women, do you dress for men or for women?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I dress for geeks and women. Most of the time, I'm still a tomboy when it comes to fashion - give me a print t-shirt and a pair of faded jeans/shorts with some flip-flops/sneakers and I'm a happy girl. But for client visit days at work and meeting up with girlfriends, I'll dress a bit better. Still might have jeans on but they'll be my newest best fitting pair and I'll wear my cuter tops and maybe a more fashionable shoe.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    To be honest it use to be for men & women back before I gain all my weight. I was in college and it was just a fashion show on campus.

Now I dress for 1 man's approval and that's my hubby. Every time I shop I try to imagine how he would like what I'm wearing. The smile it would bring to his face. The approval he would get from other men because he has me on his arm. I want to make sure I come correct for him.

^^ This.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Option C: I dress for the weather and the activities I expect I'll be partaking in throughout the day. Humidity, expected sun exposure, and comfort (especially shoes) can make or break a day for me.

I'm not sure if I dress more for one gender or another. I'll plan outfits with the ladies when I go out, but I'm off the market so I'm not trying to impress any guys. Maybe this is another option: I dress for myself. If I dressed for my guy I'd look like one of the Addicted to Love video gals....with sneakers on. He can't stand high heels!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I dress in alternative styles like decora, because I like them, so mostly I dress for myself. It's mostly girls that appreciate cuteness of my clothing, or whatever.
  • jackiemarie
    jackiemarie Posts: 111
    Options
    Unless a woman is wearing something overtly sexy I don't think men notice or care too much honestly. When I was out shopping the other day I was watching these two couples in the store next to me. In one of these pairs the guy looked like he was trying to be helpful when it was obvious he was clueless. In the other the guy just looked bored... in fact his wife turned around and showed him something and said excitedly, "Isn't this so cute!!!" to which he replied, "It's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my whole life" quite sarcastically.
    ...I wouldn't even bother bringing my husband shopping.... I'm certain he'd prefer a root canal.

For me personally... I'd want the women to think, "Omgosh what a cute outfit.... I love the colors and her accessories... and the shoes are to die for...." .... and I'd want the men to think... "She's hot." .... LOL

The only honest answer here. I've heard enough talk from women and seen enough looks to know how judgmental they are about fashion. It's not a bad thing or a criticism, but I don't buy women "dressing for themselves".

Totally agree!!! Men are silly they don't even know what's hott!!! It's easy to get a man to notice you but having another woman be like "damn she's gorgeous!!!" Now that's a compliment!!!!! So therefore I dress for women lol!!!!
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I Undress for man and dress for Btch*s..............LOL
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    While it's nice to get compliments from other people, I mostly dress for comfort. I'm a homeschooling, stay at home mom who spends pretty much every day cleaning, cooking, and working outside sweating like a pig. Dressing for looks would be pointless.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As far as "women don't dress for themselves."

I'm home alone and sick as a dog. I still put on a cute outfit (tshirt and shorts) and did my makeup because it makes me feel better than having to look a droopy eyed, red nose schlumpf in an oversized tshirt every time I go into the bathroom. When I look better, I feel better, even if I'm the only one who sees me.
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Exactly what you said :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Myself, other men and my husband.

I love being checked out and therefore will wear clothes that make me feel sexy and perpetuate the looks. It makes me feel good when a guy looks at me and equally good when my husband says "You should have seen the look that woman just gave you!"
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I think I used to dress for men. But that was long ago. Since my 30's, I have dressed just for me. I do not shop for clothes either, not anymore. Well, undies and socks, that sort of thing, I still do. I sew my clothes, I like to be unique. Nobody has the same clothes that I do. Or colors! lol
  • starcharm3
    Options
    i dress for myself and sometimes for my bf.
    if i'm working around kids, then i dress properly for them.

not really seeking approval from others, if they don't like me, then they don't like me. i do hate how its all a competition with women though, many can be hurtful about how others look. its just messed up.
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I dress for myself...if I feel good in what I am wearing and with my accessories (I love to accessorize with jewelry, belts, scarves, etc.) it shows in my demeanor. I don't work anymore due to chronic illnessess but, unless I am deathly sick, I always put on my make-up and even though I usually wear jeans I can glam them up or down with jewelry/accessories. I've been told I have a "unique style" althopugh I'm not sure there is a name for it LOL :wink: !!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I dress for everyone! I love sexy feminine clothes. People compliment me all the time on what I'm wearing so I must be doing something right! Just a shame my wardrobe isn't very varied atm as I'm dropping sizes all the time!

I feel you girlfriend. One suggestion...secondhand stores...some of them have great stuff, and the smaller size you are, I'm finding, the better the stuff--Yay!!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Only because the law requires it *sigh*
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Definitely men. If I dressed for women, it'd be more conservative.
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    Women.
    But... I'm bisexual. So I don't know if that changes things?
    Over all though, I just find that women appreciate style, clothing, hair, etc., more than men. Guys will pick up on the over all, and I DO appreciate their comments/approval more than womens, but it's womens scorn that hits me deeper than a mans.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I dress to suit myself, I own 3 pairs of jeans & an untold number of tour t/shirts & thats how I dress 99% of the time. On the very rare occasion I have to 'dress up' then again I dress to suit me, and if my Hubby think I look good then thats a bonus. I don't own any heels and have exactly one dress in my wardrobe that gets worn at every 'posh' occasion. My friends know I'm not a clothes horse & accept me as I am. :smile:

I've never been into fashion, I just dont get it. Clothes are to keep me warm/cool depending on the season & to keep me from being arrested.:laugh: Thankfully my Hubby has the same attitude to clothes, something you have to buy when something wears out.

I spend all the money I could have spent on clothes on books & on my hobbies.
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    Why would you dress for anyone but yourself? :noway:
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    I dress for me