What you don't want to hear....

Options
AnaNotBanana
AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
I heard a story on NPR about a guy that had brain cancer. He wrote a book about things NOT to say to people who have serious/terminal illnesses. One of the things he said was he didn't like when people said "You look great" when his hair was falling out in clumps.

It got me thinking what are some of the things that you don't like hearing from people as a result of your weight loss?? I hate it when people say "Wow, you look so much better!!" like I looked awful before?! What are some of the things that people have said to you that were rude/inappropriate/awkward as a result of your weight loss??

Replies

• DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    "You're even starting to lose some of that baby belly!" (My "baby" is nearly 6!)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My husband has terrible foot-in-mouth disease -- even though he's absolutely wonderful, he often says things without realizing how they sound... like, "I never realized how HUGE you were before!"

A couple others that lots of people have said that bothered me:

"You look like a totally different person!"

"I could barely recognize you!"

Now, however, I'm coming to peace with those two comments because, in reality, I do look like a different person - a healthy, more youthful person.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    "what are you starving yourself?"....
    "you? go to the gym? yeah right"
    "you lost weight? you can't really tell"

just to name a few
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    "Oh are you doing a low carb thing?"
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    For me, it's "you don't need to lose any more weight". While it sounds like a compliment and I know they don't mean any harm by it, it can be irritating, especially since they can't seem this layer of belly fat that I hide so well.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Dad says " How much have you lost so far?"
    Me "30 pounds"
    Dad "Hey if you loose another 30 people might start to notice"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not along the lines of, "You looked better when you weighed more." I don't care what they say!

I know my arms, legs, belly, back and chins looked worse. That's why I lost weight.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    "Glad you're finally doing something about it."
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend said one of his good friends told him that "she'd be gorgeous if she were 150pounds".. its great that he thinks im pretty, but i have to be skinny to be gorgeous..

my boyfriend just yesterday said "your looking really good these days"... now at the time i took it as a good compliment, but then now that u mention it, did i not look good before? I know this is not what he meant; he fell in love with me 40pounds ago; but still LOL.
  • Kayamooh
    Kayamooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When people say "oh, she's on a diet" or "how's your diet going?"

I'm not on a diet! I'm just changing my diet! and there is a difference in that.

I'm not doing things strictly, I'm not avoiding foods, I haven't made a huge change.
    But I've made a small change that's significant. It's not a short term "diet".
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    Its about time you came out of denial... REALLY...
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I had to add a few more:

"WHAT DIET ARE YOU FOLLOWING?"

"HAVE YOU TRIED HCG?"

"DID YOU STOP EATING CARBS?"

"WHAT KIND OF PILLS ARE YOU TAKING?"

***** My answer to all of the above - THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL OR SUPER DIET!!! Eat nutritious, well balanced meals and snacks, drink lots of water, and MOVE your body!!!!
  • spifferbella
    Options
    "why are you losing weight; you dont need to lose weight"
    mind you i was over 250lbs(and started at 280lbs) when people started saying this and still saying this at 235lbs
    "when are you going to be done losing weight"
  • SecretlyBatwoman
    SecretlyBatwoman Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had to add a few more:

"WHAT DIET ARE YOU FOLLOWING?"

"HAVE YOU TRIED HCG?"

"DID YOU STOP EATING CARBS?"

"WHAT KIND OF PILLS ARE YOU TAKING?"

***** My answer to all of the above - THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL OR SUPER DIET!!! Eat nutritious, well balanced meals and snacks, drink lots of water, and MOVE your body!!!!

THIS.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When someone else makes a comment about my weigh loss and a "friend" responds... "She doesn't eat anymore" ... umm how about I eat responsibly and exercise! They just totally brush off all of the hard work and commitment I put in to lose weight and make it sound like I've been doing it the unhealthy way.
  • mywaytobeingfit
    mywaytobeingfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ** "Don't lose any more weight. Your getting too skinny". (Where they have only known me 2-4 years)

Then you see other people and you worked so hard and they don't notice. Since those people knew you 8 years ago and according to them they are probably thinking, "Wow she gained weight" but at least they don't say it.

**Or like the other day my sweet friend said, "Wow that is a great picture! When was it taken? (I tell her yesterday. She glances at me) and then says "Really??"

**or my favorite one is hard. I will hear friends after watching the Biggest Loser Finale take about how awful someones arms are and their skin hanging. It hurts. Because that is me. I think I am more confident with my body in the winter. But I'm trying to get over it.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You have SUCH a pretty face its just your belly you need to work on....LIKE OK AM I MADE OF PLAY DUH??? LET ME MOLD U A SIX PACK SO U CAN SHUT IT ...
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    Another one is when people try to tell me what I can and cannot eat - "she can't get that, she's on a diet"
  • Finnity
    Finnity Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had four people ask me if I had weight-loss surgery. I don't know why it bothers me so bad . . .
    Also, I hate hate hate it when they ask me what my goal is and then tell me, "thats unrealistic. You can't lose that much because you're not that heavy." Well guess what, I can, I am, and I will! I weigh 255 lbs, and I don't need anyone trying to feed me sugar-coated lies about it, either. I'm 5'8" tall, and I think 155 lbs is a perfectly reasonable goal weight!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    What pills are you taking?

Which plan are you on?

Are you doing that 700 calorie a day thing? (really!! I get that ALL the time at work, I don’t even know what they are referring to, honestly!!!)

And the off-handed remarks…. Like “I want to sit in her chair” (from someone at the office, I really wanted to say, “sure as long as you get out of it and work your *kitten* off at 5 am every morning, that’ll work for you!!”)

AND…. For the biggie and I know it’s just me… is SKINNY…

Look how SKINNY you are getting!!
    There goes Skinny Mini!

First off I’m just barely out of obese and slowly working my way from overweight to healthy and am no where near skinny… but also, I’ve BEEN skinny… unhealthy, underweight, sick looking, no muscles… THAT’s what skinny means to me so I just hate the word (yea, I have issues, I’m aware!!! :wink: )