Bullies on MFP

I find it rather odd that I'm posting this topic, as just a couple of days ago I mentioned to a friend on here that I've never really had many problems with hateful PMs and whatnot here on the site. Last night changed that for me. I logged off quite early and when I logged back on I had EIGHT PMs from a female, no location, no photo, no description, no other friends. They said horrible things about my looks, my personality, and my character.

With this said, I am strong enough to have an idea who may have done this, and not let it upset me one bit. However, I do have friends this has happened to and it does upset them. I urge us to report these people and turn them in. Sadly, my bully deactivated by the time I received my messages. A classic, coward-like bully tactic to avoid getting into trouble.

I invite these individuals to read this. Something I wrote, just for you bullies. I implore you to be an adult and either say what you wish without hiding behind a fake profile, or, as pre-school taught us, not to say anything at all if it isn't nice. With that, I leave you with this:

What if you judge a person, unaware of the lives the lead?
What if they are tormented and sad and your hate is the last thing they need?
What if they are lonley and simply looking to be a friend?
What if they despise their life and often wish it would come to an end?

What if they are insecure and self conscious, yet you continue to poke and pick?
What if your meanness and sarcasm upsets them until they are literally sick?
What if they are so close, and it is your negativity that could push them over the edge?
What if all they need in life is to not be bullied and discouraged?

What if you stopped harassing them, they might turn out alright?
What if you got to know them, instead of choosing to bully and fight?
What if you put yourself in their shoes, then maybe you will see...
How much pain and agony you cause and just how damaging you can be!

What if you just left them alone, knowing it is the right thing to do...
You know that is what you'd wish for....if it were happening to you.

Replies

• SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Amen, sistah!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    So sorry that happened to you DA, and others of course *HUGS* I hate the fact that there are people like that out in the world. Especially when the attack my "family". What you wrote, well said.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Whoa!!! I can't believe that happened! I'm completely shocked! Who knows the motive, who knows the intention, sometimes people are just meanies. Wow! Good post, get the word out. I feel for some, messages like that would really put a damper on all the work they've done.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Thanks baby. so sorry it hapoened to you!! There are som haters on here for sure and my pm box seems to be a warm place foe them to slither too also
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    That's crazy! I'm sorry that happened :(
  • kctbo
    kctbo Posts: 29
    So sorry this happens. Makes me sick to my stomach. Wish mean people could gather at their own site and abuse each other. I wish you a GREAT day filled with happiness and love!!!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Awwww...Oh, girl. I'm so sorry that happened to you ;-( That was a very mean spirited and awful and yes, very COWARDLY thing for someone to do.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    bloody good points well made DA!

far to much of it on a site that is BY the people FOR the people...........everyone else should be rounded up and dispatched with, so us normal people can be rid of these feckless fools and waste of air !
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Like other posters, I'm very sorry that you were the target of such a mean and immature person...

I'm afraid that your quite clever lines won't affect those bullies out there. These people only feel good when others around them are miserable...

Sad, but true.

Don't let it get to you though. We can't have them win this lame game they're playing.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Wow, darkangel, that was beautiful what you wrote and so true.

Without getting to personal, I really don't get bullys at all. My family had a very very sad outcome because of bullying. It is serious!

Thank you for posting that.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    I think we just need an *kitten* kicking party and get all the haters!

Bu seriously there is no need for that. Some people just don't have a life.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Good for you to realize it was a coward playing a game, and their words should be taken with a gain of salt. Goodness knows they would never dare say it under their real profile, they would surely never say it to your face, and they will continue this game as long as it is fun for them. I loved reading what you wrote! It is very true. Sadly people like the one that messaged you will not care if their words are the last words a weaker soul would have read. You are a great person, and support so many! Keep up the good work!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    This seems to be going around, Cuz. I'm waiting for my turn. Love you and see you in July.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Very well written post! I have been lucky in not receiving any "hate PMs"...I guess if I do, and especially if they are anonymous, I will consider the cowardly source, and completely ignore it. I am too old to give two Sh!ts what a coward thinks of me. It's the nature of the beast in the internet age to have your fair share of *kitten* hats on here and the site is getting more and more popular...so the "*kitten* hat quotient" is bound to go up...

For all of my dear MFP friends that have to deal with this crap, let it flow over you like water off a duck's *kitten* and tell them where to stick their ignorant rhetoric...they aren't worth getting worked up over AT ALL...
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    I agree - we're all here for the same reasons.

Either be helpful, or be gone!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Im so sick of this crap really I am....im sorry this happened to you.People are such freaking cowards hiding behind fake profiles.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." --Plato

If only everyone followed this philosophy, right?
    This is no place for bullying....but unfortunately it has been going on for a while now. It's immature.
    I have fallen victim to it on a few occasions.

I'm sorry that this happened to you DA.

Dani
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    I think bullying occurs from a persons inability to cope with their own life's problems. I find it sad, however, I find that their victoms pay the price. I am so sorry it happened to you and to others. I had no idea. I've been lucky to have found supportive MFP pals, and am grateful for them all.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Cowards like this either need to STFU or DIAF. I am not a proponent of telling people what to do, but this is ridiculous. Mainly we need the ability to report PM's. Unfortunately that won't stop a troll from making another account, unless this place has the ability to ban IP addresses (which every forum I was a mod in had that ability).

On the other hand...and I have all love for my peeps, we need to recognize that there are trolls out there. Some random unknown messages me, I give their message the same credibility as the emails I get stating I have some long lost uncle trying to get money in the US. Listen to your friends and *kitten* the rest.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Sad to hear about the negativity you received.
    Reminds me of something my Father used to tell me:
    "Only worry about the opinions of the people you know and respect."
    Keep well and all the best on your journey!