What you don't want to hear....

Options

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It always shocks me when people say certain things....like they know what is best for you.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    "Your 40 your not going to look like you did in your 20's" just typing that pissed me off!!!!
    "You've had 4 kids, you can't expect to look like you did before they came along"
    " Your not feeding your kids diet food are you?" well do you mean whole foods rather than processed, than yes I am!
  • smason1284
    smason1284 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when I see someone I haven't seen for awhile and they are like "oh my have you lost weight" Even if I haven't I feel like I need to lie and say "yea I have!"
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I get the "Which surgery did you have?" question a lot. I'm not knocking people who have had surgery at all. My doctor actually recommended that I do it. I just hadn't really tried to do it on my own yet and wanted to try that route first.

And I hate it when people ask me how much I work out, and I tell them I aim for 6 days a week, they say, "Don't you think that's a little obsesive?" NO I DO NOT!!! This is now my hobby! I enjoy it and it's healthy. You play beer pong 6 days a week, I work out lol To each his own
  • jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    what I actually hate most is what is not said.. when someone you haven't seen for awhile eyes you up and down (sometimes multiple times) and doesn't say anything. I can't tell if they're thinking something is different, but can't place it, or if they think I've gained and don't want to say it.... and also when I KNOW that I look better than I did a month ago, and no one notices!
  • Willowalker
    Options
    I have two blubbery cousins who take turns at cheap shots. I join them for dinner at an elderly uncles house to give the "old guy" some company. First there was disbelief, when I explained that I needed to make different meal choices, like there was no way weight loss was ever going to happen.

When the first 20 dropped one cousin asked "How much weight have you lost?" When I responded with 20 pounds, the other said, "Well, you can't tell!"

Once the 30 pound loss was hit, I was tag teamed again! One said, "Wow - you've really dropped weight!" Only to be followed up by the other doofus saying "Yeah, it really shows! Look how flabby you're getting!"

I am thinking of making these two knuckleheads a dessert of brownies laced with x-lax!!! With my luck, my elderly uncle would eat 'em and poop himself to death! (lol!)
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I am thinking of making these two knuckleheads a dessert of brownies laced with x-lax!!! With my luck, my elderly uncle would eat 'em and poop himself to death! (lol!)

Seriously.... just make them a care package to take home with them!!! OOO those two make MY blood boil for you!!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing comments about me being skinny.... ok look folks I am 234 at 5' 7" I am FAR from skinny. I am almost dredding what I will hear when I hit my goal of 160.

Today my boss made me a little self conscious when she looked at me mid sentance and said "holy cr@p!! How much weight have you lost? I can REALLY tell it in your face."
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    my personal favorite is "you're gonna look so hot when you lose all that weight."

there's also the "and you're not diabetic!?!?" really people!?!? REALLY!!?!? geez.

and the ever popular "but you have such a pretty face"

also the rendition of that being "wow you lost weight! you can see it in your face." really? because i want you to see it on my *kitten*.
  • cerob
    cerob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When someone else makes a comment about my weigh loss and a "friend" responds... "She doesn't eat anymore" ... umm how about I eat responsibly and exercise! They just totally brush off all of the hard work and commitment I put in to lose weight and make it sound like I've been doing it the unhealthy way.

exactly! i have a couple friends that always respond with, "he doesn't eat" or "he has like two grains of rice for dinner." with the time and effort i've put into my diet AND exercise, it's almost insulting.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    also the rendition of that being "wow you lost weight! you can see it in your face." really? because i want you to see it on my *kitten*.

Bahahahaha! Love your response!!!
    :laugh:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    **or my favorite one is hard. I will hear friends after watching the Biggest Loser Finale take about how awful someones arms are and their skin hanging. It hurts. Because that is me. I think I am more confident with my body in the winter. But I'm trying to get over it.
    After dropping 90 pounds, I'm fortunate that I don't have more loose skin than I do; however, when my hubby saw me in a bikini for the first time and immediately asked if I could wear a long shirt over it, that hurt. My ribs are visible, but I do have some stretch marks and loose skin on my tummy (although it isn't all that bad) and... this is the worst - my inner thighs - I've lost many inches off my thighs, but the skin didn't bounce back from there as well as it did from my arms and other areas and it does make me self conscious.
    Still, it's better to be healthy with loose skin than obese with firm skin. I keep telling myself that and I told my hubby that, too. He apologized and hasn't said any stinkery things like that since then.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    '' you are skinny so you can it that (that being something fatty)'' Well no, actually it's because that I do not eat that that I am skinny!!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I just go around inlaws and for me them not saying anything bothers me!!! Hello 50 lbs of fat gone!!!! Can someone ask how when why!!!? No they just keep on coming up of ways to lose weight (pills,lipo,accupucture,trainers) makes me mad no one ask for my advice. Oh well there loss
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    "You shouldn't lose too much more weight! You're looking thin."

"How did you lose so much weight? Surgery?"
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    what I actually hate most is what is not said.. when someone you haven't seen for awhile eyes you up and down (sometimes multiple times) and doesn't say anything. I can't tell if they're thinking something is different, but can't place it, or if they think I've gained and don't want to say it.... and also when I KNOW that I look better than I did a month ago, and no one notices!

I agree! I had that happened to me Sunday, saw a relative from along time ago she looked me up & down and needless to say i ignored her the couple of minutes she was around.

I know I was skinny last time she saw me, but I hate the up & down look.
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What I don't want to hear is the crap BEFORE I started exercising:

"Wow. Nice spare" or "You drink a lot of beer?" or "Wow. Look at that gut" and especially derogatory comments from my own parents about my midsection's size, something along the lines of "I can tell you have a desk job" or "You look like you're always in front of a computer." WTF? From my own family? Yeah, that's my life.

Then, when I tell people I'm starting to exercise, I get crap like:

"You think you'll stick with it?" or "psssh, yeah, right" or I get a blank dumbfounded look.

I want to tell people like this to just F off, but I just bite my tongue....
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    " what's your secret? "

The secret is that there is NO bloody secret (for f*cks sake). Count calories and exercise.

Not much of a secret there. :explode:
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Oh yea I remember the ladies in my building asking my hub if I was sick.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is probably the worst one I've heard..... "Wow that must have taken a lot of sacrifice and deprivation" ......REALLY people! I love how ppl don't get that if it's done the healthy way, DEPRIVATION should not be in your vocabulary......