Team UK & Ireland - June 2011

Options

Replies

• Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm an American living in Dublin for 5 years. I've been on my weight loss journey since January (only found mfp around march) and have lost 25 pounds so far. Kinda slacking off lately...really need to get back on the wagon. I'm still about 20 pounds off my goal weight. Going home to the US in July for 4 weeks and I'm really determined not to gain a bunch of weight back while I'm there! I'm so glad I found this website to help keep me on track. Looking forward to making some new friends on this thread!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Heeeey Amanda, you found us, welcome on the thread!!

Thanks for the advice guys, yes I will just go on I guess, so I have some "spare weight" to play with. I do tend to fall off the wagon (big time) every now and then, so creating a buffer would be good. Have now set my target another 2 kilos lower.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    oh there a june thread! i lost track of the may thread and couldnt find it!

hope u are doing well! ive been maintaining for 2 months now and going well!

is there southern softie/ northern numptie group still?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

How has everyone's weekend been?

We started a pedometer challenge at work this month, which suits me as I'm doing so much walking with the dog. On average I seem to knock out 13,000 steps a day. On the weekend it can be a bit more (16,000-ish on Saturday) but on Sunday when it was binning down only around 6,000-ish).

Wasn't the weather awful on Sunday. :noway: Was watching the washed out Grand Prix in Montreal and driving conditions there were as bad as outside my door. :huh:
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Waaaaah! I stepped on the scales this morning (well, three times, cos I couldn't believe my eyes) and I reached Target Weight!
    I now weigh 65 kilos exact (143lb). Am sooo happy - boiled over my porridge while writing this - yuck what a mess..

Soooo, now what? Go to Maintenance? Go for another 2 kilos....?

Fantastic :laugh: Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Just had a new running PB...3 miles in 27 mins and 50 seconds!! This half marathon training is going well.......so far:laugh:

Hope everyone is having a good week with food and exercise:bigsmile:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Just had a new running PB...3 miles in 27 mins and 50 seconds!! This half marathon training is going well.......so far:laugh:

Congrats. Cracking time. :bigsmile:

My running motivations kind of non existent at present... :embarassed: :huh:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, Backinthenines, Irn, Lesley, Mikey - where are ye all?!!

I'M HERE!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :laugh:

I'm back too :happy:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've been on here actively since January, and have lost 42 lbs so far.

Wow Wenders, that's some achievement, well done!

Mairgheal - Thanks very much :smile:

I now have a dilemma, and would appreciate everybody's opinion:

I am 50 years old, 5' 7". SW was 15 stone 8.5 lbs, and I weighed in this week at 12 stone 8.5 lbs, hence the 42 lbs loss. My original target was 13 stone, because quite frankly I didn't think I stood a hope in hell of reaching it. To be on the outside of the 'healthy weight' BMI category it recommends 159 lbs (11 stone 5lbs). But my dilemma is that due to my age my skin is very soft and wrinkly, and I don't want it to get any worse. Don't get me wrong, it's not like you sometimes see on the TV, or anywhere near that, but my boobs are quite saggy, and, and, and ....... therefore I don'y know whether to stop at 12 and a half, or maybe 12 stone.

I started out at size 20/22 top, 18 (tight) bottom. I am now 16/18 top, 14 (tight) bottom. I am quite happy with that, but would like some leeway. I do not want to be 'twiggy', and worry that I may end up slimmer, but looking a lot older !!!!

I hope you understand my rant, and where I'm coming from - I am really interested in what you all think :flowerforyou:

Wendy x

I know I'm a bit late to offer my view on this but here goes. I haven't lost as much weight as you but at one point I dropped below what I'd set as my target weight and it was just too much. Where I've had children the skin on my tummy was just too saggy and loose, it needs a bit of fat underneath to plump it up! However I have found that in other places (boobs, arms) the skin is not as saggy as when I first lost the weight. Also I was a bit too skinny around my ribs but now they look better. I know I'm not alone in observing this as I post on a maintenance thread too and many of us have seen the same. It's as if the fat you have left redistributes gradually when you are maintaining.
  • Mairgheal
    Options

