Burning off the junk food calories won't undo it

Options
I really had a lightbulb moment the other night.

Just because we exercise enough to burn off any excess calories, isn't going to undo:

-the fact that a lot of foods have too much fat, cholesterol, or toxins in them that our body has to detox.
-the lowered amount of actual nutrition we get when the foods took the place of high-nutrient foods
-the loss of extra time due to needing a longer workout than our bodies need to get strong

Add to this: Just because we can stay within our calories eating whatever we want and losing weight, doesn't mean we'll be in the kind of health we all really want. Because the truth is, if we are to feel the way we really want to feel, we got to be eating mostly quality foods, not processed stuff. And most definitely a LOT of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds.

Replies

• ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree!
    That old saying.........."you are what you eat" is SO VERY TRUE!!!!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Good thing I eat people,that way no one can ever doubt my humanity.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    agreed! that's why i changed my worst/junk food to peanut butter! haha... i know it's actually good for you, but compared to everything else i eat, i see it as pretty bad.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    SO true! It's easy to stay at 1200 eating junk, albeit carefully. It doesn't mean you're any healthier though.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Make sure the people you eat are healthy though. :-P
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    so true! great post, I have just realized this myself lately. it makes a big difference when your mindset is in the right place.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    agreed! that's why i changed my worst/junk food to peanut butter! haha... i know it's actually good for you, but compared to everything else i eat, i see it as pretty bad.

No wonder you lost that much weight!

I'm not quite there yet, but working on it. Aiming to reach a 90%plant based diet.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I agree!

^^ LOL. Damn good thing! :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I agree!

lol :laugh:
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options

Add to this: Just because we can stay within our calories eating whatever we want and losing weight, doesn't mean we'll be in the kind of health we all really want. Because the truth is, if we are to feel the way we really want to feel, we got to be eating mostly quality foods, not processed stuff. And most definitely a LOT of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds.

Thank you! When I decided to make a lifestyle change, that didn't just mean keep eating the highly processed crap I was eating before and just shrink the portion size. It meant adding more fruits, veggies, nuts to my diet and trying my best to eat cleaner. Read the ingriedient lables and try to eat foods as unproccessed as possible.

I'm still learning how to eat better and forcing myself to try new things that I swear I hate (I'm looking at you tomatoes), but I made the committment to change my lifestyle and my overall health, not just loose weight. Thank you for pointing out that just because you can lose weight by cutting portion sizes of unhealthy foods doesn't mean you're actually becoming healthy.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Make sure the people you eat are healthy though. :-P

Ive been trying to hunt down Jillian Michales but so far shes to fast for me
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options

I'm still learning how to eat better and forcing myself to try new things that I swear I hate (I'm looking at you tomatoes), but I made the committment to change my lifestyle and my overall health, not just loose weight. Thank you for pointing out that just because you can lose weight by cutting portion sizes of unhealthy foods doesn't mean you're actually becoming healthy.

Not only that, but we can DOUBLE our portion sizes of veggies and fruits. :) I'm making my lifestyle changes according to what I've read in Eat to Live, which makes a lot of sense.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I really had a lightbulb moment the other night.

Just because we exercise enough to burn off any excess calories, isn't going to undo:

-the fact that a lot of foods have too much fat, cholesterol, or toxins in them that our body has to detox.
    -the lowered amount of actual nutrition we get when the foods took the place of high-nutrient foods
    -the loss of extra time due to needing a longer workout than our bodies need to get strong

THAT IS SOO TRUE. HERE THERE IS A JUNK FOOD MADE WITH MULTIGRAINS THAT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT WITHOUT GUILT AND THEY EVEN USES MODELS AS ENDORSERS. BUT THE TRUTH IS, THE FOODS ARE LOADED WITH LOTS OF BAD FAT AND HIDDEN CALORIES FROM ITS SEASONING AND FROM THE WAY IT IS PREPARED. I WORK IN MARKETING IN A RESTAURANT WHICH IS WHY I CAN'T BE EASILY FOOLED BY THIS FALSE INFORMATION.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree with you! When I eat junk food, I physically feel much worse than if I had eaten healthy foods. I can truly see a difference. My body doesn't have as much energy and my muscles feel fatigued faster. Quality fuel (good nutrition) = quality workouts and weigh in's. Poor fuel (junk food) = difficult workouts, lack of motivation, and feeling crummy! At least, that's been my experience! It's amazing the difference I feel now that I've been exercising and being careful of my nutrition intake vs. before I began exercising and watching the foods I ate. It's no wonder that months ago when I consistently ate junk food and didn't exercise I gained weight and felt terrible all the time! Thanks for sharing your post :D
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That's not to say you can NEVER have junk, but its all about MODERATION. I work at mcdonalds and always eat oatmeal with no brown sugar and a parfait, but sometimes it gets boring so if I've had a good week, I'll allow myself a burrito or cheeseburger or something not as nutritional and then drink extra water to flush the sodium. I also treat myself with 1 serving of sun chips if I've had no other junk.

I've dieted many times, living off of side salads and grilled chicken breast and it gets so BORING after awhile that I end up binging after losing 5 lbs. I've lost 16.2 so far now and besides a few nights I craved to binge, I limited myself to something not as bad and I made sure I had portion control. I feel much better not depriving myself, but limiting what I eat.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i am also addicted to quaker true delight fiber crisps.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This might tick some one off...but in my opinion, if you eat crap you feel like crap. Just because you go and do another 30 minutes of Cardio doesn't make it ok. I don't eat perfect by any means, I learn day to day. I have the occassional splurge but in moderation.

The majority of my calories come from protien, usually whey or soy supplements.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • BeachGirl6871
    BeachGirl6871 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wow that is a ah-ha moment! well said!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    This might tick some one off...but in my opinion, if you eat crap you feel like crap. Just because you go and do another 30 minutes of Cardio doesn't make it ok. I don't eat perfect by any means, I learn day to day. I have the occassional splurge but in moderation.

The majority of my calories come from protien, usually whey or soy supplements.

Vegetables are chock-ful of protein, FYI. Just learned that, for example, 100 calories of broccoli has double the protein that 100 calories of steak does.