Fit for Fall Challenge - 6/20 - 9/05

Options

Replies

• aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    @ Emariec78 - What about walking with weights? I think if you go at a fast enough pace, you should get a good workout.

My update...

Water: 2/7
    Weights: 2/7 - I wore my "light" 2lb ankle weights during my run. By the end of the run I could barely lift my feet up.
  • shellbell2312
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to weigh in 242
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This challenge I am going to try and update more so I stay motivated.

Update-
    Water- 2/7
    Weights - 1/7

Still trying to make time for workouts with our new family schedule and next week it will change again. LOL we are always on the run making it hard as of recent for me to make the time to workout.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • shellbell2312
    Options
    Sorry sw 240

Gw is 200
  • liz4214
    liz4214 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been doing well with not eating extra after work when I'm bored. I moved dinner up about a half hour to help with this. Also I have tried to keep busy when I get off work. The next step is just to insert exercise into that time slot more often. When I am in school I have more discipline. Now that I am on summer break I just don't have any motivation. Thank goodness I go back in 2 weeks.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Starting today!

CW: 171.8
    GW: 150

NSV: Dumbbell curl 25 lbs and run 5 miles.

Will check back on water and weight situation later.
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello! I hope everyone is having a great start to the new challenge.

I'm having an ok start. I've been getting my water in and then some but haven't been able to work out this week, I'm hoping to get in a workout this evening. I hurt my ankle and have been resting trying to speed up the recovery.

I hope you all have a fantastic hump day -- DRINK UP :smile:!
  • Cusegirl1992
    Cusegirl1992 Posts: 124
    Options
    I've done good with the water so far and added weights Monday, but not yesterday. Does anyone else feel like they get more thirsty when they drink more water? I kept waking up last night feeling so parched! Oh well, I know its good for me.

So I think my body is trying to tell me to stop running. My knees are really acting up, lots of popping and random pains while walking down stairs, etc which I know is a red flag. I also barely could force myself through 30 minutes last night and I usually go at least 40. I think I really only ran about 15 and walked the rest. So I will listen to what my body is saying, but here's my delima-I don't have a gym membership, I don't own a bike, and I can only get to the lap time at the pool on weekends so what am I going to do for cardio?! I'm moving to a new place in 3 wks that has a gym in the apartment complex with elipticals but in the meantime I just don't know what to do! Will switching to walking be enough exercise? It seems like lowering the intensity of my cardio would not be good, anyone know about this? Or is it enough just to keep with the old calories in/calories out?

I'm sorry to "read" about your knee problems. I will tell you that I did walking for the beginning of my "new life" and I lost about 20 pounds. I was doing Leslie Sansone walking videos. I have Comcast for cable and the On Demand has some of her videos there. She combines walking in place with arm movements and just a whole body workout. If you don't have Comcast, then I also know that your library may have some of her videos as well. I hope this helps. :)
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    perhaps a little early to "officially" weigh-in but I jumped on the scale this afternoon and found I was at 171. And this was after I found out how much sodium was in one dill pickle! Lets just say that item won't be repeated on the menu tracker during this challenge!

Another 55 minutes of running and walking today. 110 degrees had me switch to a power walk halfway through. still kept it at a fast pace for the last 25 minutes after running at 6.0mph go 30 minutes. Walked with a 160z waterbottle in each hand to add some weight to the workout. By the end of the hour, I was fighting the urge to drop my hands and let the bottle just swing. Made it through. Must keep up the challenge. Also 12 cups of water for the day.

Bruce
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ellen-- if your knees are bothering you too much, try doing some cardio boxing for upper body to give your knees a rest. And I agree with those who said to check your shoes. I had a cheaper pair of champions from Target when I started the 30 day shred had knee problems right off the back (I have bad knees anyway, I was a dancer for about 14 years), but when I bought myself a nicer pair of New Balance runners, after they were broken in it was relief. Good luck!

Bruce-- you are rockin' it! Good job on making it through with the weights the whole time!

I've already started on my water for the day. I didn't end up doing the 30 day shred, but I did do some free weights and ab exercises before bed. I'm skipping the gym today, so I'll put BFBM on my schedule for tonight. Its been crazy hot here and my air conditioner doesn't work at home :sad:
  • urastupidchimp
    urastupidchimp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Man I hope it's OK if I join now! I just found out there were challenge groups on here! Here's my info if it is not too late! Thanks!

