Mcdonalds salads....are these thing healthy?

Replies

• I get a McDonalds salad when my family goes. No meat (i'm vegetarian), and no salad dressing- it works out to about 40 calories. It may be different outside of New Zealand of course, but it is incredibly healthy (fresh tomato, lettuce & cucumber). :)
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    The expectation is that McDonald's food is highly standardized, but as the previous poster pointed out you can get a fairly healthy salad in New Zealand. http://mcdonalds.co.nz/sites/mcdonalds.co.nz/files/images/Nutrition-information-NZ-2-Sept-2013.pdf

The Grilled Chicken Salad is 122 calories and the dressings vary between 12 & 89 calories; so it'd be under 215 calories tops. Sodium is 270 mg for the salad and between 71 and 279 mg for the dressings. Low fat too.

I have memorized a list of items I feel OK with ordering there, in case I end up with family or friends there. I've always found something suitable, so from my point of view it's one of the fast food joints that gives me healthy options.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    It clearly depends on what country you're in.. in the UK the salad is literally lettuce, cherry tomatoes (and maybe a third veg...) with either grilled chicken or breaded & fried chicken with/without bacon. The dressing comes in a little sachet so either ceaser or balsamic vinegar. The salad is prepared and served within 2 hours, if it's not used it's thrown away, there are some nice stickers on the box that tell you when it was made. No croutons and optional dressing.

The downsides: The salad is always WAY too cold (y'know because that's how they keep it fresh) and it's really dull. But for a low cal option it's alreete. I prefer subway salads.

P.s. McDonalds is just food. If i'm going to eat ham out of a packet I see no difference in eating from MaccyD's. I do wish their bread wasn't so sweet though...
  • I ate one once and the cheese tasted like feet and I puked after eating it
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    you can find the info on the mc d nutrition. It depends on the chicken grilled vs fried and the dressing. I think it is an okay choice especially for fast food.

You would be better off having a BIG MAC Meal

The thrick ot knowing if something is healthy or not is

If It starts with McDonalds, Sub, Burger, Ken,Piz it is rubbish
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    If It starts with McDonalds, Sub, Burger, Ken,Piz it is rubbish

Actually at least in McDonalds ad Subway you can find low calories, decent and cheap meals (in New Zealand). The information is out there to be used, so rather than going for a blanket (and wrong) statement people should take the time to read.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    I just don't eat fast food anymore, period. Not their salads, not their anythings. Especially because I know how it's all prepared, no thanks.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    garbage, make your own.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    The Southwest salad is tasty and, since I'm not afraid of fat, totally up my alley.

So. Score?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    JONNY.... where are you?! They're making bad comments about McDonalds.... Tell them about your McDouble Down!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    What the hell is going on in this thread?

McDonald's is awesome:

20130926_123628-1_20130926131325730.jpg
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    tumblr_mke00p6Zke1qa9siqo1_500.gif
  • jonnythan
    Srsly though. McDonald's salads are perfectly healthy. The only ingredients are regular ol vegetables. And the salad dressings are Newman's Own.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Srsly though. McDonald's salads are perfectly healthy. The only ingredients are regular ol vegetables. And the salad dressings are Newman's Own.

^ THIS!!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

Those vege's were healthful. Then they put them in a McDonald's container, and they immediately became unhealthful. That's how it works.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    My only question is on the quality. I cant tell you the number of times I get a mushy tomato or wilted lettuce. :explode:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    My only question is on the quality. I cant tell you the number of times I get a mushy tomato or wilted lettuce. :explode:

That happens when I buy stuff at the grocery store though?
  • jonnythan

That's actually interesting. I've had dozens of McD's salads, and never had a bad tomato or wilted lettuce.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

42e
  • jonnythan

42e

You have the world's best collection of gifs.
This discussion has been closed.