Coconut Oil and weightloss?

Options
So I've just been reading about the 'amazing properties of coconut oil and its uses as an incredible dietary aid'. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it rubbish? Positive results? Does it make your food taste like coconut? I was reading that some people put it on toast. This sounds gross to me... like eating toast with vegetable oil smeared on it.

Replies

• shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Well margarine is technically flavored vegetable oil, so it's not that weird :) I don't eat coconut oil myself, sorry.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coconut oil (and anything else made with coconut)! There are SO many benefits...if you get extra virgin, it's relatively unprocessed and your body is able to digest it quickly and it's cleansing as well...good article on mercola.com: http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/

Benefits like:

Promoting your heart health
    Promoting weight loss when and if you need it
    Supporting your immune system health
    Supporting a healthy metabolism
    Providing you with an immediate energy source
    Helping to keep your skin healthy and youthful looking
    Supporting the proper functioning of your thyroid gland

I personally wouldn't like it on toast- but it's good for cooking some things. I don't like the flavor it adds to some dishes (more savory ones), but it's good for french toast and stuff like that.
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    I heard about this almost a year ago now. I bought a huge jar from tropical traditions. As far as weight loss goes, I can't say. I tried to eat a tablespoon once and gagged for an hour after that and had to eat everything in sight to get the taste out of my mouth. I attempted to use it again in my brownies and the hint of coconut ruined it for me.

I do however use it on my face and it is the best moisturizer ever, but don't use too much! I also use it in my hair but I really don't know that I see a difference there.

I would also love to know if anyone has ever used this to aid in weight loss and if it worked. If it does, I will learn to deal with the taste!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil and really like it. Although I don't think I use enough to make a difference in weight loss... Anything you make with it will have a slight coconut taste, which is yummy. You can sub it for any type of oil in a recipe, I always use slightly less than what a recipe calls for anyway. Just know that it is the consistency of crisco when you use it - I think that turns people off sometimes.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I cooked some plantains in it and it was delicious!! I hadn't heard about the weight loss claim though.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Also, it's great for baking!
  • deanzie
    deanzie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Coconut Water Kefir (not the sweetened stuff you can buy in the store, but made with fresh coconuts and a mixture) is said to suppress the desire for sweets, which would help in weight loss. If you can't stand coconuts, and don't have fresh ones handy, it is hardly worth the trouble. But if you love them, it might also help explain the instantly wonderful feeling of well-being some have experienced.

I love Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil from the Philippines. It doesn't turn rancid quickly like other brands I have experienced, and doesn't impart a strong flavor at all. The smell during cooking is divine. I should use it more...
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    Coconut oil is a great source of healthy fats. I cook my eggs in it, and they turn out heavenly! It keep you full for a long time, too. It does have a very faint, slightly sweet taste, but unless you knew you cooked with it, I don't think you could tell. I have heard some people use it in their coffee. Or, just eating it plain. It isn't that bad plain, but not something I would do all the time.

I am not sure about the whole weightloss part of it, but it does keep you full for a long time. Generally if I eat a couple eggs cooked in coconut oil for breakfast then my total calorie intake for the day is lower because it kept me full until dinner. I think keeping full of good healthy fats and protein generally help you consume less. Just my 2 cents!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a great source of healthy fats. I cook my eggs in it, and they turn out heavenly! It keep you full for a long time, too. It does have a very faint, slightly sweet taste, but unless you knew you cooked with it, I don't think you could tell. I have heard some people use it in their coffee. Or, just eating it plain. It isn't that bad plain, but not something I would do all the time.

I am not sure about the whole weightloss part of it, but it does keep you full for a long time. Generally if I eat a couple eggs cooked in coconut oil for breakfast then my total calorie intake for the day is lower because it kept me full until dinner. I think keeping full of good healthy fats and protein generally help you consume less. Just my 2 cents!
    Three tablespoons full every morning in my coffee with heavy cream. I have been using it for about year off and on. When I am on plan I can really tell the difference, not only in my intestinal health, but my skin is more elastic and less wrinkly. I sleep better and I have less cravings throughout the day. If I start to feel hungry before my hubby is ready to eat, I make a cup of coffee with heavy cream and EVCO and it tides me over until supper time. I haven't used it as a skin moisturizer but I have heard good things.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    After 17 months of successful weight loss and strength training, my weight loss stalled out for 5 months despite what I then believed to be clean eating and balanced, yet rigorous training. Then on March 21, 2011, in response to a blog a microbiologist wrote about healing GERD, I changed several things, transforming my nutritional lifestyle by eating to heal my digestion: No gluten, no grain, no legumes, limited nuts/seeds, less than 20g Carbs daily. I also added anti-inflammatory supplements, spices, foods and oils to my daily intake. Among the smartest things I added were HCL, high quality chocolate and coconut oil.

Friend me and put coconut oil in the message to check out my diary. I use coconut oil in my coffee, tea, chocolate, curries, entrees, side dishes, on veggies, with fruit, to make homemade ice cream and to rev up my metabolism when my hypothyroidism threatens to stall my progress again. My digestion is much improved, from no weight lost for 5 months to shedding 21 lbs over the last 90 days. I have dropped 3 dress sizes and feel 20 years younger. I am nearing the hundred pounds shed mark and have 60-70 lbs more to go. I am aiming for less than 20% body fat and with coconut oil as a daily part of my nutritional plan, I know that I will finish the course I have chosen and have an effortless time of maintenance.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    uh---
    Coconut oil is actually not good for you at all. We just discussed this in my Nutrition class the other day...

In 1 tablespoon, it has 14g of fat (normal for oil right?).... except for the fact that 12 of that 14g of fat is SATURATED.
    That means its like 92% saturated fatty acids. the BAD kind of fat. and it is SUPER low in mono and polyunsaturated fats (the GOOD kind).

Extra virgin olive oil is only 14% saturated fat, and Canola oil is only 6% saturated fat!

There are MUCH better oils out there.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    uh---
    Coconut oil is actually not good for you at all. We actually just discussed this in my Nutrition class the other day...

In 1 tablespoon, it has 14g of fat (normal for oil right?).... except for the fact that 12 of that 14g of fat is SATURATED.
    That mean is like 92% saturated fatty acids. the BAD kind of fat. and it is SUPER low in mono and polyunsaturated fats (the GOOD kind).

Extra virgin olive oil is only 14% saturated fat, and Canola oil is only 6% saturated fat!

WELL . . . butter is saturated fat too. Saturated fat is fine in moderation. What is truly bad for you are artificial TRANS FATS--hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. Did you know that you can pinpoint when America got fat? It was when food manufacturers stopped using expensive coconut/palm oil and started using cheap partially hydrogenated oils.

Coconut oil is also a natural anti-bacterial agent that helps eliminate yeast, even chronic yeast embedded in the gut. If you have a cholesterol issue, then you must be very careful with your saturated fats, but otherwise, coconut oil in moderation is an excellent addition to your diet.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    uh---
    Coconut oil is actually not good for you at all. We just discussed this in my Nutrition class the other day...

That means its like 92% saturated fatty acids. the BAD kind of fat. and it is SUPER low in mono and polyunsaturated fats (the GOOD kind).

Not true at all. There are many, many studies showing significant lipid ratio improvement due to saturated fat. While unsaturated fat may lower overall lipid profiles, they have been shown to raise the LDL/triglyceride to HDL ratio.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    uh---

Not true at all. There are many, many studies showing significant lipid ratio improvement due to saturated fat. While unsaturated fat may lower overall lipid profiles, they have been shown to raise the LDL/triglyceride to HDL ratio.

Holy Sh!@%* we agree on something.

OP I love Coconut oil, back when I ate bread I put in on my toast every morning, I actually liked it better than butter, your taste may vary.

Can't say if the benefits are real because I use it while making other changes in my diet lifestyle. Now days I melt it with dark chocolate, almonds, a little cinnamon, and coconut flakes, but in freezer to solidify, break into pieces, makes for a great low carb, high healthy fat snack.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for years. I can't see it as being some magical weight loss oil but it is tasty and there are health benefits as pointed out. Personally, I love the taste of it. Have had it in black coffees for ages. I generally can't taste it when using for frying as I don't use a lot anyway.

lajauna: that is a heap in coffee! I would use maybe 1 tspn MAX and it was quite oily (for coffee :P)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    A great article on the true effects of saturated fat in the body.

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

In short, the lipid hypothesis is BS. Saturated fats are good for you, eat up.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for years. I can't see it as being some magical weight loss oil but it is tasty and there are health benefits as pointed out. Personally, I love the taste of it. Have had it in black coffees for ages. I generally can't taste it when using for frying as I don't use a lot anyway.

lajauna: that is a heap in coffee! I would use maybe 1 tspn MAX and it was quite oily (for coffee :P)

The EVCO melts on the top and I sip it off....yummmmmmmmm. It helps to keep me "regular". I love it.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    uh---

I'm glad you're into nutrition and taking courses but please be wary of what you learn. Coconut oil is very good for you. There are many links that have been posted in this thread already so I'll save the copy + paste.

I will mention that not all saturated fat is created equal. The saturated fat in coconut oil is known as MCT (medium chain trigylceride) and it has a very different property from other saturated fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-chain_triglycerides

That's a quick wiki link on the information. Because MCT's are a shorter chain, they skip absorption into the lymphatic system in many cases. This is also very good for energy production in the body. Anyway, you might want to bring this up with your nutrition teacher when you get the chance. He/she should be happy that you're researching on your own.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. Low in omega 6 and high in saturated fat (lauric acid), very stable and not prone to oxidation. Yes, I use it in cooking -- I either cook my eggs in it or I heat it, mix with garlic and pour it over my veggies after they've been steamed; it adds a nice, healthy caloric load the same way avocado does.