WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
hellofriends.gif
It’s June----a great time to start with some new goals and some new resolve to live well, think well, move well, and eat well. It doesn’t matter what came before. This is a new page on the calendar and a chance for a new beginning.

Welcome to all the great friends from May and welcome to all the new friends we’ll meet this month.

This is a thread for women ages 50+ but we welcome all women who want to share support and encouragement along the way of our common weight loss journey.

How did you do with your goals for May? What goals have you set for June?

194904olsgis3xqe.gif

I am planning to dance more.

Replies

• AguaDulce
    AguaDulce Posts: 3
    Options
    Dancing is wonderful! I just started Zumba and am thinking of going square dancing with a friend who does it all the time. That's what's great about being 57... we do what sounds fun and don't care if it sounds dorky or weird. Ha! Even 10 years ago, you'd never have seen me square dancing. Sounds fun now!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for the fresh start.

How could you dance more? Do your days have more hours than ours? Love the simple and direct!
    Time to re-think mine.

Welcome SweetWater, Square dancing IS fun, as is Line Dancing and Scottish Country, but Zumba is the best workout and most laughter. How those gals can MOVE!

May goals, ok with some, struggled with others (those darned ol' weekends)... stayed below 140 for 2 weeks now, despite less walking at work, so eating earlier must be helping.

Hugs to all,
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Everyone

:flowerforyou: Thanks Barbie for starting the new thread, have you heard from Barb recently? I know she is busy and can't drop in as she used to, but please send her my love.

:flowerforyou: Barbie, you say it as it is, it's so simple, (but I need telling every so often) I will not be a victim! I do not need to eat to please anyone but myself. I think this will be my new mantra :laugh:

:smile: I'm looking out for a zumba class that I can join, it sounds so much fun. May Goals, hmmm I only had 1 and didn't even manage that for the full month! :frown: :grumble: Only myself to blame, but I am going to try and plan my meals and log them and any exercise I do in June.

Well time I was getting ready for work, only today and Thursday at work then my long weekend again yeay :drinker: :drinker: I could get used to a two day woriking week :wink:

Viv xx
  • caterpillar2Butterfly
    Options
    I need to refocus on my exercise, I have been eating well but not doing so well with getting my behind moving I really need to focus more on that this month..
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome to June! Today is a special day for me: 37 years ago, I married my best friend, and we are still inseparable.

My goals will remain the same as in my signature. I always hope to lose a few pounds every month, and actually did so in May. I am going to focus on staying on track as my schedule changes for the summer, and I travel more. Wishing the best for all of us. Here's to smart choices!
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for starting a new thread. Well, June for some reason just seems like a such a fresh time of year, at least here where I am, because it has been cold for so long and suddenly we have warm temperatures, we have the grass getting so green and the flowers blooming everywhere and suddenly you feel better about yourself and about everything. What better time than to commit to trying to meet your goals that you set for yourself. I will try to exercise more in this glorious month of June but my goals will remain the same as I have listed on my signature - for now!!!
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe it's June already. I didn't completely make my May goal so I modified my goals for June. They are all in my signature. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew so to speak.

Welcome to the newbies for the month and to those who are returning. This is such a wonderful and supportive thread.

7136630.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning and welcome JUNE!!!!

Okay I am back on track. I had a good day yesterday with my food and I got my exersize in. I am eager to get back down to a normal BMI again (I creeped back up over to overweight again) I CAN DO THIS!!!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Barbie again thanks for starting new thread. We all depend on each other so much and you taking that initiative really helps. Yesterday was another great day. Picked up kenneth from airport. So happy to have him home. May not be on again today because he is taking day off. Byron was really glad to see him. he loves his PawPaw. He brought me a long thin nightgown from curacao I slept in it last night and am lounging in it now.
    I am going to take Star's advice and re commit myself for month of June. Kenneth and I started our journey together on Feb. 24 2009. We started eating right and exercising daily at Snap Fitness. We did not miss a day of working out for at least 4-6 months. I started losing and doing well. By Nov. 2009 I was wearing loose 14's and some 12's. I weighed 186 at my lowest, I felt amazing. that winter was very cold and something happened and I gained some weight back. I kind of yoyoed for a while and in Jan of 2011 I recomitted and am now back on track. I am now 198 and on my way down for good. I am eating great but need to get my exercise back on track. The best thing that happened besides doing this with my husband is MFP. Having you ladies to talk to and report to each day has made the difference. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here each andevery day, especially those who have already reached your goals. My goal for June is to add exercise and to keep on keeping on. Have a great day ladies.
    vicki M
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I think June is going to be a good month for me. I have started eating low carb, more veggies & fruit. I may I 88 miles in was shooting for 100.

My goals for June is to lose 4-5 pounds and get back on track with my exercise. Stay on track with my low carb eating.

Lori
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Barbie, for keeping this thread going each month!
    Today is officially my first day with no school and no company, so let the summer begin! I celebrated by ordering myself a new "bike". My balance isn't what it used to be, and with arthritis, I have been scared of falling, so haven't ridden for a long time. So I have decided to get an "adult tricycle". http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Meridian-Tricycle/5679542
    I hope I get along with it well! I've got to get going - need to take the lawn tractor tire in for repair so that hopefully I can mow this afternoon before I swim. After that, it will be off to band practice for the evening!

