Mcdonalds salads....are these thing healthy?

Replies

• Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    I can't stand the nutr_fresh or what ever solution,they use to keep salad alive longer. Just can't get beyond the taste. But for fast food when nothing is available I may eat one.
  • ginagn73
    ginagn73 Posts: 89
    The Thai grilled chicken salad is only 130 calories.....and its good without the dressing. If you add the dressing its more calories.
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Anything from Mcdonalds is terrible for you.
  • Anything from Mcdonalds is terrible for you.

This is not the case.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    50% off coupons are online so that sounds good to me!

They have less fat but some of the dressings are crazy, just eat a Big Mac then ;)
  • ginagn73
    The Thai grilled chicken salad is only 130 calories.....and its good without the dressing. If you add the dressing its more calories.
    oops I meant 230 calories with out dressing and its yum yum...
  • ginagn73
    Anything from Mcdonalds is terrible for you.
    we are only human and need to have these things now and then...:)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Never have th Cesar salads. Creamy dressing, bacon, croutons, and cheese is all added calories that you dont need. I would rather enjoy a big mac.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    Never have th Cesar salads. Creamy dressing, bacon, croutons, and cheese is all added calories that you dont need. I would rather enjoy a big mac.

Whats shakin babycakes???!? I love Big macs! BUT come on now .......a big mac over the ceaser salad!.....HA!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    actually i read somewhere, can't remember where....that there is more fat in a mcdonalds salad than a big mac, because of the salad dressings
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    actually i read somewhere, can't remember where....that there is more fat in a mcdonalds salad than a big mac, because of the salad dressings

True. The "Mighty Caesar" salad dressing has 29g of fat, same as a Big Mac. The Caesar salad itself has an additional 17g of fat. However, the light caesar dressing has 14g of fat... which, combined with the salad's 17g, gives you a total of 31g, more than in the Big Mac. If you don't use all the dressing, though, or find the salad to be two meals worth, it might be worth it. There are also more calories in the Caesar salad (plus dressing) than there are in the Big Mac (based on the "regular" dressing)... but with a salad, you're less likely to order the Bucket O' Coke and Potato Farm O' Fries, so while it's not a guilt free option, it is certainly a better choice.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member

not if you do your research ahead of time and figure out how much fat is in them. They do have some low fat options that are not that bad....just do your research, go the website and look at all the nutritional info...its there.
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    When I know that we are going to have to go to McDonald's, or somewhere similar, I always jump on to their website to see what I can order that won't ruin my diet. It really helps, seeing what is in the stuff before it is in front of you. McDonald's southwest salad is my "go to" option if we have to go to McD's. I have it with grilled chicken and i don't even use the dressing because they include a lime wedge that I squeeze onto it. The salad itself has alot of flavor. I think most salads at fast food places are pretty bad for you, but the important thing to remember is that you don't have to eat it as it is served, there are ways around it that make it quite a bit healthier. Welcome to MFP - you'll love it! :)
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    True again! If you're clever enough to check these things out in advance, plan your day around what you will and won't have, and do the legwork before you order, you can walk out of McDonald's with a reasonable meal that will see you staying full until you're ready to eat again.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member

True. The "Mighty Caesar" salad dressing has 29g of fat, same as a Big Mac. The Caesar salad itself has an additional 17g of fat. However, the light caesar dressing has 14g of fat... which, combined with the salad's 17g, gives you a total of 31g, more than in the Big Mac. If you don't use all the dressing, though, or find the salad to be two meals worth, it might be worth it. There are also more calories in the Caesar salad (plus dressing) than there are in the Big Mac (based on the "regular" dressing)... but with a salad, you're less likely to order the Bucket O' Coke and Potato Farm O' Fries, so while it's not a guilt free option, it is certainly a better choice.

ehhhhhh!!!!! skarrryyyy! BUT

I looked at the package (dressing) and it says 190 calories and 18G of fat.............so your #'s might be off a little.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    McDonalds salads can be "healthy" as long as you don't mind sodium. If you get the grilled chicken, you are getting grilled chicken breast and veggies--very healthy. Unfortunately sodium is added to make it taste good. You can get the light salad dressing and have a meal with very few calories with protein and fiber. Again, just need to know that you're going to be getting extra sodium.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Your better off if you can prepare your own food. It cost less, and you can control how it is prepared. But since it was Mcdonalds, you made a wise choice v.s. A Big Mac Meal with fries, etc.
  • avgjoe2u
    avgjoe2u Posts: 15 Member
    I know some have said that getting a salad from McDonald's is like getting a hug from a hooker. The truth is this its always better to eat food that has not been processed and is filled with all that mother nature intended. But if your in a spot and watching your calories as long as your not drowning them with high calorie dressings and croutons I think they are fine. Don't eat them everyday. Stay with the grilled chicken and light dressing and you can have a lunch that under 300 calories. I love this site cause knowing what your putting in your body is half the battle.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    When I know that we are going to have to go to McDonald's, or somewhere similar, I always jump on to their website to see what I can order that won't ruin my diet. It really helps, seeing what is in the stuff before it is in front of you. McDonald's southwest salad is my "go to" option if we have to go to McD's. I have it with grilled chicken and i don't even use the dressing because they include a lime wedge that I squeeze onto it. The salad itself has alot of flavor. I think most salads at fast food places are pretty bad for you, but the important thing to remember is that you don't have to eat it as it is served, there are ways around it that make it quite a bit healthier. Welcome to MFP - you'll love it! :)

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ I love the Southwest Salad w/ the Grilled Chicken and just like you I do not use any of the dressing. There is no need for it. If I remember correctly I think it is less than 300 Calories this way.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    I get the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad pretty often, and use all of the dressing packet and eat the tortilla strips. Only 390 calories, and 14 grams of fat total.
This discussion has been closed.