Weird Food Quirks

Options

Replies

• BeHappyNHealthy
    Options
    I eat plain popcorn seasoned with ketchup and mustard.
  • marydee72
    marydee72 Posts: 51
    Options
    I totally have food texture issues. If it doesn't feel right in my mouth I won't eat it. Like, I won't eat watermelon or strawberries because of the texture but my fav food is completely raw steak (ice cold out of the pack with a little marinade). I also have a hard time with shrimp, bc it weirds me out that you can eat a whole animal in one bite. : )

You have me beat with the raw steak.......I have to say that grosses me out more than my chicken and egg thing.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My food can not touch until I make it touch.
    I eat layered candies (kitkat, reeses, etc) layer by layer (I don't eat that stuff anymore!!)
    I also eat m&ms by color. But, because I do not want to think I'm crazy, I force myself to eat them however I grab them. It secretly freaks me out!!
    My biggest issue with food is texture. I am slowly getting over that though
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am a texture eater as well. I don't like lettuce (any kind) because it is crunchy and tastes weird. I don't like spinach for the same reason. I HATE mustard with a passion and won't even touch the bottle in case there is any on the outside of it. My whole family makes fun of me because of it. I only like mayonnaise on macaroni salad and it HAS to be Miracle Whip light or I won't eat it. It is also the only place I will eat tuna besides tuna casserole. I only like Ketchup on french fries and I will only eat onion if it is chopped really small and is cooked. I don't like watermelon because it feels grainy and there are those annoying white seeds in them. I am really weird about how I eat arby's roast beef sandwiches and most chicken sandwiches. everything has to be plain and I eat the bun first and then eat the meat. I have eaten like that my whole life. Oh, and I won't eat tomato on a burger because it makes the bun soggy and I only like pickles on restaurant burgers because they are flat and often thinner... I am very weird aren't I?
  • smile72101
    smile72101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of texture issues as well. Because of this, it makes protein hard for me...I can stomach eggs about once a week, I can not eat protein shakes, hate greek yogurt....and if it is "mushy" I can't do it (eat green bananas bc of this). I love chicken, but can only eat white meat, if I cook a whole chicken I don't even pull apart the dark meat (thus I usually don't make it) It is all about the textures. I also am not a fan of "furry" fruits,but am ok with them if I peel them....

I also have TMJ (my jaw pops really bad and catches causing pain) so there are things I like, but can't eat a lot of....(nuts, chewy things etc)

I love seeing that everyone else has some "quirks" lol

Eating Healthy isn't easy with mine lol
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling rather normal after reading all these... but I know I'm not!

I have a fruit phobia. I know it's all in my head, but I gag every time I smell it or it comes too close to my mouth. I'm trying to overcome it by slowly introducing myself to fruits, but it doesn't seem to be working. Last year I ate a strawberry at work and it was like the Queen was coming for a visit - there was such a celebration! I tried to have another one but it totally didn't work...

I also can't eat hot and cold foods together - like pie and icecream. Warm meat and salad is okay... but that's about as far as I'll go.

The inside of a tomato grosses me out - it's like snot. So raw tomato is a no go for me - it's fine as long as the snotty stuff is unrecognisable.

Hmm... I'm sure I'll be back....
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I put ketchup in my pancakes. I don't like syrup or anything looking or tasting like syrup or honey. The good thing is that I don't eat pancakes anymore.

I don't eat, taste, or like the smell of cinammon. I HATE IT! it makes my gag and I think that I have a food reaction to it too. I will hold my breath if I have to walk near those places where they sale the buns with that spice on it. I don't have that spice in my house.

I never ate an apple pie or any desert with cinammon; which is fine with me because I save lots of calories.
  • Ellebeegirl
    Ellebeegirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches and burgers all around the edge, leaving the center bite (the best in my opinion) for the the last perfect bite.

I love fish, but I can't cook it and eat if myself. I order it in a restaurant and if someone just puts it in front of me I'm fine. It's not seeing it raw because I love sushi, but something about the cooking process of fish disgusts me.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of texture issues as well. Because of this, it makes protein hard for me...I can stomach eggs about once a week, I can not eat protein shakes, hate greek yogurt....and if it is "mushy" I can't do it (eat green bananas bc of this). I love chicken, but can only eat white meat, if I cook a whole chicken I don't even pull apart the dark meat (thus I usually don't make it) It is all about the textures. I also am not a fan of "furry" fruits,but am ok with them if I peel them....

