Anyone shop at ALDI?

Options

Replies

• nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Happy someone posted this.. I used to shop at Aldi back in NY before my health kick... wondering if they have any all natural products these days? Is it worth going there just to get veggie's and unprocessed stuff? (Will go to a bigger store to get all natural other food?) curious.... Looking for any way to save some mulah... ;) Thanks All!
  • MsCandyLynn
    MsCandyLynn Posts: 123
    Options
    99% of shopping is done at Aldi's the only thing i avoid from aldi's is the bread (no low cal bread) and the produce... i find it to be a better taste from the farmers market but i save tons of money and still eat healthy,
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I think i need to try Aldi!
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    This is so funny to read!

In my country Aldi is seen as crappy German food of bad quality that only cheap people will buy :ohwell:

Of course not all think like this, but the majority does!

I never shop there, but that has nothing to do with their rep!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think i need to try Aldi!

I am thinking the same thing!
  • Dianielle
    Dianielle Posts: 50
    Options
    They have a good brand called fit and active!!! Try it!!!
  • JTurner112869
    JTurner112869 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Aldi only accepts cash and ATM/Debit cards....they will not accept credit. I would call before visiting your local Aldi and see what their policy is.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My Aldi only accepts cash and ATM/Debit cards....they will not accept credit. I would call before visiting your local Aldi and see what their policy is.

Unfortunately, one way they keep their prices down is that they don't have a phone line to call and ask questions. However, it's a good idea not to rely on a credit card. Ours doesn't take it either.... only debit card. The reason they don't accept credit cards is that the credit card companies make money on the transactions charging the stores a transaction fee. So I don't mind, Aldi's prices are soo good and my kids like their boxed cake and brownie mixes better than the name brands! The prices make up for any inconveniences!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The Fit and Active Vanilla yogurt is awesom in smoothies and parfaits..... I like the spaghetti sauce, they have whole wheat noodles of all varieties. Sometimes they even have Lobster tails for 12.99 which is a great deal copared to what u pay at a restaurant! Eggs, butter and milk are good but are cheaper at Kwik Trip...(if you have this gas station by you) The Fit and Active string cheese is really good too. Good place to save a buck!!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    If for nothing other than produce it's totally worth the shop!

This week alone at my store:

Pineapple: 0.99 Walmart is 2.50
    Pound of red cherries: 2.50 Walmart nearly 4 bucks
    3 bell peppers 0.99 A buck a piece at other stores

You get the picture.....

One of my fave Fit and Active products is the Peanut Butter and Chocolate protein bars. I think they are about 4 bucks for a pack of either 6 or 8... (You need to check the sugar count though, as I recently have been trying to eliminate sugars...)

Also... LOVE the roasted red pepper hummus.... Light string Cheese... they also have fresh ground beef that's super lean for cheaper than other stores. It's good. I want to say its 95/5 but I'm not certain....

The frozen salmon is great....(check sodium contents if you are sensitive to that...)

I don't buy bread there b/c it has high fructose corn syrup...but...if that doesn't bother you then they have a great price for wheat bread.

Whole wheat pasta is great..... Blue corn tortilla chips.... their cereal and quick oats are also a great deal!

Let us know how you stock up!! :0)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I love my Aldi's and do most of my grocery shopping there. Here is a quick list of foods I get at mine on a regular and as need basis:

Vegetable oil
    EVOO
    brown sugar
    salad dressings (for the hubby)
    milk
    eggs
    cheddar cheese blocks ( I usually shred my own cheese-but they do also have shredded)
    Romaine Lettuce
    Spinach leaves
    veggies-broccoli,Red, yellow and orange peppers, mushrooms, celery, cucumbers and zuchinni, carrots, sweet onions
    fruits-apples, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, oranges, lemons, frozen mixes for my smoothies
    red potatos
    millville steel cut oats
    tuna in the pouches (I like the original kind)
    hummus-garlic lovers (its very strong in garlic flavor so beware if you don't like garlic), if they have the garden veggie one thats my favorite!
    meats-lean ground turkey, tilapia fillets, cheddar brats, hams
    corn tortillas
    mama cozzi pizzas are pretty good too and not $$$
    millville granola cereals
    I also get my paper products here-toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, plates

yes I love Aldis :)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OOH! I found some Turkey Italian Sausage there and it's pretty good!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I am in the UK and I like ALDI. I don't care if people think that makes me seem cheap - the fact is its got tons of great products, they actually push their healthy produce unlike Tesco who seem to want to catch me with their evil muffins on the way in, with ALDI the first thing I see is their SUPER6 offer on fruit and veg..

