Anyone shop at ALDI?

Options

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Ahh I need to check out ALDI again! There's so many stores within such short range here I get lazy and go to the one within walking distance and rarely price shop at some of the others within 2-3 miles of my apartment.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I :heart: ALDI!!

I haven't had anything from there that I haven't liked, although the fresh produce here (multiple stores in the area, too) isn't always so "fresh". So I proceed with caution in that area - like I bought bananas there, and they were STILL GREEN with brown spots after a couple days?? :noway: But I've had excellent fresh pineapple and watermelons from them, too. Otherwise, I have nothing bad to say about them.

Items I typically purchase there:
    generic triscuit crackers ($1.29/box!)
    cheese/cheese sticks
    frozen fruit (3lb bag of mixed fruits, don't remember the price, but per lb it was less than Sam's Club or GFS) - I use it for smoothies
    frozen veggies
    deli meats
    pre-packaged pb crackers - yeah I know they aren't the best for me, but they come in packs of 4 (rather than 6!! 4 satisfy me just fine!), and 8 packages for 99 cents!! Versus $1/pack of 6 in the vending machine at work
    granola bars
    fit & active protein bars are good, but I got burnt out eating them every day :laugh:
    milk
    eggs
    egg substitute

I haven't bought any red meat from there that I can remember, but their garlic & herb frozen chicken breasts are good!

They also occasionally carry (like specials) stuff like...one time I got a box of whole wheat turkey stuffing and it was YUMMY....but then I couldn't find it again! :cry: Same for a whole wheat version of pasta roni, it was delicious, but I never saw it again!!

OH yeah and I can't forget :laugh: their fit & active version of Special K cereal w/ strawberries - it's good, and way less expensive! My dad kept eating it all and I'd be like...what happened to my cereal??

I could go on and on!!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    We should start an Aldi group here! :D

I too, have a special compartment in the car for the Aldi quarter. .. I think I have 2 or 3 in there, just in case! LOL
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    OOH! I found some Turkey Italian Sausage there and it's pretty good!

Yes! Their frozen turkey meat balls are yummy and I don't like turkey meat balls ;) also agree with others that like the fit 'n active line!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I just got back from there. :) In our neck of the woods we don't call is ALDI...even though that's how its spelled. We say ALDI's! And its so hard for me to read these posts without adding an S! LOL
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I realize my comment could be misunderstood and I never meant to offend anyone by calling them cheap (which I dont think you guys are, you are just smarter than most!!) :ohwell:

I just find it fascinating that some things are so different, even in this small and globalized world of ours :noway:

Sorry to anyone, who found it offensing! :heart:

I don't think it was offensive one little bit! I think it's funny how one chain's quality can be so different at various locations! There are 2 Aldis here and I wouldn't step foot in one of them.

I wouldn't say cheap, I would say smart :) In this day and age, every little penny counts :)

Happy Aldi shopping everyone!

PS- I love their turkey meatballs too! I throw them in the crockpot with jelly and chili sauce (sounds gross but very tasty!) or microwave them and add them to my spaghetti sauce. Can you believe the calorie difference between turkey meatballs and regular ones? It's amazing!
  • love_30034
    love_30034 Posts: 25
    Options
    Im have shopped there before but since I have turned Vegetarian I have noticed that they dont have a lot of food catered to vegetarian but as far as prices are concern there prices are low
    6743425.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Their fit and active selection is good.milk and eggs are usually cheaper.The produce is good also at times.
    you bag your own groceriers.
    They have weekly buys.
    good luck
    jane
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?

No, they take credit cards/debit cards as well.

The ALDI I go to doesn't take credit or check. Only debit cards, cash, and EBT. They save money by not paying fees when you use a credit card.

Unfortunately, it's that fact that keeps me from going there (and to Sam's Club) more!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?

The ALDI I go to doesn't take credit or check. Only debit cards, cash, and EBT. They save money by not paying fees when you use a credit card.

Unfortunately, it's that fact that keeps me from going there (and to Sam's Club) more!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi!! Seriously..some of their stuff is so much cheaper...its not even funny...Yes, they have bags, but they cost..and yes, you need a quarter for the cart...

I usually get the following:

Egg Substitute (less than $2.00!!)
    Tuna
    String Cheese
    Bread (sometimes...I like deli flats more)
    chicken breast
    lean hamburger and/or turkey
    VEGGIE CHIPS/STRAWS (these are the bees knees! Seriously.these are GREAT)
    Fish
    WATER

The Fit N Active product line is great..they even have fiber bars, cereal bars, ETC...
    and they have a pretty decent selection of spices for a low price..even olive oil is less than 5 bucks!