That is great, well done!!
    I keep telling myself I should start running, but never seem to find the time. Have an app downloaded (kind of like start to run, but still not started. Guess I'm afraid, I've always hated running!! I should be fit enough for it, doing loads of other exercises, but running seems like such a hurdle....
  • Mairgheal
    Options

I know I'm a bit late to offer my view on this but here goes. I haven't lost as much weight as you but at one point I dropped below what I'd set as my target weight and it was just too much. Where I've had children the skin on my tummy was just too saggy and loose, it needs a bit of fat underneath to plump it up! However I have found that in other places (boobs, arms) the skin is not as saggy as when I first lost the weight. Also I was a bit too skinny around my ribs but now they look better. I know I'm not alone in observing this as I post on a maintenance thread too and many of us have seen the same. It's as if the fat you have left redistributes gradually when you are maintaining.

That's interesting really. I guess in a way it's nearly addictive to lose weight, result only prompts me to want more result.
    I've now lowered my target as well and I'm even wondering, should I go on and aim for a size 10, at this stage that would actually be feasible?
    At the same time, I really like my curves and I definitely want my cake and eat it (and my wine, biscuits, crisps, chocolate, ... :tongue: ). Guess I'll just take it day by day.
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    I've just started MFP and so far I'm doing well. I love being able to track my food record and it's helped making me very aware of what I'm putting in my mouth!

I'm still not fully up to speed on the consumed calories and the net calories and am still learning but like everyone else, I'll get there eventually.

I live in Staines and work in London.

It's great to know there are so many UK people out there. Please feel free to add me as your friend as I really would like the support!
  • emmamolly
    emmamolly Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello im Emma im from hampshire..

Im a mum of a 9yr old girl and have struggled with my weight all my life.. Im 33 now and have had enough.
    Im currently 180lbs.. I want to lose 50lbs ideally.

Im new to this site and am loving all the friendly advice and encouragment
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks Mairgheal and backinthenines...

Mairgeal you should try it, a few years back I couldn't run for more than two mins!!! just start small!!:smile:

jbenton......It is hard getting used to calorie counting but it definately works, most weeks i've lost (apart from when the wine finds me:embarassed: )

emma...I started at 185 and am now 159, this site has been great for me!!! Good luck:bigsmile:

Hope everyone has a nice weekend......
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm back!!!!!!

Due to a bout of illness I was out of service for a period, but normal service has resumed :smile:

I've been a very naughty girl, but I blame boredom! Sitting at home is no fun, seeing in my days with Jeremy Kyle and CSI... Although cleaning up puppy poop did keep me occupied for a time.

The fear of not fitting into my bridesmaids dress has me straight back on the wagon though... at long last!

So, what's everyone been up to?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new, started last Monday. Find this site great. I have around 55lbs to lose. I live in Gloucestershire.
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone - always a good day to start again hey...!

Welcome back Lesley - any pics of your little pup?

Tania, Jbenton, Emma, welcome, best of luck with your weight loss! Just stick with the logging and it WILL work.

Well, I reached a little milestone over the weekend, or two milestones I should say. First I held a tarantula and that's big, I'm very afraid of spiders, but this one was just like a little hairy pet, LOL. Not really a weightloss-related milestone though!

The other milestone is that I decided to give the running a go, well, I should say, jogging. And you know what, I jogged 5k in one go, no stopping at all. Took me 36 minutes, so it's slow, but I was bloody delighted with myself, I'm much fitter than I thought. Those workout-DVDs at home definitely did something then! And while I was doing that, the husband was eating a Chinese take-away at home... so pretty chuffed that I didn't go for that.
  • lesley1981
    Options
    Welcome back Lesley - any pics of your little pup?

I shall put a little piccie of Peanut on my profile as I'm in work and can't get access to Photobucket!

And well done on your milestones. Spiders don't bother me, but I don't think I could've held a spider that size!!!!!!
  • Mairgheal
    Options
    Aaaw he's so CUTE Lesley!!
  • lesley1981
    Options
    She's a real sweetheart, and she's finally getting housetrained! I've mopped up gallons of pee over the last two weeks! Although.... I think I may need new slippers :laugh: