Coconut Oil and weightloss?

Options

Replies

• djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you that use it. After you open it do you store it in the fridge or cabinet? How long does it last and how do you know if it's gone bad?
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    No need to refridgerate coconut oil. It is solid at room temp-sort of like the consistency of margarine so it would be very similar to that if you spread it on toast. I agree with all PPs about the benefits of healthy saturdated fats. Go quickly to your local library and check out a copt of "Real Food" by Nina Plank-very eye opening.

As far as the taste-there are two different kinds of coconut oil, one has the coconut flavor (great for baking and other sweet things) and one doesn't have the flavor. Extra Virgin tastes like coconut and Expeller pressed does not. Hope that helps!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No need to refridgerate coconut oil. It is solid at room temp-sort of like the consistency of margarine so it would be very similar to that if you spread it on toast. I agree with all PPs about the benefits of healthy saturdated fats. Go quickly to your local library and check out a copt of "Real Food" by Nina Plank-very eye opening.

As far as the taste-there are two different kinds of coconut oil, one has the coconut flavor (great for baking and other sweet things) and one doesn't have the flavor. Extra Virgin tastes like coconut and Expeller pressed does not. Hope that helps!

Mine is Expeller pressed, it's white liquid not solid. Should it be solid?
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    As far as coconut oil aiding in weightloss, I have no idea, but...

Coconut oil is so goood!!! I use it in my hair, but as far as cooking goes, I haven't tried it with too much but everything I've tried so far tastes delicious!!

I split a banana long ways down the middle and coated a pan w/coconut oil and cooked it with cinnamon and honey (which both are good for you in moderation - research it). Add a little brown sugar if you're feeling like an extra treat!

I also coat peas in it. Just cook up some frozen peas and stir in coconut oil after they're done. It adds a nice flavor.

I need to use it more...
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options

which one is best used for cooking? i cant believe i've never heard of this, but i am going to get some now. and especially after hearing how good it is for your skin! thanks guys! :smile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I think if you were to cut me open I'd probably bleed coconut oil at this point! I love the stuff! We use the extra virgin to cook and bake with. I also like it in my coffee but I don't like the "oil slick" when it's all melty on top so I put my coffee, half and half and coconut oil in the blender for a couple of minutes. This makes a lovely creamy foam on top that feels like some sort of decadent coffee drink and no oil slick!

If you need a quick, low carb chocolate fix just mix some coconut oil into a really good dark chocolate and freeze for a few minutes. I eat it with a spoon or you can pour it over cold fruit and it hardens like magic shell. We make our own almond butter and chocolate almond butter and use a touch of coconut oil in that for smoothness. Tastes so good!

We use the lightly refined stuff for skin and hair. I have rosacea and ridiculously sensitive skin but slathering coconut oil all over keeps my skin soft and clear. I use an epilator for hair removal and the coconut oil is very soothing afterward.

Between eating it and slathering it all over myself I have smooth, clear, soft skin and hair and my abdominal fat is shrinking whereas before I add the CO to my diet the abdominal fat didn't seem to want to budge.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just made my latest batch of low carb coconut oil 'fudge'.

EFA Gold Raw Organic Coconut oil, 2 Tbsp
    Trader Josef's Unsweetend Baking Chocolate, 4 discs
    Trader Joe's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 1 Tbsp
    Almond butter, Raw, 2 Tbsp
    Thai Kitchen (full fat) Coconut milk, canned, 1/8 can
    Coconut milk, beverage, 4 oz
    Unsweetened organic shredded coconut, 2 Tbsp
    Cocoa nibs, 1 tsp
    Raw honey, optional, 1/2 tsp.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler. Stir in all other ingredients except coconut milk beverage, save it for last. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut milk beverage. This will start it hardening. Then place in freezer for 10 minutes. Remove and cut with a warm knife into 8 portions. Two portions or one fourth of recipe equals a serving. Great way to shrink my waistline!
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    For things like baking or things that are naturally sweeter/more decadent I would use the extra-v irgin. Basically the higher temps at which it is processed, the more coconut flavor you will get.

So cold-expressed/expeller pressed should have less of the coconut flavor and would work better for more savory items (like if you were frying potatoes, chicken or something).

It can be used in any recipe in place of oil/butter (though butter is not a bad fat as once thought so I usually just replace oils with it).

I would think if it is liquidy that's okay. Depending on the temperature of my house on any given day mine will melt and solidify. It's melting point is 76 degrees so if you have a warm home or it's in a warm place it will stay in its liquid form. It also turns liquid when you touch it because of your body heat-which is part of the reason it is an excellent moisturizer.

Coconut oil is VERY good for you as it doesn't go rancid and oxidize like vegetable/corn/canola oil (carcinogens). BUT, you want to buy high quality coconut oil which you won't find on the shelves of wal-mart. The way that stuff is made is through chemical processes and can sometimes have the nasty trans/hydrogenated fats.

It is pricier to buy the good stuff but you can find good deals on Amazon and get even more of a discount if you sign up for their subscribe and save program (I always cancel my subscription after I get my item and then do it again the next time it is on sale). Plus shipping is free. I just got 2 58 ounce jars of it for less than $40, when it is regularly priced at over $70. You can also buy it in bulk and save a bit if you can afford the up front costs (1 lb and 5 lb containers).

Google it-the health benefits are amazing. And seriously read that book "Real Food"-I promise you, you won't look at food and fat in the same way again.

Does eating it make you lose weight? I don't know but I do know when I cook with it I am quickly full and that full feeling lasts a while. One of my favorite things to make with it is pancakes. Yum!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    never used it on food only on my body :D
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    just had the refined coconut oil on my baked potato....melts like butter loving it!
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Try melting it gently, mixing in cinnamon, a hint of nutmeg, a splash of real vanilla extract and serving it over a baked sweet potato.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try melting it gently, mixing in cinnamon, a hint of nutmeg, a splash of real vanilla extract and serving it over a baked sweet potato.
    I'll have to try that sounds really good :-)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    do you use coconut oil as well as full fat coconut milk in your coffee, does that make it a little hard to get down? I've been using full- fat coconut milk in coffee and though I have adjusted to it..it is pretty oily
    After 17 months of successful weight loss and strength training, my weight loss stalled out for 5 months despite what I then believed to be clean eating and balanced, yet rigorous training. Then on March 21, 2011, in response to a blog a microbiologist wrote about healing GERD, I changed several things, transforming my nutritional lifestyle by eating to heal my digestion: No gluten, no grain, no legumes, limited nuts/seeds, less than 20g Carbs daily. I also added anti-inflammatory supplements, spices, foods and oils to my daily intake. Among the smartest things I added were HCL, high quality chocolate and coconut oil.

Friend me and put coconut oil in the message to check out my diary. I use coconut oil in my coffee, tea, chocolate, curries, entrees, side dishes, on veggies, with fruit, to make homemade ice cream and to rev up my metabolism when my hypothyroidism threatens to stall my progress again. My digestion is much improved, from no weight lost for 5 months to shedding 21 lbs over the last 90 days. I have dropped 3 dress sizes and feel 20 years younger. I am nearing the hundred pounds shed mark and have 60-70 lbs more to go. I am aiming for less than 20% body fat and with coconut oil as a daily part of my nutritional plan, I know that I will finish the course I have chosen and have an effortless time of maintenance.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't like the oil slick in my coffee either. I've found if I toss the whole thing in the blender for a minute it makes a creamy foam on top and tastes wonderful! Kind of like an espresso with a hint of coconut! And no oil slick.
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    OP, just my two cents, having been raised in the Caribbean where we not only made our own coconut oil but used it for EVERYTHING.. and I do mean everything, used it moderation, it is great for you. I grew up on coconut oil being used for cooking, in my hair, on my skin, etc and still do to this day, part genetics, part taking care of myself, but I am in my late 30's and my 16 year old hates that I get mistaken for her sister.. (personally I love it)!!., I have ALWAYS had very low cholesterol, and it has been checked almost every year from my years in the military so I can attest from personal experience that used in moderation and growing up on the stuff, it is NOT bad for you, for cooking, I use it on my plantains, i use it when making curried dishes, just have to be careful not to burn it when heating it up :).
  • mmlovers90
    mmlovers90 Posts: 21
    Options
    I just read a study (albeit small) of 40 women over 12 weeks I believe. 20 were given 2 tbls vegetable oil and 20 2 tbks coconut oil to take each day. They were all told to walk for 50 minutes a day and were put on a reduced calorie diet. The group using coconut oil lost 5" off their waist (0 for the other group), lowered their triglycerides, and improved their Hyde/Elda ratios. The other groups cholesterol did not change. The coconut group lost more scale weight as well. I will have to go find the link.

Damn autocorrect... hdl / ldl

Thanks for the information and links! I bookmared them. I am in the process of adapting a healthier lifestyle and in doing research, had read a lot about the benefits of coconut oil. It is nice to finally find an actual study that backs up some of what I had been reading! :) I can't wait for my EVCO to arrive in the mail, hopefully today! And hopefully it is not too melted from this terrible heatwave! :wink:
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    FYI, a very good summary of coconut oil benefits (and de-bunking the myths) is here:
    http://cutthefatpodcast.com/1013/cut-the-fat-blog/eating-for-fat-loss/coconut-oil-diet-is-it-a-safe-effective-way-to-lose-weight

I recommend the entire podcast series/website too!