Warrior Dash: Mud, Sweat, Blood and Beer! Lotsa pics.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
If you've read pretty much anything I've written, you'd know one thing, because I never shut up about it. I started exercising six months ago all because of a friend at a party showed a very, very, very drunk me some photos of the Warrior Dash on her phone. It was a lightbulb moment. Most incredibly, I remembered that lightbulb moment the next day. That was December 11th, and exactly six months later, on June 11th, we ran the Pocono Mountain Warrior Dash.

The past few days have been a blur of awesomeness. On Thursday, my 39th birthday, I reached my goal weight, detailed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/261282-mission-thin-possible-6-months-of-weekly-pizza

Then Saturday, up before dawn to join my brother, his daughter, her new husband and their friends for the Dash. My husband came along as photographer. A fractured heel and torn Achilles a few months back sidelined any plans for joining us. He had the most emotionally charged day. While we were running around the woods being nuts, he was standing around waiting for an hour, watching people getting carted off by medics, convinced his wife was lying in a ditch somewhere.

Before the Dash:

IMG_0655.jpg

Front: My brother Jay. Back: Me, my niece's husband Ed, my niece Sarah, and friends Jess and Mike. It looks so sunny and bright in the picture, but it was raining like mad. It let up just before we started running, but still very soggy.

IMG_0680.jpg

I channeled the spirits of my Highland ancestors, and decked myself out in furs, kilt and woad.

IMG_0683.jpg

Keep in mind that six months ago, I was incredibly self-conscious of my back fat rolls. I felt like the Michelin Man. Now I'm prancing around in a fur-trimmed, belly baring halter top.

The running part was a snap for me. The obstacles (and bottlenecks resulting in a whole lotta people hitting the obstacles at once) broke things up nicely. Granted, running on wooded paths with felled trees was a little different for me, but I grew up running around those very woods. My family has a little cabin just two miles away.

There were tarps that we had to crawl under. I was mostly worried about someone stepping on my fingers, and got behind Ed, who crawls amazingly fast.

The "walk the plank" obstacle, up and down 2x6 ramps, would have been a breeze if it wasn't wet wood. And it was a little disconcerting seeing them adding reinforcements as we were going over.

I skipped some of the 4 ft walls. I went over one, and my foot slid way out from under me on top of the wall, and I didn't want to pull something that early on in the race and not be able to finish.

The rope climb wall was genuinely scary. I'd say it was about 12-15 feet high, with 1x4s nailed to the wall for foothold and a knotted rope for climbing. I tackled that sucker, though! I read some scary stories on the Warrior Dash Facebook wall, though. One girl had an open compound fracture and needed to be air lifted to a hospital, getting a steel rod in her leg. Her friend reports she's doing well and wants to do it again next year!

More running in the woods, more mud, then wading through a pond. No obstacles there, other than uneven footing with rocks underfoot. The water was amazingly warm, though. Felt great!

Then some more running in the woods, and that's when I fell. I swear a tree root grabbed my ankle and pulled me down. I haven't trusted trees not to do something like that since seeing Poltergeist when I was 10 years old. Landed on my right knee, cutting it pretty good, but I didn't know that at the time, with a fallen tree across my left ankle/shin, which I did know at the time. Got right back up and kept going.

Somewhere in there was the spider web... cords strung across the path that you had to crawl under. Being short, that was easy for me, but some taller folks had to belly crawl.

Then was a creek with some trees fallen across that you had to climb over. That water was COLD, but felt great on my boo-boo ankle. Then more woods. I overheard people complaining about their calves and hammies on "these hills" but it didn't feel like an incline at all to me. Then the tunnels... crawled through some, was able to duck-walk through others.

The last four obstacles were visible to spectators. The cargo net, "road rage" (junker cars and tires), the fire, and the mud pit. I had no idea my husband was taking our pictures until we got in the mud, which might be for the best, since I was just focused on staying alive, not hamming it up for the camera.

The first runner to finish, going over the cargo net, just to give some perspective on how high that sucker was.

IMG_0694.jpg

Me going over. This one was fairly easy, compared to the rope wall.

IMG_0896.jpg

And I'm down! I like this picture. Very William Wallace. :happy:

IMG_0904.jpg

Fierce determination crawling up on the junker cars. Everything was very wet, and those cars looked slippery!

IMG_0908.jpg

"Don't fall, don't fall, don't fall..."

IMG_0909.jpg

Since I thought my husband was taking pictures by the fire and mud, I hurried my *kitten* up to get there as soon as possible, and ran too fast for him to catch up to me going over the fire!

IMG_0915.jpg

And into the mud. This was horrible. There wasn't enough water in the mix at the time, and it was literally wet concrete. If anyone is familiar with Pocono dirt, it's not soil. It's clay. We could literally not move. I had to ask the big burly guy who got in behind me if he could lift my right leg so I could get it loose! (Bless him!) Once we got the message that the going was easier at the sides, we were able to motor.

