How and why carbs and a high carb intake will keep you fat!!

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I agree, but it is at the very least a good place to start.
    No one denies that. I would imagine there's a higher probability that a doctor is more aware of research than your average person not working in the medical field.

Regarding this discussion, however, I would take the opinion of someone with no credentials who is up to date on the research over a doctor who is not up to date on the research. In a heartbeat.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, one of the more obvious problems with a vegetarian diet is the development of iron deficiency, which often affects vegetarians, in particular vegans. A high intake of grains and beans contribute to this condition to a considerable degree488,590,669. Soya beans also contain other substances that impede iron absorption besides phytates1099.

Enzymatic digestion of the same proteins in the gut should also be supported through a low intake of protease inhibitors from cereals and beans, including soya products. Finally, the intake of plant lectins from grains and beans should be minimised in an attempt to limit the permeability of the intestines and the blood–brain barrier, and prevent potentially damaging proteins and peptides (food-derived or coming from other sources) from entering the body.

Rats who are fed soya beans after weaning have limited growth, partly due to the effect of lectins.

These apprehensions certainly apply to soya beans. Two experts on health effects of soya beans at the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Doergeand Sheehan, the former chief of the Oestrogen Base Program, wrote in 1999 a public letter in protest of the FDA’s approval of health claims for soya products (http://www.dcnutrition.com/news/Detail.CFM?RecordNumber=546). The researchers were concerned about the results of animal experiments where flavonoids in soya (genistein and daidzein) were found to have toxic effects on oestrogen-sensitive tissues and on the pancreas431. Particular caution is needed for children and adolescents children, but this has not prevented the large-scale development and marketing of soya-based infant formulas. Consumption of soya products during pregnancy has been suggested to increase the risk of abnormal development in the nerve system and reproductive organs of the offspring. It has been shown that realistic doses of genistein cause atrophy of the thymus in mice1983. Ishizuki et al. reported goitre and elevated individual thyroid-stimulating hormone levels, although still within the normal range, in 37 healthy iodine-sufficient adults without known thyroid disease, who were fed 30 g of pickled soya beans per day for as little as 1 month431. One study found genistein to disrupt female reproductive function in mice, but the effect in humans has not been examined27.

On the other hand, it has also been suggested that flavonoids in soya beans have beneficial effects, including inhibiting the growth of cancer, but none of these effects have been proven convincingly629. With regard to breast cancer prevention, soya can no longer be recommended, as discussed in Section 4.11.

In old Chinese cuisine, soya products were eaten with caution, and the intake of genistein, e.g., is thought to have been well below the intake of ‘health conscious’ Westerners369.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Thank you for continually adding nothing thought-provoking to the conversation by posting scientifically unfounded paleo propaganda.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have battled my way to the end of this interminable thread (pedant alert!) to make a comment on the actual video posted.

I thought it was an excellent video, explaining something complicated in layman's terms. It was so well-made and convincing I had to remind myself that that didn't make it true.

The Okinawan stuff was interesting. My husband is Japanese and insists on lots of (preferably sweet) carbs in the morning, and he's a typical, low bf, Japanese guy. His other love is protein, so maybe the balance of them is key... Or maybe not everyone's the same...

Let the bickering resume :yawn:
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I have battled my way to the end of this interminable thread (pedant alert!) to make a comment on the actual video posted.

I thought it was an excellent video, explaining something complicated in layman's terms. It was so well-made and convincing I had to remind myself that that didn't make it true.
    That's wise to remind yourself of that, considering the video is wrong.
  • awddude
    awddude Posts: 1
    Options
    Right, an appeal to authority is often inescapable as providing complete evidence in common discourse is rarely possible. However, an appeal to authority is a weak form of argument as it's an argument of Irrelevant Conclusion - in that if you want to prove a point it is best if you address the claim directly without needing to appeal to an authority.

See more @ http://www.appealtoauthority.info
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Thank you for continually adding nothing thought-provoking to the conversation by posting scientifically unfounded paleo propaganda.

Now that is funny, coming from an admitted liar “you called my bluff” LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL