MFP Cycle Gang--09/22/2008

Options
13»

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Yes, I am now on the hunt for a road bike. We have two very nice Trek hybrids that were purchased in May and June and plan on taking them to the bike shop and see what we can get for trade or possibly selling them on craigs list or ebay.

Oh no! You don't sell those Hybrids--you might want to do some off riding or MTB riding one day. Just buy new bikes--one must have a "stable" of bikes so you have to choose from. I mean, would a golfer play with just 1 club?? :happy:
  • shorerider
    Options
    The Rosarito-Ensenada Bike ride was a ton of fun. It was a little foggy in the morning, but burned off and was an absolutely beautiful day. Very fun ride along the Baja coast. Very long day! I'll post pictures soon.

Today my plans are to watch other guys exercise on TV. Go Chargers.

glad it was good weather--it's raining here AGAIN. I'm sick of this rain.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Yes, I am now on the hunt for a road bike. We have two very nice Trek hybrids that were purchased in May and June and plan on taking them to the bike shop and see what we can get for trade or possibly selling them on craigs list or ebay.

Oh no! You don't sell those Hybrids--you might want to do some off riding or MTB riding one day. Just buy new bikes--one must have a "stable" of bikes so you have to choose from. I mean, would a golfer play with just 1 club?? :happy:

Would you speak to my wife? She thinks it's rediculous that I have 3 bikes, 2 of which I rarely ride. Plus I want a road bike. My mountain bike is a lot of work when I do a road ride like yesterday.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No swim for us today either: they called the swim at 7 a.m. So it was a duathlon, run-bike-run. Finished in about 1:32 and change. Riptides. The rain held off here so we raced in a slight drizzle for parts of it but I finished in sunshine.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'm blessed in that my DH didn't argue about my "needing" a road bike but understood--but then he has 3 canoes--so how could he! :laugh:

I'll tell you though--I'm still amazed at the difference between my Hybrid and my road bike. Just absolutely no comparison. Think donkey vs. thorough-bred race horse or or VW beetle vs. hot-rod. On my Hybrid, I could maintain 14-15mph for maybe 10 miles, and that was flat out killing my HR. On my road bike, I can maintain 14mph without even getting my HR over 120. If I push it, I can keep up 17-18 easy for miles and miles. And, then I can really push it and get 20-21 for maybe a mile or two before having to back off. But that will improve as time goes on and I get healthier!

Thing is, now I do have to go further to burn the same amount of calories as before--since it's a more efficient machine, it takes less effort to push it down the road; so, less calories burned for same amount of work.

But, now I can go out and do longer rides, too, because I can do them in shorter amounts of time.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all. I did not want to feel left out so I went for the longest bike ride I have ever done. I rode 50 miles for the first time. No real problems except for a couple of West Coast Hills (got to the bottom, looked up and it might as well have been Mt. Everest!):tongue:

Also tried out my Timex Triathalon HR monitor for the first time. Could you please tell me how I am going to eat an additional 3,500 calories!:explode:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Congratulations to all. I did not want to feel left out so I went for the longest bike ride I have ever done. I rode 50 miles for the first time. No real problems except for a couple of West Coast Hills (got to the bottom, looked up and it might as well have been Mt. Everest!):tongue:

Also tried out my Timex Triathalon HR monitor for the first time. Could you please tell me how I am going to eat an additional 3,500 calories!:explode:

Awesome! thumbup6ly.gif

Yes, the extra calories are the BEST part!!!!!!!!! Going for a long ride tomorrow, planning maybe 30-40 miles, so am already thinking of all the good stuff I can eat! excited.gif
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The extra calories ARE the best, but I'm with you - how do you eat THAT much? :tongue: Nice problem to have eh?

I did a 60 miler today, over rolling hills. I had a total elevation gain of about 1000 feet. I have a triple and only had to drop to the middle chain ring once. Finished in 3 hours 41 minutes, and burned (according to my HRM) 4000 calories - I think my HRM is a little generous, so I tend to not count everything. I had a good average pace of 16.7 mph. Nice to be riding more gently rolling hills. So much of California is UP!

Happy riding everyone! Enjoyed the reports!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I make up my calories with a banana smoothie or a BIG glass of soy milk and then usually have some pasta--the pasta makes a big dent in the calories.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am attempting to put a photo on here. They had some photogs taking pictures along the route. I am the one in the back in the hot pink sleeveless shirt. My husband, Newman is in the neon green/yellow. The guy by me in the blue is our friend Jason. He just started riding again a few weeks ago and he rode the metric with me, b/c we were both so slow!! My hubby, the speed demon took off, but he knew I had Jason there to keep me company!!
    47b8d709b3127cce98548a22267200000046100AatGbdkzcsmWA
    Here is Newman
    47b8d709b3127cce98548b3de7c500000046100AatGbdkzcsmWA
    Here is me
    47b8d709b3127cce98548b0de7f500000046100AatGbdkzcsmWA
  • shorerider
    Options
    Cool! Looks like a nice rural route, too--at least that part. Love the pink, too!