IMG_0919.jpg

Sarah, Ed, Jay and I. On the bright side, the slow going in the mud gave my hubs a chance to catch up and snap more photos.

IMG_0924.jpg

You can see how thick the mud is on Jay's hand!

IMG_0927.jpg

Yay, us!

IMG_0939.jpg

The family reunites: Ed, Jay, me and Sarah.

IMG_0942.jpg

Jess and Mike catch up a minute later.

IMG_0952.jpg

Then the hosing!

IMG_0961.jpg

Some folks complained about it being too cold. I didn't feel it. I was too worried about losing a contact!

IMG_0966.jpg

All rinsed off and ready to party!

IMG_0979.jpg

Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud standards gloriously wave,
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.

IMG_0986.jpg

Saying farewell to my shoes...

IMG_0991.jpg

The *other* hosing we got was when we saw how small the free beer was! :laugh: Ok, so 12 oz wasn't much, and $4 for another 12 oz was kind of steep, but otherwise, the food was decently priced. Turkey drumsticks were $6. We got chicken breast sandwiches for $5 each, and since they didn't have roast beef at the time, they gave us free chips. Monster was giving out free energy drinks (oh, hell yeah!) and Bear Naked was giving out granola trail mix. We ate well for $10.

The music was surprisingly good. I didn't watch, so I don't know if it was all one band, or several, or even if some of it was recorded, but what we heard was a good mix. I do recall hearing Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" while running. I thought I was hallucinating, since that's one of the silliest songs I run to.

Craziest part? The bus that shuttled us between the race site and parking. There was a NASCAR race in the Poconos the same weekend, and think our driver belonged there. Insane! I think I got a few more grey hairs.

The parking situation was bad. Only one road in and out, and as we were leaving while folks were still coming in, it was a cluster-f-word. It took us an hour and a half to leave the parking lot. Considering we could have just parked at the family cabin and walked two miles... even more frustrating.

And lastly... my Warrior Legs as they are today. All jacked up. :D

IMG_0998.jpg

If all these photos weren't enough, and you want to see more, check out my video slideshow on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/1jACcTh_Zcg

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Iv always wanted to do some sort of assult course!
    Looks like u had alot of fun!
    Bet u burned **** loads of calories too! ^-^
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE all the action shots your hubby got. You look great as a Warrior!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Awesome pics and story. Keep in mind that there are many other mud runs by different names. You can check them out at www.active.com. I posted a few pics from my mud run on my mfp blog. I only wish we took as many as you, but we plan to do two more mud runs before the end of the year. Great job!:drinker:
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! My friends and I just signed up to do the dash in Minneapolis on the 24th. I am so excited, and will be channeling Keira Knightley circa "King Arthur."
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I love this! A friend of mine was going to do one this year and showed me the website, it looked so fun. But I chickened out, maybe next year when I get all fit and not fat. LOL Your husband got really cool shots of you going through, the live action is awesome!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It looks like you guys had a blast! Great pics thanks for sharing.
  • harleyj
    harleyj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That was so fun to read through! Awesome work! Thanks for sharing!
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Congrats on completing the race. The pictures and your description make it sound like it was incredibly difficult but a fantastic experience as well. I'm going to check and see if there are races like this in my area because I feel inspired to channel my inner warrior as well. Thanks for posting.
  • twentysixpointtwo
    Options
    Wow! I did the MS Mud Run last fall-it was crazy! I admire that you went over the ropes--I have an aversion to anything I can't "hop off" safely :) Awesome outfit!!! You rock!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    You kick *kitten* !!!!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    That looks so fun!! You did great! How much weight have you lost?
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!! I'm doing the Warrior Dash here in Austin in November... have already started training:-)
    I'm even more excited now! A Lil nervous but excited!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    good ****t lady! I"m doing the Whistler Warrior Dash August 6th ! noon wave! can't wait!!!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic!

I'd love to do something like this, I wish one was being hosted near me at some point.

You did a great job - I'm totally jealous :)

(I'm diggin the homage to Scotland....my heritage also. You channelled your inner warrior very well! )
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Incredible! Life time of memories! you looked like you had a blast. Great photos, you should make a photo book.

Pure awesomeness.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures and commentary. Looks like you had a blast! Now, I know how it works. Maybe someday in my future. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • myranda2888
    myranda2888 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If I weren't already signed up for the Indiana one, your post would have had me at hello:D
    I'm beyond excited to do this!!!
    Thanks so much for the pictures, def. looks like an exciting time and I can't wait.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What a great time! :)
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    NIce I cant wait for Warrior Dash
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    Okay, I have a new goal for next year!!

Fantastic pictures, looks like you had a BLAST!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!