women, do you dress for men or for women?

Options
suzycreamcheese
suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
apart from the obvious answer (myself/yourself) who do you think you dress to impress mostly?

Guys, or other women?

I think in reality, i prefer the approval of other women in the way i dress, if anyone.
I dont generally think men normally notice clothes, apart from to think either sexy or not sexy, but nothing really inbetween (apart from very occasional very style conscious men that are few and far between)

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i dont dress to empress anyone... lol
    i have 1 pair of jeans... 1 pair of shoes.. 2 jumpers... and about 3 vest t-shirts..
    So im not really equipped for it..
    But on posh occasions when i have to go out and buy a dress. then i try to impress everyone.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    To be honest it use to be for men & women back before I gain all my weight. I was in college and it was just a fashion show on campus.

Now I dress for 1 man's approval and that's my hubby. Every time I shop I try to imagine how he would like what I'm wearing. The smile it would bring to his face. The approval he would get from other men because he has me on his arm. I want to make sure I come correct for him.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I dress for geeks. Pretty much all my shirts are extremely geeky in nature.
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    I never dress for men.... I love fashion and love clothes so I buy and wear what I like. A lot of the time my boyfriend doesnt like what I wear as it may be too fashion forward but no way would I dress for men.... they dont dress for us do they :) And if they did they wouldnt be wearing ill fitted jeans and shabby trainers :)
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I guess even though I'm super casual during the day, and still try to look my best even when I do not leave the house, I dress to impress myself.

I hate looking in the mirror and seeing something frumpy back.

If I do go out, it's just a matter of feeling proud of how I look-regardless of whether it's men or women who will see me. But overall, I guess you are right, women are much better judges of style and are better with compliments when they are warranted. I know men just see women as attractive or not, and are happy when we wear jeans and t-shirts. My husband is terrible like that--he doesn't see much of a difference sometimes when I just wake up vs. after I'm all ready and dressed.

Desirai--your picture/progress is amazing!! congrats!!
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I dress for everyone! I love sexy feminine clothes. People compliment me all the time on what I'm wearing so I must be doing something right! Just a shame my wardrobe isn't very varied atm as I'm dropping sizes all the time!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I def. dress for my preference with is simple but sexy...skirts, dresses, leggings, like to show lots of cleavage, everything must be tight and showcasing the curves so...men I suppose, not into all the super high fashiony and imo silly looking crap most women seem to like.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't dress for anyone!
    I don't care what other people think about what I'm wearing!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Unless a woman is wearing something overtly sexy I don't think men notice or care too much honestly. When I was out shopping the other day I was watching these two couples in the store next to me. In one of these pairs the guy looked like he was trying to be helpful when it was obvious he was clueless. In the other the guy just looked bored... in fact his wife turned around and showed him something and said excitedly, "Isn't this so cute!!!" to which he replied, "It's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my whole life" quite sarcastically.
    ...I wouldn't even bother bringing my husband shopping.... I'm certain he'd prefer a root canal.

For me personally... I'd want the women to think, "Omgosh what a cute outfit.... I love the colors and her accessories... and the shoes are to die for...." .... and I'd want the men to think... "She's hot." .... LOL
  • Foofyknickers
    Foofyknickers Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    On a day to day basis, I wear what's practical. I work with children in a play setting, so I turn up in jeans and trainers and a hoody mostly. There would be no point in me turning up in a dress with heels as I wouldn't be able to do my job properly.
    However, if I am going out I will wear something that makes me feel good about myself, and that makes my man proud to be with me. It's nice when my friends compliment what I'm wearing on a night out, but I don't go in for that competetive thing that alot of girls/women do. Sad though it is, I like to be comfortable and warm! :ohwell: :wink:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I dress for myself and don't think at all about what others might think of it.

However, if a woman thought what I was wearing looked nice I think I'd like that more than if a man had said it, IMO men don't really notice much or know much about clothes in general so I'd rather take the woman's opinion.
    When my bf tells me he likes what i'm wearing, I feel happy that he likes it and love the compliment, but it won't make me think it's a great looking outfit if I'm undecided, I'd just think it's a great outfit - in his opinion! haha
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I guess even though I'm super casual during the day, and still try to look my best even when I do not leave the house, I dress to impress myself.

I hate looking in the mirror and seeing something frumpy back.

If I do go out, it's just a matter of feeling proud of how I look-regardless of whether it's men or women who will see me. But overall, I guess you are right, women are much better judges of style and are better with compliments when they are warranted. I know men just see women as attractive or not, and are happy when we wear jeans and t-shirts. My husband is terrible like that--he doesn't see much of a difference sometimes when I just wake up vs. after I'm all ready and dressed.

Desirai--your picture/progress is amazing!! congrats!!

Thank you Robin.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I dress for myself, first and foremost. If I don't feel good in what I'm wearing, then there's no point. But beyond that, I dress with men in mind (at least more so than women). I don't dress slutty or trampy at all, I just try to look feminine with a little bit of sex appeal. Yes, I like when women tell me they love my shoes or ask where I got my top, but I don't want to spend all my weekends hanging out with chicks, so overall, I'm not all that concerned with what they think about how I look.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    I dress for comfort and what I expect to be doing. I used to dress to impress men mostly but since meeting my boyfriend, I dress just for him now.
    I pick my lingerie with ME in mind, what makes me feel sexy, and when I feel sexy and good, my day seems to go better.
  • Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Options
    I dress for ME :bigsmile:

If I think I look nice, I am much happier and more confident. But I don't mind what anyone else thinks!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I never dress for men.... I love fashion and love clothes so I buy and wear what I like. A lot of the time my boyfriend doesnt like what I wear as it may be too fashion forward but no way would I dress for men.... they dont dress for us do they :) And if they did they wouldnt be wearing ill fitted jeans and shabby trainers :)

AMEN! :)
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    for women! yes, i want you to notice these Christian Lou Boutin knock offs ;)
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

AMEN! :)

lmao! sooo true! they sure as hheck don't dress for us, un less we dress them!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Unless a woman is wearing something overtly sexy I don't think men notice or care too much honestly. When I was out shopping the other day I was watching these two couples in the store next to me. In one of these pairs the guy looked like he was trying to be helpful when it was obvious he was clueless. In the other the guy just looked bored... in fact his wife turned around and showed him something and said excitedly, "Isn't this so cute!!!" to which he replied, "It's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my whole life" quite sarcastically.
    ...I wouldn't even bother bringing my husband shopping.... I'm certain he'd prefer a root canal.

For me personally... I'd want the women to think, "Omgosh what a cute outfit.... I love the colors and her accessories... and the shoes are to die for...." .... and I'd want the men to think... "She's hot." .... LOL

The only honest answer here. I've heard enough talk from women and seen enough looks to know how judgmental they are about fashion. It's not a bad thing or a criticism, but I don't buy women "dressing for themselves".
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I dress for me. My objective is to feel good about myself. I think that is what most people find attractive anyway.

Michelle