Warrior Dash: Mud, Sweat, Blood and Beer! Lotsa pics.

Options

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for mine in 40 days!
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    That looks like so much fun! Yay you guys! :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ok, this makes me want to do one of these! That looks like a LOT of fun! And you yourself are looking amazing!!!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    That looks like an absolute ball!
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    Yes! My friends and I just signed up to do the dash in Minneapolis on the 24th. I am so excited, and will be channeling Keira Knightley circa "King Arthur."

I'm doing this Warrior Dash too!! 5:30 wave on Saturday....

Thanks for the awesome "play-by-play"! I'm even more excited for July 24th to get here!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Yes! My friends and I just signed up to do the dash in Minneapolis on the 24th. I am so excited, and will be channeling Keira Knightley circa "King Arthur."

I'm doing this Warrior Dash too!! 5:30 wave on Saturday....

Thanks for the awesome "play-by-play"! I'm even more excited for July 24th to get here!

I am in the 10:30am wave on saturday.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A bunch of people from my team, Grunt Girl Racing, went to the one in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a bit too much for me!! LOL!! Loved the pics and looks like you had a lot of fun! :drinker:
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It looks like you had a blast. I have to find somebody to do one with down here in FL. I want to but I need some prodding to not chicken out.
  • usmcfemale
    usmcfemale Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had chill bumps reading this! i completed my first duathalon and was so excited to have done something so kick *kitten*!!! you go!!!
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That was awesome! Thanks for sharing! I cant wait till i am in good enough shape to do something like that. I think they had one similar just this past month somewhere on the outskirts of Houston. Maybe next time. Very inspiring!!
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    true warrior status!! I am getting more and more excited for my dash in october! You are an inspiration for sure!
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Amazing job. that looks like lots of fun.
  • ajmz319
    ajmz319 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    a-maz-ing!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I did Keira's makeup for previous Highland costumes. Blue eyeliner pencils work great for the swirlies on her face, and would probably hold up better to the sweating, hosing and rain than the costume makeup I wore. Crayola markers work great for arm "tattoos." It holds up well until you SCRUB it off.

bravetart.jpg

S4010002.jpg

I can't believe that was already 6 years ago! Halloween 2005. I wore that to work, as a vet tech. After a while, I forgot I was in costume, and had to go into an exam room to take someone's poor doggie to be euthanized. While wearing a dagger strapped to my hip. I hope the owner wasn't too traumatized. :(

I donned a wig and similar makeup two years ago with my husband. His kilt was a cheater kilt. I just pleated fabric and hand stitched it onto a pair of shorts. He liked it, so I later made him a real kilt.

Untitled-1-2.jpg

For the Warrior Dash, since we were leaving so early in the morning, I opted for a simpler version of woad, Olga Kurylenko as Etain in "the Centurion."

movies_centurion_01.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    And anyone who's putting it off because you don't think you're in good enough shape, you are so! There were people of every size, age and shape. Most folks were normal, average, non-athletes. Running is not required. It would be a lovely hike, and still a great workout. Might even be more fun, because you'd get to enjoy the scenery! And have less of a chance of falling and hurting yourself.

Any obstacle that's too tough, you can go around. Most of the girls in our wave skipped the wall climb. A lot tried, got maybe two feet up, and hopped back down. But since my niece did it, I wanted to do it, too. I skipped most of the 4ft walls. If they'd been 3.5 ft, I'd have no problem, but I'm kinda short. Most of it was more mentally challenging than physically challenging, and it was an amazing rush to get through them. The cargo net wall looked terrifying, but it was like climbing a ladder. Albeit a rope ladder that moved as others climbed with you.

One tip: Wear fitted clothes. Lycra would be best. Looser fitting shorts, tees... and kilts, get really heavy when they're wet, and even worse when coated in mud. Not to mention getting mud IN your clothes.

Lace and tie your shoes tighter than you've ever done them before, especially if you have your timing chip (and free beer pass) on your shoe. I saw some folks use duct tape under and around their shoes and ankles. That was a good plan. Ankle support plus shoe insurance!

I wore boyshort style bikini bottoms under my kilt. That worked perfect. No major wedgie issues, and the lightweight fabric of the bikini top and bottom dried fast, so I was able to keep my costume on rather than changing into my spare clothes. However, when I got home and changed, my bathroom floor was coated with dirt and sand!

Neoprene knee pads would have been nice. My brother wore lightweight work gloves, and said that helped, but Sarah and I had no problems without them. We had a good time teasing Jay about that... tell him he had girlie hands.

My only regret was ordering my tshirt in a medium when I registered. I lost 20 lbs since then. A small would have fit better. :happy:
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options
    My brother and his wife do this every year... it looks so fun! They did it this past weekend also. Looks so fun!!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing all of that! Hubby and I are planning on doing the Warrior Dash here in NC in August, so I loved the great descriptions of everything and tips. Congratulations!! I'm only a couple of years behind you and about the same size - you're an inspiration :)
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    It's a blast! You'll love it!

We're all still battered and bruised, but looking up other regional mud runs. :smile:
  • chantalicious
    Options
    I'm doing this in October and I can't freaking wait! YAY for you!
  • becka95
    becka95 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great job! Looking to do this race soon! There's a race this fall at a local ski mountain that I'm going to try and do. Another muddy one!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!