confused... my FAT pal?

Options
13»

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I never get nasty messages :(

I never got picked for volley ball either.

I did get picked out of a line up one time!! That was cool... at first.

I totally just lol'ed at work. teehee
  • Silverstrand
    Silverstrand Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I guess you have to look at both sides. If you’ve been bullied all of your life by skinny people making fun of your weight, you might hold some grudges. While I definitely would never bully someone else, understand that it’s also hard to make a connection with someone not in the same boat. I started a weight loss program a few years ago. The doctor heading up the clinic was overweight herself. The fact that she was on the program, and having success, was really inspiring to me. She ended up moving her practice, and the program was taken over by someone who was about 1/4 of my size, extremely fit and energetic. She was a doll, but I just couldn't make the same connection with her. I quit the program.

I now know that there were definitely other factors in falling off the wagon, and it really had nothing to do with this other person. It was all me, my lack of motivation, self esteem, and will power. I LOVE coming on here and seeing the success stories, the befores and afters. Makes me feel like if YOU can do it, I can do it. And the fact that you're sticking around, for whatever reason (maintaining, bulking up, still losing weight – whatever) makes me extremely grateful. You’ve been there and done it, and I personally need YOU to help me make it through. So don’t ever think you’re not wanted or needed here, even if there are a few jerks who may say otherwise.
  • Silverstrand
    Silverstrand Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is the second thread Ive read this morning about jerks sending nasty messages to members, insulting them, etc.

It's friggin ridiculous that people can't come here and post without some asshat sending them nasty messages for no reason other than pure, unadulterated jealousy.

Personally, the fit folks around here inspire me. I don't have the time to dig into every member's history to see if they came here fat and got thin or what, but it doesn't matter. If you are in good shape, you're an inspiration to me, so thanks for not being a tubby. You're obviously doing something right, and the content of your posts is likely going to help me get to my goal as well.

There were some really high and mighty meanies on another forum I used to post on. They'd get wicked nasty with other members for 'not following the plan as written', they'd insult people to their faces, talk about them out in the open right on the forums, start crap on other people's threads just because folks there were looking for support after they screwed up and ate off plan, while these 'superior' folks who 'never' ate off plan didn't need any support other than the kind they found by sitting around in the daily thread they'd start, just to talk crap about others on the forum. Funny thing is, while these people DID make it to the 'maintenance phase' of the program quickly because they 'did the plan as written', nearly ALL of them gained the weight back after transitioning into maintenance. Oh sure, they had their pitiful excuses as to why the weight came back, but the long and short of it was, they only did the weight loss phase and transition phase 'as written'. They didn't do the maintenance phase 'as written' or they wouldn't have gained their weight back.

The world is full of all kinds of people. I learned a long time ago not to let what anonymous strangers hiding behind their monitors and keyboards had to say bother me. It's just not worth it, and I really don't have any sympathy or time for people like that.

There might have been a time where I would send someone who made a comment like this a message telling them how hurtful that comes across. Obviously now I can't directly approach someone privately and discuss what I see as rude and threatening comments.

"Don't hate me cuz I'm Beautiful"

You have the right to say what you want and I have the right to the feelings it creates. Maybe, in some cases, it's not about how thin and suddenly more beautiful and wonderful and precious you are. Maybe, in some cases it's has nothing to do with your goals, or your weight. Maybe some of these messages are initiated by people reading comments like this and they're sick and tired of being referred to as a "***edited by moderator*** ".

Because not only are you calling out the persons sending hateful PMs -- but you're basically insulting everyone on here who hasn't reached the "ideal" weight. Myself included. And frankly -- persons who have reached their "ideal" weight wonder why persons who haven't "hate on them" -- from my POV -- alot of it has to do with messages like this.

I can't -- nor do I want to bother -- changing your opinion of people like me -- but I equally have the right to point out that what you've said above is not concurrent with the goals of this website.

I totally agree. This comment made me extremely uncomfortable. Why resort to name-calling?
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    To anyone sending hate mail, I encourage you to

kdtzwi.png
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Amen!

That was one of the first things I noticed when I signed up on MFP. There was the option for losing, gaining or maintaining, that means everyone's welcome. We all should root eachother on not turn on one another.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    A couple of reminders here:

First, if you are receiving PM's that are inappropriate, you can block the person. If you feel it needs further action, simply write Mike or a mod a PRIVATE message to let us know and we will look into the matter. DIscussing the person/situation on the boards is NOT a solution (not saying anyone has done that here, just a reminder).

Second, I want to remind everyone of some of the forum rules that are relevant to this topic and some of the things being discussed:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

5) Topics which are started with the intent to denigrate, belittle, or disparage another MyFitnessPal member, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. Such topics will be instantly deleted and may result in the banning of the original poster. This includes following another poster around in the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, spreading gossip or rumors, posting email exchanges between users, etc. Keep the drama off the forums!

6) Do not post an email or mail message from any other MyFitnessPal user or moderator on the forums at any time.

7) No explicit, sexual, offensive, insulting or vulgar content or language. This includes any explicit or "risque" images. The MyFitnessPal forums are rated PG-13.

8) No derogatory or offensive references to sex, gender, ethnicity, religions, or sexual orientation.

There are always people with differing opinions, and people who voice those opinions in an inappropriate manner. We (moderators and Mike) do our best to keep this a welcoming and supportive site to everyone at any stage of the fitness process. So please let us know when there are specific issues that need to be addressed. We can't fix it if we don't know about it.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

ETA: I have edited/removed some comments that violate forum rules. Please keep it respectful and PG-13. Thank you.
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think the PG 13 aspect is important here. I love seeing success stories. I love reading about someone who has always been slim, but wants to be healthy now. What I don't like is going to a forum post about a new chicken recipe and being hit with half-naked provocative photos designed to show off the success. Inside a person's profile- sure, show off! On the open forums, cover up.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think the PG 13 aspect is important here. I love seeing success stories. I love reading about someone who has always been slim, but wants to be healthy now. What I don't like is going to a forum post about a new chicken recipe and being hit with half-naked provocative photos designed to show off the success. Inside a person's profile- sure, show off! On the open forums, cover up.

There really is no rule against the half naked pics as long as nothings hanging out,and a little tiny user pic is real easy to pass by.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Oh and if people cant even handle the sight of a little skin on here how do they even manage at the beach or pool:laugh:
  • Mumblelove
    Mumblelove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    See, this proves my theory that there will never be peace in the world until we are attacked by alien forces. If a bunch of people with similar goals (to be healthier and improve themselves) cannot effectively get along, how will people will different goals ever be able to do it?

It's exhausting being right this often. It's quite a burden.

Thanks for proving my point, MFP. I think...

1. I love you lol
    2. I'm actually leaning towards zombie apocalypse
    3. I'm pretty sure its gonna be me and my friend making the t-virus
    4. This is like the "stay classy" thread, some people on here just need to get laid....
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options

It's exhausting being right this often. It's quite a burden.

I have this problem too!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    After the dude running in a g-string this weekend, I'm completely desensitized to skin. :laugh:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Yeaaah. Half is the key word. That's the difference between PG-13 and R (not to get too deep into the movie metaphor here).
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds like their attitude or the things they were posting were offensive to others. Not them being skinny. No one cares how much anyone on here weighs, we just want a nice group of people to talk to.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Well it sounds like their attitude or the things they were posting were offensive to others. Not them being skinny. No one cares how much anyone on here weighs, we just want a nice group of people to talk to.

So telling someone they shouldnt be on here because they are "skinny" has nothing to do with anyones weight?
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options

So telling someone they shouldnt be on here because they are "skinny" has nothing to do with anyones weight?
    Exactly... Thats one thing that was said.... Which got me to thinkin...n posting
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I get a few PMs every now and then telling me what a b!tch i am an stuff,i usally print them out an put them in my scrapbook

LMAO!!!! Nice!
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    :smile: WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

lets all hold hands n sing kumbaya... or however its spelled lol

ME TOO i WANNA SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ticwezzy
    Options
    WELL SOME STUFF MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE THIS IS MYFITNESSPAL.COM BUT TO SOME ITS myFATpal.com PEOPLE CAN JUST FIND SOMETHING NEW 2 TO, SOMETHINGS GOTTA WORK TO GIVE YOU MUSCLES TO LOOK SLIM OR SEXY
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later on my phone.