Lose 5 Pounds A Month June 2011 Challenge

Options

Replies

• aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is a very important part of this journey. A food scale is a great investment. I have one the I can set my plate on tare it to 0 and then start putting on the food. It measures it ounces and grams. It is a great way to learn what a portion really looks like. Read those food labels and if possible eat fruits veggies and whole grain foods.

Great tip, Terri! I got one about 2 months ago and what a difference it made for me. Educating myself on actual portion sizes has helped me from overeating.
    Anyway - I'm in this challenge for June, 25000 calories burn challenge, and 40 mile biking challenge. PLUS I signed up for a 5K again this Saturday, and one next Saturday as well. Then I'm hoping to do an 8K in July, then I am definitely signed up for a 7mile race on July 30th. Then I have a 4 miler in August. Plus my cousins are trying to get me to do a triathalon relay with them in September....they need a runner! That is a 10k race. OMG Run Forrest Run! Hopefully this will kick my losing into higher gear!

Holy schnickeys, Kelly! I love, love, LOVE your activity level! Good luck with all the events this summer!
  • Livie_Marie
    Options
    I'm in, let's do this!!

June 1st: 271 - up from my 261 loss, not all of that is TOM! ::prepares to stab at the fat, to keeeel it:: HAHAHAHA
  • 81mags
    81mags Posts: 4
    Options
    Count me in.
  • AychDeeGee
    AychDeeGee Posts: 11
    Options
    I am in! I'm hoping to bust through this plateau this month and 5 pounds would feel great right now!

June 1st- 140.2
    June 8th-
    June 15th-
    June 22nd-
    June 29th-
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    June 1st- 136lbs (thank you TOM for adding 1lb in 2 days- uggg)
  • Maripoza28
    Maripoza28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • BlueSkies_12
    BlueSkies_12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing this!
    I'm in!!

June 1: 138.4
    June 8:
    June 15:
    June 22:
    June 30:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are Costco members there is an interesting article in this months membership magazine called "Wait Training. Exercising Slowly can Bring Quicker Results" It really should be called lifting slowly... Anyway the article talks about study where they compared people who lifted slowly (14 seconds to do a rep) compared with people who lifted at a "normal" pace. Guess what? They found that women who lifted slowly achieved both strength and bone growth without injury. This was done in 1982. 20 years later they did a study again using older women (they did not define what "older" meant) There were a dozen exercises used in the study. The control group did 10 reps of each exercise using 2 seconds to lift and 2 seconds to lower. The other group did 5 repetitions 10 seconds up and 4 seconds down.

The women who did the slow speed-training attained 50 percent greater strength gains than the subjects who performed standard-speed training.

This was published in the Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. I am going to research and try to find a link to this article. I have often wondered when doing a weight lifting video (I used the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt) how much good I am doing when I move the weights up and down so fast. If I can find this article I plan to try this method out for myself or order the book called SuperSlow: The Ultimate Exercise Protocol by Ken Hutchins

How is everyone doing on day one of this challenge? Remember you need to create a 3500 calorie deficit to get rid of one pound. That can be through diet or exercise or both combined.

Keep tracking those calories eaten and burned.

Terri

Just found the book at Amazon for $165. Guess I am not getting that book.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Im in :0) today was my weigh in....so perfect timing

Check in 6/01: 218.5

WK #1 6/08: ?
    WK #2 6/15: ??
    WK #3 6/22: ???
    WK #4 6/29: ?????
    Final weight 6/30: ?
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh just what I need! I find it so hard to lose weight since I can't do the normal exercises like running, aerobics etc. Seems I can't do enough to shift the pounds. Now I have extra motivation!
  • Ktylerw
    Ktylerw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i'm in, but mine is gonna be LOSE 5 and keep it off!!!
  • rosebudgirl
    Options
    Just starting so I'm in.

Yah! Motivation!!!!!
  • ndriedger
    ndriedger Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are Costco members there is an interesting article in this months membership magazine called "Wait Training. Exercising Slowly can Bring Quicker Results" It really should be called lifting slowly... Anyway the article talks about study where they compared people who lifted slowly (14 seconds to do a rep) compared with people who lifted at a "normal" pace. Guess what? They found that women who lifted slowly achieved both strength and bone growth without injury. This was done in 1982. 20 years later they did a study again using older women (they did not define what "older" meant) There were a dozen exercises used in the study. The control group did 10 reps of each exercise using 2 seconds to lift and 2 seconds to lower. The other group did 5 repetitions 10 seconds up and 4 seconds down.

The women who did the slow speed-training attained 50 percent greater strength gains than the subjects who performed standard-speed training.

This was published in the Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. I am going to research and try to find a link to this article. I have often wondered when doing a weight lifting video (I used the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt) how much good I am doing when I move the weights up and down so fast. If I can find this article I plan to try this method out for myself or order the book called SuperSlow: The Ultimate Exercise Protocol by Ken Hutchins

How is everyone doing on day one of this challenge? Remember you need to create a 3500 calorie deficit to get rid of one pound. That can be through diet or exercise or both combined.

Terri

I love Jeri Love's Ripped series. She does a combination of different speeds with lighter weights. The counts vary between 1 and 4. The whole series is amazing. I got mine at Costco a few years ago. My sister got hers from Amazon. Each DVD is about ten dollars. A lil more affordable.
  • michelle1980m
    Options
    Count me in!!
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm in again.

05/01/2011: 211.50
    05/10/2011: 207.25
    05/16/2011: 208.00(!)
    05/23/2011: 207.50
    05/28/2011: 205.75
    05/31/2010: 206.00
    ================
    06/01/2010: 206.00
  • TheOnlyMe
    TheOnlyMe Posts: 23
    Options
    @cbell23 ~ I was kinda thinking the same, to get everyones weight / goals in one place. I didn't start this thread so don't wanna suddenly go 'HEY DO THIS!!' but have seen on other threads/websites things like write your name, cw and gw on list below and each person copies and pastes adding there name at the bottom of the list. So if I was to start (I'm not taking over, in fact I love this thread so don't want to annoy or upset anyone!! :D) it would be:

Lose 5 Pounds A Month June 2011 Challenge

TheOnlyMe: ~ CW: 214lbs ~~ GW: 209lbs ~~ 5lbs to go ~~

Promise I'm not taking over :D Just thought it might be an idea to see everyones weight losses in one place??

Please don't be mad a t me :D

xxxx
  • sameantha
    sameantha Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Terri

The 3500 calorie deficit is for the week, correct???
  • kickinkate
    Options
    I am IN! I have been plateaued for a while and really want to kick it into gear!
  • 6Alsmom
    6Alsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    Yup--needing a challenge please and thank you!
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    well crap I gained 2 more. my last weigh in on may 16th was 150 and today for my june 1st weigh in it was 154! :sad: this makes me sooo sad but it is tom and also my muscles and body could be retaining water but I have been eating pizza and cookies and chips since we have not wanted to cook after working on our fence all day long. ugh Im not sure at this point how much of my weight gain is water retention and tom and how much is junk food related. hopefully there is at least some water retention im trying to drink as much water as possible so that when my muscles can finally relax i just might drop some weight......or not.... we will see.:ohwell:

June SW 154.0 :explode: