Anxiety over WALKING?!

Options
I used to live in the big city, in a bad neighborhood, where you would NEVER even think about going for a nice walk outside after dinner with your family, much less alone. Now (2 years later) we live in a small country town. Population: 800. And I am still scared to walk outside alone! It's after 6pm already and dinner isn't done yet, no one has eaten, and bedtime is usually around 7:30. So If I want to go for a walk tonight (which I have to, I already logged it), it will just be myself. I feel so much anxiety over it!

I mapped my walk on "Mapymywalk.com" and instead of the 1 mile my family usually does together, it's about 2.5miles. (our 1 mile walk used to take us an hour, now it takes us 30-45 minutes so I had to up the miles).

Anyways. No real point to my post other then if you all don't see me around tomorrow...I may have been snatched up! (joking)!!!

Does anyone else go for their walk ALONE at night?

Replies

• gusto80
    gusto80 Posts: 28
    Options
    I live in a small community and I do walk at night, but I also go to the gym after I get off from work at midnight. If it is too scary for you, I wouldn't do it though. You may be so distracted looking over your shoulder every few seconds that you won't get the full benefit of your workout.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Like you use to... I don't live in the best area :( so sadly I can't walk alone at night anywhere (I don't feel comfortable doing so)

I usually go running right after school or earlier in the morning :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I do. However, I (now) live in a fairly nice residential neighborhood and I just walk around the neighborhood for a mile or so. I still get nervous if it is getting close to twilight, and I keep my cell phone on me. I've lived in other parts of my city where I wouldn't dream of walking alone at night (or during the day, for that matter) so I can understand being anxious about it! Would it help your nerves if someone walked with you for a few times before you tried it on your own?
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    During the day I'm fine ( I think the pop of my "town" is like 20 lol) At night? I don't step foot outside my front door alone. There's wolves and things!

Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine no matter where I went around here but I don't like the dark. 25 and afraid of the dark, go figure!:blushing:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Walk around your house briskly, that's what I do.
    Or go in your backyard.
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel this way and live in the country! I just don't wear my head phones when I get bugged out. Good luck to you, I know the struggle! Just think positive thoughts and try to keep your mind off of it!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere. I'm pretty careful about not walking alone after dark, though, but I even do that sometimes. I'm pretty tough. ;)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town...compared to big huge cities (I grew up in Seattle and now live in Montana where the whole state population is smaller than Seattle). I will walk alone at night, and I mean like 10pm-midnight). In college, I didn't get off work until 11pm or midnight. Going at night doesn't bother me, I still plug in headphones. The only difference is when I walk at night I talk my phone and I don't do that during the day. While I don't necessarily tell people exactly what my route is, I do tell them I'm going.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town...compared to big huge cities (I grew up in Seattle and now live in Montana where the whole state population is smaller than Seattle). I will walk alone at night, and I mean like 10pm-midnight). In college, I didn't get off work until 11pm or midnight. Going at night doesn't bother me, I still plug in headphones. The only difference is when I walk at night I talk my phone and I don't do that during the day. While I don't necessarily tell people exactly what my route is, I do tell them I'm going.
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    If I stay on my 10 acres I will walk when it's dark, but I won't walk out on the street after dark. I live in a safe area, but man, just kind of scary to me.... Linda/RN
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Can't you get maybe your hubby or a friend to go with you? I live in a city population 400,000 and would never walk alone unless in the public park. I don't think its a good idea after dark... be careful.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I think you should just get some video's or just walk during the day. STAY HOME TONIGHT!!
  • caterpillar2Butterfly
    Options
    If you have a dvd player you can get walking dvds at target that you can do from the safety of your own living room at any time, thats what i do...
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I go running in a local park, but only when it's light and there will be lots of other people out. I live in a bigger city and play it safe. Otherwise, I hit the gym, or run with a group - maybe you can find some friends or neighbors who want to start a walking club? There's safety in numbers :-)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I live in a fair big city and my neighborhood is safe for the most part. I walk everywhere. I hate the public transportation so, I opt to walk, even late at night alone. No one has ever bothered me when I would walk home. I make sure I project an air of confidence and that I won't take any bull. If you look scared and act all nervous, someone may prey upon that because they know you are an easy target.

Just make sure you are aware of your surrounds, know the area so that you won't get lost and make sure you have your cell phone with you. Be strong!!! You will be fine.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I walk alone all the time in my little town but don't venture to the wooded end of the local rails to trails by myself or I get creeped out. A dog is a good walking companion, esp a big one :wink:
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    If hubby goes, kids have to go. Which is what I was trying to avoid since its almost their bedtime, and they get cranky if they stay up late
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I will walk at night after it has cooled down, but not after dark.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Walk around your house briskly, that's what I do.
    Or go in your backyard.

This. I often jog in place in 15-30 minute bursts (usually infront of the tv, hah) when I've got time constraints/whatever else might be keeping me from a real workout... easily applies to not wanting to go outside! :)
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    I get paranoid walking in the daytime:huh: So I would never make it at night alone!!!! I hope you at least have some pepper spray with you!