RANT about "How did you lose your weight?"

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
BEGIN RANT

(This question may be directed more towards long time MFP users) those of you who have been asked, "How have you lost so much weight?" and then told that person, "I lost it with MFP."

Later, to be asked the same question again by the same person and you tell them about this wonderful website called MyFitnessPal and how great it is and what an awesome tool it was for your weight loss.

Then again later, have to hear the same person complain about how they're not losing anything w/the 'Fad Diet' they're doing and asked "How did you lose all of your weight?" AGAIN!

I've told over hundred people, who've asked, about MFP and only one has actually joined. But, they all still complain about wanting to lose weight.

Am I the only one who gets asked this over and over?

END RANT

Replies

• haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i havent been on here that long,or lost a ton of weight but whenever i heard someone complaining about weight i always tell them to get on here.i guess they want another answer :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I get asked this question a lot by people who are on this website. "How did you lose all that weight? What's your secret to success?".

I tell them I don't have a secret. I simply watch what I eat, drink tons of water and workout. It isn't rocket science. I've found people don't want to hear that's how I lost the weight. I truly believe they want me to fess up to a magic pill or drink or something. Nope. I did this without any "dieting" assistance. It's all about calories in/calories out, drinking water, working out and basically just taking care of yourself.

I don't think it's a "secret" at all - just common sense.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! What irritates me are the ones who ask " How did you lose your weight?" You tell them MFP and they look so disappointed that you didn't say it was a MAGIC BEAN!

C'mon MAN!!!!!!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had that happen. I think people just want to have something to complain about so others will pay attention to them and feel sorry for them. MFP isn't an 'easy fix' for people. They just want to be slim for summer or what not. If it's not about changing your life and your ways, don't even bother. Grrr now you got me ranting.
  • crazyears
    crazyears Posts: 50
    Options
    LOL, I think most people want an answer that does not involve eating less/better and working out.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    LOL, I think most people want an answer that does not involve eating less/better and working out.

And they want it to be something that'll take the weight off NOW vs in a month or 6 months or even a year. You didn't put the weight on overnight, be realistic when it comes to getting it back off too. Ya know?
  • JezebelGL
    JezebelGL Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Exactly! :laugh:
  • TheWidget
    TheWidget Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Funny then that people never ask "how did you get your musclar physique", they just know you worked out a lot, it's obvious. Though I wouldn't mind the odd magic bean to help me on my way...
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I like to tell people my original loss; I lost 70 lbs in 7 months only attending 2 spin classes a week with no dieting. I would think people would be running to such a class, but no, as far as I know no one I have told has done so. One of my friends has joined MFP and has lost over 20 lbs.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! What irritates me are the ones who ask " How did you lose your weight?" You tell them MFP and they look so disappointed that you didn't say it was a MAGIC BEAN!

C'mon MAN!!!!!!

Right on! It actually takes a lot of work and discipline. Next time make something up. When i get asked that i see that they want to lose weight but i can tell by their body language that they really don't want to put the work into it.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get asked this all the time and always recommend MFP, but the bottom line is that if the person isn't ready to make real changes to their lifestyle, they won't lose weight. Complaining about not losing weight is always easier than actually doing something about it.
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    Actually, I've had the opposite experience. Four of my friends have joined MFP since I told them about it!
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    EVERYDAY!!!! It IS infuriating. Especially after you refuse to eat the crap they are, they tell your family members you might have an eating disorder. Really?! Sigh. I am on FB and daily I hear about how "i wanna lose" "I'm really trying" "I hate what i have become" and after several posts and PM's about how beneficial this site is (I'm a beachbody coach and soon to be personal trainer) and I get NO response. We obviously don't know what we are talking about, since we have lost it, right? I have that magic wand and didn't have to work our butts off (literally) to do it!!! Rant over. lol Happy Friday everyone!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    When people ask me how ive lost weight I do not tell them with MFP.I tell them I lost weight by watching what I ate and exercising.MFP was just a tool I used because its a whole lot easier than pen and paper.I still would have lost the weight with it or with out it. I might mention MFP as a tool but thats it. Now if they keep asking because they expect me to give them an oh you take this pill type answer I tell them the real secret is every full moon they must dance naked outside shaking chicken bones chanting unga bunga over and over.They usally do not ask me again after that.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    and they look so disappointed that you didn't say it was a MAGIC BEAN!

Could you imagine if it was a magic bean!! That would be so epic!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've had the opposite experience. Four of my friends have joined MFP since I told them about it!

Glad to hear it!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your Rant! I get that all the time! I have quite a few people around me who are currently doing some sort of Fad diet and how they way they are loosing weight is so much better than what I'm doing. I've gotten tired of explaining what I'm doing to just be blown off....my strategy, just wait them out....eventually their diets will fail and I will still be going strong...they'll see the light eventually :bigsmile:
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've had four people join since I mentioned it to them... As far as I know one might still be doing it (maybe) one quit and restarted and one just can't be bothered.

Whatever. It works for me. I like numbers.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Whatever. It works for me. I like numbers.
    [/quote]

Ditto! I really feel that's why this is working so well for me...simple math, I love it!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    These are people simply looking for a quick fix solution. They don't want to hear about websites, drinking water, making healthy decisions or exercise they want to know how to drop as MUCH weight as humanly possible in the shortest amount of time. And quite honestly - until they realise that this mentality is WRONG and until they finally understand that it's their current lifestyle that needs sorting out then they won't lose anything or become healthy.