I also have TMJ (my jaw pops really bad and catches causing pain) so there are things I like, but can't eat a lot of....(nuts, chewy things etc)

I love seeing that everyone else has some "quirks" lol

Eating Healthy isn't easy with mine lol

I know, it isn't easy with texture issues. I don't really like eggs much either. they remind me of rubber... I go to restaurants and look for healthy stuff on the menu, look up at my husband and say there is nothing healthy on this menu and the server comes up and says "we have some nice healthy salads." and I'm like " I hate lettuce so no" then they say "how about baked fish "um, I don't like the texture of most fish and the stuff I do like is not good for me at all." How about some shrimp? I don't do seafood, are you deaf? Can I just have a bowl of oatmeal? "sorry, we don't serve it after 10 am" GRR GRR GRR! toast and bacon it is then, but please make sure it isn't too crispy. It comes out and is as stiff as a brick. Thanks for listening wench!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have some texture issues, but wow...some of these are very interesting to read!

Texture wise I can't do tomatoes, strawberries, kiwis or most yogurts.

Other than that, I like most foods that are supposed to be served hot served cold. My older brother and I recently found out we both order pizzas and put them directly in the refrigerator. Oh ya, also anything with melted cheese served cold is amazing.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I take my sandwiches apart to eat them. Bread first, than veggies, than cheese, than meat. I usually eat the first half normal, than pull it apart!!

Also, when I eat gummy bears, I eat them in order of favorites....yellow first, orange, red, green, than the white ones. I'll make piles of the colors first before I devour them!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    These are great! Whenever I spread a condiment on something (like butter on bread), it has to cover the entire surface, every single inch, corner to corner, a thin layer yes, but still covering everything..

And when it comes to eating a kit kat (which I haven't done in a long time..) oh boy.. I eat the top layer first, then the surrounding chocolate, then the middle layer, and finally the last one.. A process yes, but it makes it last longer!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I know someone who eats ice cream with ketchup...

As for me, I can't think of any current habits, but here's a weird past habit.

(kind of gross... you have been warned!)

You know Pocky, the Japanese chocolate coated pretzel sticks? Whenever I ate a pack, I'd chomp down, swallow half of the stick, and store the other half in one side of my mouth/ cheek. I'd finish the entire pack this way, and by the end, my cheek (just one cheek, never both) would be bulging with a ball of crushed Pocky. Then and only then I would eat the ball and actually finish the pack of Pocky.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    l eat skittles in groups of three, one red, purple ,orange. I throw away the green and yellow. Like to eat the cocolate off candy bars and then the middle, but i dont really eat that any more anyway. I can eat cool whip by the spoonful. Like pickles wrapped in cheese. Hate onions in any form except as a a flavoring (sour cream and onion).Like cottage cheese mixed with any fruit or veggie. Dont like stringy veggies/fruits (oranges, celery), and I love fresh pineapple, but it makes my mouth break out!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot!! i also have that whole food-not-touching phobia as well.. thanksgiving is like a nightmare for me, watching people have a forkful of everything on their plates lol..

i can't stand cottage cheese, i just think, curdled milk...
  • Hedone
    Hedone Posts: 92
    Options
    my grandma drinks hot beer.

ew thats kind of gross, but funny too lol
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    Eggs! I can only eat them scrambled or in an omlet but it has to have cheese mixed in....

Hard boiled, dippy eggs, or anything else I just can't do
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love tomato sandwiches with miracle whip and big fat tomatos only with salt and pepper :)
    I eat butter pretzels with peanut m&ms too :)
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love tomato sandwiches with miracle whip and big fat tomatos only with salt and pepper :)

I love those too! A fresh, ripe juicy tomato is so awesome it doesn't need a lot of fancying up. Dressing just covers the flavor. Salt and pepper will accentuate it, and a little scraping of miracle whip brings its tanginess.

My other food quirk is barbeque chicken and cake. But the chicken must have very little barbeque sauce, and the cake needs to be orange pound cake. Wierd, I know, but I love it!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    hahaha I LOVE this thread!!!! LOVE.

1. I too eat colored candies (skittles, m&m's, etc) color by color.

2. I can't touch flour - I'll eat things with it, but I can't TOUCH it, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me!!

3. can't eat meat with bones in it... boneless chicken breast = a-okay, but no BONES they creep me out!! I was a vegetarian for a long time so maybe I just need to ease myself into it...

4. sometimes bananas make me gag. I like them, but I have to eat very small bites or the texture weirds me out. and they have to still be a little green!

5. I love eating peas or green beans with frank's red hot hot sauce. so good.

6. every time I eat a pickle I crave chocolate. and vice versa. my mom always thinks I'm pregnant.