You do have to look at the fresh veggies and fruits..depends on what they get on the truck, i suppose...

Good Luck and HAPPY SHOPPING!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Do they only take cash?

mine only takes credit cards with a pin and cash of course

I love Aldi's shop there first then head off for anything I can't find or things we have found that we don't like, hubby doesn't like their pop( I don't drink any so I really could care less!)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    They also offer specials each week- both food and things like appliances, lawn furniture, etc.

Here's a link to their online circular- so you can find plan ahead

http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

Enjoy!

I love their produce- and their prices.

And their brand of cream of chicken soup does NOT contain MSG(monosodium glutamate) and isn't expensive like Campbell's Healthy Request brand- it's like 50 or 60 cents/can.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love me some Aldi's!

I ditto everything above and add that I love the balsamic vinaigrette. Only 35 or 45 calories a serving. They also have almond milk now. yay!

Lettuce is really cheap there too.
  • Needthisforme
    Options
    Aldi is a god sent in our house with 4 kids and I'm the only one working it feeds all of us on a tight budget. the food i have never had problems with and they also sell some other stuff there as well. I do most of my food shopping there that are very cheap no name brands but the food taste good. they have a wide variety of items as well...
  • monstr0sity
    Options
    Here in Australia, I shop for most stuff at Coles and the fruit veg markets but I make the trip to Aldi aswell because you just can't beat those permanent bargains!

- Milk
    - Bread
    - Eggs
    - English Muffins
    - Cheese
    - Frozen veg
    - Margarine

My housemates love the frozen pies, chicken nuggets and chocolates too. I have to admit German chocolate is divine!

I've also bought my toilet brush/holder, bathroom basin set, scales and various other bits and pieces there. :)
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started shopping aldi at easter because I couldn't make it out of town to go to sams club to get our easter ham and friend of mine swore that Aldi's hams were just as good as Sams and just as cheap. So I tried it, and I keep going back. I don't buy everything there, but I am brand particular on a lot of things, but I buy all of our milk, cheese (super cheap BTW), cereal, bread, eggs, and a lot of our produce there. Today... Strawberries were $.99 a pound, Pineapples were 1.89, grapes were 1.89 for 2 lbs package, artisian mini lettuce heads were 1.89 per package (4 heads per package), lettuce was .87, sweet potatoes were 1.89 for 3lbs, bananas .39lb. Whole frozen chickens are .88 a lb (we've started roasting one every sunday like my grams did) I also buy the kids ice cream treats there, my husband fiber granola bars, and hubs potato chips (he says the hot ones are really really good).

What I don't like - their canned fruit. I think its mushy. Their spaghetti sauce - it doesn't taste so great and not that much cheaper than other stores, Not sure whats up with their frozen pancakes and sausage, but my kids don't like them.

Oh... one little tip. They have a counter area to bag up your stuff, but I think its so much easier to just take the cart full of stuff out to my van, open the cargo bay, set up my bags in there, and just fill my bags right there. That way you dont' have people backed up behind you wanting the counterspace, and you can take you time to get your food bagged up they way you want it. :)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    REPORTING BACK!!! So, I hit up ALDI and my usual $200 grocery trip was $140! Granted, I didn't buy any toiletries, but still.. I feel like a saved a lot! Best savings IMO was the cold cereal, HELLO! $1.49 for a box of "Cinnamon Toast Crunch" - husband hasn't complained that it tastes like cardboard (which was the first thing out of his mouth when I tried buying the Great Value version). I had the Millville version of Kashi's Go Lean Crunch, tasted normal to me!

I love the sliced cheese and swiped some frozen salmon fillets, can't wait to try them. Their meat selection looked very fresh and will test out some sirloin tonight.

This trip I couldn't find chicken broth or sour cream, but maybe next time they will have that odd ball stuff!

Thanks for all the tips and ideas everyone!

@Karamille - I loaded my cart up at my car and it seemed like the way to go!! Thanks!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Glad you saved money and are enjoying the food. I honestly haven't had ONE bad thing from Aldi, and I've been shopping there awhile. Thanks for the report back!

PS - Sour cream is in the diary section next to the cottage cheese; chicken broth is on the endcaps close to the registers. My Aldi has the "fit and active" chicken broth!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So I'm late to the party, but I wanted to get in on the Aldi love! They're great for baked chips, baking goods, milk, eggs, butter, lunchmeat & cheese. There is a great produce market half a mile past the one I go to, so I don't usually get a lot of fruits & vegetables there. I'm also not a huge fan of their fresh ground beef, but I still do at least half of my monthly shopping there!