the popular opinion.

For anyone still skeptical think of it this way; If mother nature made it, and it is edible, then eat it. If it was made in a lab or factory, stay clear or only eat it in moderation. And to preemptively address the person that will undoubtedly say “but vegetable oil is natural”, I ask you to go out, pick and ear for corn and try and make corm oil. The production of corn oil REQUIRES factory processing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    As someone who is opened minded and always willing to learn, I checked out the links in some of the above posts. I still am not convinced that a large amount of saturated fats can in any way shape or form be healthy. I can find just as much information supporting the fact that saturated fats clog your arteries! So, I guess we can agree to disagree:smile:

Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The other 74% is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated

The idea that saturated fats are bad for you originated with the lipid hypothesis which claimed two things; (1) saturated fats cause a n increase in cholesterol and (2) cholesterol causes heart disease. Both of these claims have NEVER BEEN PROVEN. All of the evidence (when you look at all of it, not just what they report on) shows that there are just as many people with high cholesterol that eat low fat diets as there are that eat high fat diets. Additionally, there are just as many people with heart disease that have low cholesterol as there are with high cholesterol.

So why are there more studies that support the lipid hypothesis? The answer is $$$MONEY$$$. There have been several doctors and scientists that have challenged this and were rewarded with the revocation of their grants, denial of future grants, and blacklisted in the scientific community. In almost all cases that support the lipid hypothesis the funding is coming from the statin drug companies, vegetable oil companies or the agricultural industry. If you eat less fat products what, by default do you eat more of? Carbohydrates, grains, wheat, flour, oils, etc…

If you want to reduce or avoid your risk of heart disease and obesity reduce your starchy carb intake and replace that with fats, proteins and carbs from fruits and vegetables.

I like to think so, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it common sense. I took me quite a bit of research to change my thinking from the popular opinion and many people don’t have the desire to do that on their own so they rely on bodies of authority that we should be able to trust for their information. Unfortunately many of these authorities cannot be trusted and have agendas of their own, which then shapes the popular opinion.

For anyone still skeptical think of it this way; If mother nature made it, and it is edible, then eat it. If it was made in a lab or factory, stay clear or only eat it in moderation. And to preemptively address the person that will undoubtedly say “but vegetable oil is natural”, I ask you to go out, pick and ear for corn and try and make corm oil. The production of corn oil REQUIRES factory processing.

Interesting. Where do you get ANY food that hasn't been processed through a factory? I'm assuming you don't eat meat, or do you only eat what you hunt, kill and process yourself? Becaused farmed meat, even organic, is FAR from what Mother Nature intended. Do you grow all your own vegetables? That well may be the way to go, but unfortunately this modern world doesn't allow many of us that kind of time or space.
  • End6ame

Interesting. Where do you get ANY food that hasn't been processed through a factory? I'm assuming you don't eat meat, or do you only eat what you hunt, kill and process yourself? Becaused farmed meat, even organic, is FAR from what Mother Nature intended. Do you grow all your own vegetables? That well may be the way to go, but unfortunately this modern world doesn't allow many of us that kind of time or space.

You took that extremely literally. There is a difference between things that exist in nature and are made available through a factory and things that do not exist in nature and can only be produced through a factory. To answer your questions though, yes, I do grow some of my own vegetables and try and get my meat from local, natural (not chain supplier) farms. What I get from stores I make the best attempt possible to get organic produce, grass fed meat products, and wild fish.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Just got me some virgin coconut oil. 1 tbs = 14g fat, 13g sat fat. Four of these a day = 52g of saturated fat. I don't think I have a problem meeting my fat intake anymore. If I die, I'll let you all know.
  • End6ame
    Just got me some virgin coconut oil. 1 tbs = 14g fat, 13g sat fat. Four of these a day = 52g of saturated fat. I don't think I have a problem meeting my fat intake anymore. If I die, I'll let you all know.

LOL, yes, please let us know. I am going to have to get some of that.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

You took that extremely literally. There is a difference between things that exist in nature and are made available through a factory and things that do not exist in nature and can only be produced through a factory. To answer your questions though, yes, I do grow some of my own vegetables and try and get my meat from local, natural (not chain supplier) farms. What I get from stores I make the best attempt possible to get organic produce, grass fed meat products, and wild fish.

Same here................I am growing my own vegetables and I have a CSA membership for things I don't have room to grow. I am purchasing fruits from a local pick your own organic farm down the road from where I live.........

We picked out the cow, pig and bison we eat and I get chickens delivered from my sisters in laws every couple of months along with fresh eggs and sometimes raw milk.

For other things I am hitting up the farmers markets again.

Some people make those comments just to start an argument............
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

What brand of coconut oil did you purchase? I like Nutiva and Jungle brand the best. Tropical Traditions is ok.

Your health is only going to improve from here..............Have you seen and read about the wonderfulness of coconut oil, cream and milk????
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Cool beans. I bought Nutiva. I don't know what I'm doing. This is my first time going coconut. I just went to a health store and compared various coconut oils.

If you say Nutiva is the best, I'll stick with it. Thanks for the info.
    Yeah I read about the great benefits of coconut. It started out as cholesterol > HDL > saturated fat > coconut oil.
This discussion has been closed.