Mary--I've had an Adult Trike for years and I love it! (The one I have now has an electric motor for longer trips and/or bad knee days,) They do handle a little differently than regular bikes--especially taking corners, so be sure to practice in a safe area! Have fun!

May goals--I did so-so. I'm hanging in there, though. I have a new food tracker for my phone (none of the MFP apps work on my phone:tongue: ) but I found Mobile Coach 2 and it works really well and is very easy to use! No more 'forgetting' to track foods!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies and welcome June!!!!!:flowerforyou:
    :frown: I'm 3 days behind in reading posts......and you know what that means!!! 6 Pages :laugh:
    It was a warm and lovely weekend with family and hubby but didn't leave much time for the computer!

A Happy BELATED birthday to Mary and Debbieanne!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I'm back to being busier at work so will try to pop in as much as I can!:happy:

Have a great day....and month all!!!!:bigsmile:

BirdieM:heart:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    (none of the MFP apps work on my phone:tongue: )
    What kind of phone do you have, Kathy? I'm still shopping (aka on the fence :ohwell: )
  • cjwil01
    cjwil01 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I just joined MFP on Sunday. I'm 57 and trying to lose 20 pounds. My eating is pretty much under control, but I have to exercise more regularly. :blushing: So my June goal is to walk at least 2 miles 5 or 6 days a week along with staying within my calorie goal of 1,200 calories per day.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cheryl! Come back often!

Here is the current birthday list. If you aren't on it, and would like to be, let me know and I will add you!

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55

February:
    2 - doobiedoo
    15 - anotheryearolder
    ? - SuzyQ

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    7 - DebKRN
    8 – pmjsmom
    12 – glendaaus
    14 – cj1234cj23
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    11 – kel7298
    14 - ildi59
    22 – sceck

May:
    2 – gracete
    2 – janemartin02
    4 – chicletgirl21
    5 – Debma1010
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    13 - jberberian
    20 – mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 – jam0525
    25 – wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3 - eotrg
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    23 - goldwingrider
    27 - Donna56

July:
    3 - Iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    8 – BarbieCat1
    20 - TeresaSavage
    27 - mynyddisamrs

August:
    7 - MacMadame
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 - cherubcrnp

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 – ItsTerriC
    22 - gloriaandison

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    19 - Benson
    30 - SallyCC

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    WOW, I started with MFP on March 7, am,azing huh? Well, I started the 17 DD over again, so I am back on Cycle 1 Day 2, for another journey, hope I lose something, you can't say I am not persistent!!!
    Have a good day..
    natalie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot for June.

May goals - I drank the water and went to the gym and my ticker is finally honest again.:embarassed: I was this weight Dec 10th, kept it off through Dec, added a couple in Feb and March. I had been holding steady since then until May. All four are now gone and I won't be seeing them again.

Now I really want to see a new decade. So, my June goal is 6 pounds, which may be a bit ambitious for me, but even more important I intend to eat as clean as possible and hit the gym 5 days a week. I am going to try to mix up my exercise between cardio and strength, as I outlined previously. If I do this, I will lose the pounds; hopefully on my time line but if not then soon.

It has taken a year to get this far but I can see great progress in my eating habits. I am much more in control of my trigger foods and that feels so empowering.

We have a major food centered vacation every year in July. Last year I did fairly well and this year I intend to come back the same weight or less. We go to the beach with a couple from out of state and lots of family shows up too. The guy from out of state loves to cook and is very good at it. He and I used to trade off cooking and trying to outdo one another. Everyone else at the beach is grilling hotdogs and hamburgers and eating out while our kitchen is producing Italian beef, herb and breading stuffed pork roast, potato soup with cream and bacon, marbled steaks, cheesecakes, red velvet birthday cakes etc etc. You get the idea. Last year I tried to join in in moderation. It's not happening this year. Doing that just makes it so hard when I get back to normal at home. I have to fight my demons all over again.

Okay, I wrote it so it will happen. :bigsmile: I am going to have fun at the beach and eat what I darn well please - which will be exactly the way I'm eating now.

Oh! I picked my first tomato yesterday. It's going to be part of my lunch today. I'm off to put the bird netting on the tomatoes. I feed the song birds and some years they decide I don't do well enough by way of feeding them and they start pecking at my tomatoes. :angry: :grumble: This will NOT do. I won't share my precious tomatoes with the stinkers. They will peck a hole in every one as it ripens if they get the chance.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MARY! :flowerforyou::heart:

Faye
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Welcome to June! Today is a special day for me: 37 years ago, I married my best friend, and we are still inseparable.

My goals will remain the same as in my signature. I always hope to lose a few pounds every month, and actually did so in May. I am going to focus on staying on track as my schedule changes for the summer, and I travel more. Wishing the best for all of us. Here's to smart choices!

Wow Mary, a birthday and Anniversary! Congratulations! I hope you can do something special today!
  • debieanne
    debieanne Posts: 85
    Options
    i love the dancein girl and cat please tell how to get i i would love it on my facebook page. yes this is going to be a good mth,i am saying { just for today i will } i seen this on another post i just love the saying, happy first of the mth all