Their fish is good too!
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I do! :)

Yes, you need a quarter for your cart, but you will get it back when you return your cart at the end of your shopping trip. You also need to bring your own bags or get boxes from inside the store to take your items home in (they charge for bags). You will also be bagging your items yourself (I just do it at my car because it's easier that way with my 2 year old).

As far as what foods I recommend, I suggest getting the following there:
    Milk ($1.79/gallon at mine)
    Eggs (.47/dozen at mine)
    Bananas (.44/lb at mine)
    Strawberries ($1.29/lb at mine)
    Bread (if you don't have access to a bread store)

Also, their Fit & Active line of food is tasty. I especially like their chocolate rice cakes and fudge bars. They make for some yummy, low calorie treats :)

where do you live? these prices are 1/2 of what i pay!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here is right. I LOVE ALDI! The think you should know about Aldi is that most of thier products are made by the name brand companies (i.e. Kraft, Kellogs etc,) BUT they just dont put the name brand on the product...therefor they dont have to charge as much. So i find it funny when people think its 'cheap food' because a lot of it is the same exact product you will find at Walmart or a big chain supermarket!

I love the fact that they have whole wheat pasta, brown rice and the whole Fit and Active line is awesome.
  • megaloox
    megaloox Posts: 31
    Options
    At any given time, you could probably open my fridge or cabinet doors and find 3/4 of the stuff is from Aldi. Granted, I'm a poor college student who does freelance work for a living, so I'm willing to be seen as "cheap" in exchange for some relatively decent food for a lot less.
    I really like the Fit N' Active line; they make it easy to eat healthier foods without completely emptying your wallet.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I do! :)

Yes, you need a quarter for your cart, but you will get it back when you return your cart at the end of your shopping trip. You also need to bring your own bags or get boxes from inside the store to take your items home in (they charge for bags). You will also be bagging your items yourself (I just do it at my car because it's easier that way with my 2 year old).

As far as what foods I recommend, I suggest getting the following there:
    Milk ($1.79/gallon at mine)
    Eggs (.47/dozen at mine)
    Bananas (.44/lb at mine)
    Strawberries ($1.29/lb at mine)
    Bread (if you don't have access to a bread store)

Also, their Fit & Active line of food is tasty. I especially like their chocolate rice cakes and fudge bars. They make for some yummy, low calorie treats :)

where do you live? these prices are 1/2 of what i pay!

I live in TX, about 30 minutes south of Dallas/Fort Worth. We do have cheap(er) milk and eggs here.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love ALDI. I knew it was in my town but never shopped there until I met my husband (I have no idea why.) I don't care if it makes me seem cheap - more fool the person who pays higher prices for the same stuff, IMO! I have other things to spend money on...like gas...

I love the Fit & Active Chicken Noodle Soup. Haven't made the switch to their brand of yogurt yet (I love my Yoplait), but their version of Lean Pockets are pretty good, too. They also have some pretty good frozen stir-fry mixes. Lately I've been stocking up on the red,yellow and orange bell peppers because they've been AMAZING - so yummy! And the Light & Fit Caesar salad dressing...AND the Millville high fiber Cinnamon Swirl Oatmeal...etc.

I even have a special compartment in my purse for my "ALDI key," aka a quarter - it does NOT get spent under any circumstances! ;)
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    I realize my comment could be misunderstood and I never meant to offend anyone by calling them cheap (which I dont think you guys are, you are just smarter than most!!) :ohwell:

I just find it fascinating that some things are so different, even in this small and globalized world of ours :noway:

Sorry to anyone, who found it offensing! :heart: