Do you ever feel embarassed being seen exercising? (home,gym

Options
124»

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I was embarrassed when we did hip movements at Jazzercise. After a couple months though I was yelling, "Naughty Hips, Yes, Naughty Hips"! I guess you could say I got over it.
  • outwiththeoldinwiththenew
    Options
    Can totally relate. I do Turbo Jam and I have a 5 and 7 year old. I love Turbo Jam but lets be honest some of her moves are a little sexual and it looks funny when your watching, My kids will stand in the hallway and laugh and say shake it momma. I also have to confess since I work out at home and hate being too hot I dont wear the most attractive workout clothes (sometimes just sports bra, undies and sneakers and socks....sorry for the visual). HOWEVER , with all that being said my kids try to do it with me and they sing the songs so be proud I know I am because its teaching them something too.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I used to get embarrased because I know I'm large and stuff moves in ways I'd rather it didn't and because I know I'm not as small as the hardbodies in the gym around me. But I finally said **** It! I look this way now but I'm in here putting in the work to change. The last thing I'm worried about know is what others think about how I look when I work out.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd say no to feeling embarrassed, but yes to knowing I must look absurd! I take a jazzercise/step style class once a week and we work out to 70's-80's aerobics music. The cheesiest music ever, but I love it because it's so different from my normal class. We do all kinds of ball-chains, high kicks, etc. The class is in a busy shopping center, and the building is all windows. So everyone walking by can watch us do glute bridges (the most awkward exercise ever). I also do push-ups to side planks on my torso strength day, and at the end of each set I more or less faceplant into the mat.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels a bit embarrassed because it feels like being on display... I know that for me, I just had to stop taking things so seriously. Once I was able to laugh at myself for how I looked doing exercises or tripping while I'm jogging on the sidewalk (which I tend to do often because of my short legs lol), I didn't care if others did too. But having the embarrassment hold you back is what is going to hurt you because once you don't care that others see you, it's going to open up so many more opportunities for bettering yourself and increasing your confidence. So what if I tripped into someone doing zumba? They obviously weren't paying attention either right? And then we could laugh about it as I apologized.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i dont care about working out at the gym, even in classes, but i would feel like a total dork if my mom or even husband walked in on me doing zumba or something at home lol.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha Last summer when I was doing a Jillian Michaels DVD, my boyfriend loved to pause his video game and watch me. Ugh. Drove me crazy!!!! Don't worry about it, just keep telling yourself that you're making yourself healthier!!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Omg, this post made me laugh!! YES, I always go to the treadmill that's in the corner by the wall in the dim light, or the elliptical that's farthest away; totally helps me to just have that feeling that I'm in my own world. Of course, I did the same thing in school too-- always choosing the desk at the back of the class! Hopefully it will change, as I start getting that gym bunny thang going on. Fingers crossed!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    YES, haha. I had a trainer a few years ago so I had to go to the gym and I would laugh the whole time and fool around because I felt ridiuclous(not to mention the trainer sucked, if I said I didnt want to do something or I was done, he let me leave. I needed someone to yell at me and make me do it).

I exercise in my room and lock the door now.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel this way.. my trainer has me do moves that are really awkward to me but to him they are totally normal(like lying flat on my back and raising my pelvis up in the air. I look like I'm humping the air.. awkward!).
    When I'm on the treadmill and people are behind me on the ellipticals, I always worry that someone is staring at my butt as they workout.. which I know is not the case, but you can't help it.

I think what has helped me the most is that my trainer is totally accepting and no matter what I do or how bad I screw up an exercise he shows me, he tells me that I'm doing fine and not to worry. It's that unconditional support that I think a lot of us need the most before we can get comfortable exercising in front of others.
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to feel embarrased to where I wouldn't even exercise in front of my husband! But it has gotten easier as I continue to work out. I am going to start going to a gym when I go back to school in August...so we will see if that self conscience comes back :s