CW: 182
    GW: 160

NSV: Just started 30-Day Shred last night so my goal is to not miss a day! It will be the longest period of exercise I have ever done!

I've been trying to drink more water anyway so this week's challenge is perfect for me!

~Miranda
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Another 55 minutes of running and walking today. 110 degrees had me switch to a power walk halfway through. still kept it at a fast pace for the last 25 minutes after running at 6.0mph go 30 minutes. Walked with a 160z waterbottle in each hand to add some weight to the workout. By the end of the hour, I was fighting the urge to drop my hands and let the bottle just swing. Made it through. Must keep up the challenge. Also 12 cups of water for the day.

Bruce

Can I just say YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I have a really good friend whose a runner and in Afghanistan right now. The heat is taking a toll on his runs and he hates it! I just wanted to take the time to say "thanks"
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    I am not amazing.

I have a runners body already. I am trying to offset 17 years of slow weight gain to get back to my wedding day weight. What is hurting me is that I have a low % of body fat at the moment, so trying to burn those remaining 11lbs is going to be pretty difficult for me. I may be asking for the groups support if I flatten progress in a few weeks. The first few pounds may only be water weight. I potentially could be cutting a little muscle weight to meet this goal so I may have to adjust the goal upwards as we go forward depending on how the weight loss affects my work.

The challenge members who don't have a regluarly active lifestyle and who are still getting out there and doing their exercises and challenge committments and meeting their caloric levels are the ones who are amazing me.

Thier progress during this challenge will be the noteworthy ones and they should be applauded for much louder.

Bruce
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I've done good with the water so far and added weights Monday, but not yesterday. Does anyone else feel like they get more thirsty when they drink more water? I kept waking up last night feeling so parched! Oh well, I know its good for me.

So I think my body is trying to tell me to stop running. My knees are really acting up, lots of popping and random pains while walking down stairs, etc which I know is a red flag. I also barely could force myself through 30 minutes last night and I usually go at least 40. I think I really only ran about 15 and walked the rest. So I will listen to what my body is saying, but here's my delima-I don't have a gym membership, I don't own a bike, and I can only get to the lap time at the pool on weekends so what am I going to do for cardio?! I'm moving to a new place in 3 wks that has a gym in the apartment complex with elipticals but in the meantime I just don't know what to do! Will switching to walking be enough exercise? It seems like lowering the intensity of my cardio would not be good, anyone know about this? Or is it enough just to keep with the old calories in/calories out?

Ellen - someone else recommended getting new running shoes. I highly recommend going to Boulder Running Company to get fitted by running on a treadmill and analyzing your gait. if you haven't done that before, it's a must do for every runner. I hear fleet feet does fittings too, but I have no personal experience there.

re: cardio options - if you have netflix, they have streaming workout options. My sister-in-law put me on to these a while back and it's awesome for getting some variety without having to buy DVDs. They selection used to be better, they got rid of all the JM ones and some others, but there's still lots of good stuff on there. Anything will Ellen Barrett (crunch and self) has good lower impact pilates inspired workouts which are much easier on the knees. Good luck!
  • Jenniblur22
    Options
    I am starting today with the 30 day shred and as my goal is to make sure to do that everyday and to incorporate other workouts at least 3-5 times a week. I am also following a diet that is trying to keep me at 1200 calories or less a day.

CW-183
    GW-150
  • Sandbug
    Sandbug Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am struggling today with the water intake. Ugh! But there's still time. I will push myself. I do find that I am wanting more to drink with this increased amount of water. I also seem to sweat more during my work out. Anyone else notice this?
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I ran out of time yesterday with my water intake, but I managed 8 cups! Today I've already had 4 cups and am bringing water bottles with me tonight at work. I'm also going to wear my ankle weights while I'm at work tonight in case I can't fit a workout into my schedule when I get off of work because I have a bio lab final tomorrow I need to study for.
  • mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Felt like I needed to put in an update, I have not ran at all this week, however did do the stationary bike last night as well as upper body weights. Easily getting the water intake. How is everyone doing out there!

Good Luck!
  • Denise11161978
    Options
    Is it too late for me to join this challenge?
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Just found this. My weight on Monday was 219. :)