Anyone shop at ALDI?

Options
I am an ALDI virgin, but there is one right around the corner from my house. I have read to bring a quarter for the cart and my own shopping bags. Anything else I need to know? Anything that ALDI carries that I should know about??

Replies

• ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I do! :)

Yes, you need a quarter for your cart, but you will get it back when you return your cart at the end of your shopping trip. You also need to bring your own bags or get boxes from inside the store to take your items home in (they charge for bags). You will also be bagging your items yourself (I just do it at my car because it's easier that way with my 2 year old).

As far as what foods I recommend, I suggest getting the following there:
    Milk ($1.79/gallon at mine)
    Eggs (.47/dozen at mine)
    Bananas (.44/lb at mine)
    Strawberries ($1.29/lb at mine)
    Bread (if you don't have access to a bread store)

Also, their Fit & Active line of food is tasty. I especially like their chocolate rice cakes and fudge bars. They make for some yummy, low calorie treats :)
  • JBRENTLINGER
    JBRENTLINGER Posts: 160
    Options
    I love Aldi's! So many items to choose from!

Sea Queen is their fish brand and it rocks! Their produce is always fresh and I love their deals on canned goods. Get their Bendita Guacamole! AMAZING!
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you do not have to bring your own bags. you can purchase the bags at the cash register. They sell Fit & Active products.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi!!! I started shopping there about 6 months ago. I'm a huge fan of their Fit & Active line of stuff(yogurt, cottage cheese, Ice cream bars). They also have alot of other stuff that I but for my daughterlike salmon burgers, hummus, and the list goes on. The quality of the stuff is great and so are the prices.....
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I enjoy shopping at Aldi. They carry some name brand items too. I agree about their Fit & Active- most of their items are "healthier" than the big name brands that you would buy from Walmart and taste better. If you have grocery bags at home, bring those with you so you don't have to buy any there.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?

No, they take credit cards/debit cards as well.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do! Let's see if you have reusable bags bring them if not you can buy them their. Hmm as for food they have a money back policy if you don't like something. Some of my favorite items To get their are sugar free or fat free creamer,sweet potatoes,old fashioned oats,fit and active yogurt,steamed veggies,hummus and fit and active lean beef. There Is other great stuff that I can't think of the two things I didn't like was the canned soups and pasta sauce.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?

OMG I LOVE ALDI!! Second the Sea Queen fish. My food diary looks like an Aldi billboard!

My aldi takes credit and debit along with cash.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    They do not accept credit cards- debit cards or cash.

I've also found their produce to be wonderful. You can get 3 green bellpeppers for less than a $1 and they are great quality. Fresh berries, potatos, etc.

Their Fit & Active line is ok. I always have to check the nutrtion because some of them aren't really that great.

I did find Benita Frozen Fruit Snack Bars- 40 calories a pop. Delicious! Make sure you get snack size though.

Cheap almonds, pistachios, etc. I love Aldi!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    ALDI is great! Yes bring a quarter for your cart (you get it back when you're done) and you can bring your own bags if you want. They sell paper and plastic bags. Paper are 6 cents, and large plastic shopping bags (not like the kind at wal-mart) are 10 cents. Aldi has improved in quality SO much in recent years. They have wonderful produce and their milk and eggs are always the best price. They have a line of healthier food options and they have whole grain products as well. Their whole grain spaghetti is really yummy and tons cheaper than in the store. Of course not everything is cheaper, but most products are. I love the toilet tissue (with the blue and white label), the dish soap, bleach, and the kleenex as well.

You bag your own groceries and you take the cart of the person in front of you in the checkout line. That's just how it works. When you're done, return your cart to get your quarter back. They take cash, debit, and ebt cards. (don't try to use a credit card there like I did once. lol I was out of luck!)

The reason they do the quarter for the cart is actually quite brilliant. It keeps the carts out of the parking lot and they don't have to hire anyone to round them up. No baggers means more savings to the customer. I hope you like it! Have fun! :smile:
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You can get a case of water for $1.99!!!!

I don't usually buy bottled water because I have a filter, but it's great to have just in case and it doesn't break the bank.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I get lots there too. I struggle to get protein in my kids so one thing we always stock up on is the turkey snack sticks. They are like pepperoni but only have 45 calories, less than 1 carb and 4 g of protein, and they are just right for little hands. Fit and Healthy line is good too! You'll be addicted to aldi!!! :)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    wow! Thanks guys! I didn't know they carried a 'fit and active' line. NICE!
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Do they only take cash?

No, they take credit cards/debit cards as well.

Some Aldi's don't take credit cards. Only debit and cash.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do too and love it. So much cheaper than Walmart. Although I still have to go there for some items that aren't at Aldi. It is a nice store though!
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?
    They take ebt and bank cards I don't think they take checks
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    I am Aldi's number one fan. I shop there first and get everything I can before hitting the other grocery stores. I recommend the fish fillets- I actually picked up some frozen Ahi Tuna steaks on special buy this week! The produce is the same stuff you will find in the major chains for much cheaper. Cheeses are a really good price. Butter. They also are starting to carry some organic items like blue corn chips and soymilk. I get refried beans and rotel, beans, tuna, frozen veggies. Also, if you are unsuccessful with one trip, try again! They get new stuff all the time.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, their produce is super cheap too.... and yes, cash or card only at mine
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi...their produce is usually fresh and cheap. They have great weekly specials too. I recently bought a huge bag of oriental stir fry w/sauce for $3.99. It lasted 2 meals and was only 50 calories per serving. You can find some great items there. I think people are turned off by Aldi because they did only used to take cash or food stamps. But now they take credit/debit also.