Burning off the junk food calories won't undo it

Options

Replies

• Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    I laugh at the idea of everything in moderation because it is stupid. Should I start smoking again, moderately? Should I drink a moderate amount of draino once in a while?

As far as the article goes, OCD and eating disorders are real and can be devastating but that is vastly different than someone deciding to stop eating candy or white bread because it is not healthy.

Better to smoke 1 cigarette a day than a pack a day, wouldn't you say? Of course not smoking is not healthy but if someone is able to reduce their consumption considerably, whether it be smoking or food or whatever, at least it's a step in the right direction. Some people can't quit cold turkey so it's better to make progress towards the ultimate goal of eating healthy. I don't think there's anything wrong with indulging in foods you enjoy in moderation.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I don't think there is anything wrong with eating the foods you enjoy in moderation. Just as I don't think there is anything wrong with not eating foods you enjoy in moderation.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    So true.I have been eating probably 80% clean the last
    couple weeks and the difference is amazing.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    On that note, there are people who laugh at the idea of moderation and who won't touch food they consider less than optimal. I just recently read that it is now considered an eating disorder.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/orthorexia-obsession-healthy-foods-leads-eating-disorder/story?id=10173614

I laugh at the idea of everything in moderation because it is stupid. Should I start smoking again, moderately? Should I drink a moderate amount of draino once in a while?

As far as the article goes, OCD and eating disorders are real and can be devastating but that is vastly different than someone deciding to stop eating candy or white bread because it is not healthy.

Yes, but that is totally not what the article is saying. I'm saying, you can go too far with all of the advice and refuse to eat things that are "not healthy." I see many a high-horsed person on here talk about you can't ever eat that stuff.

One cigarette will not kill anyone or cause anyone cancer. Moderate smoking might. Honestly, your references don't apply and are pretty silly. If you're going to compare drinking draino to eating white bread, there is really no where positive this discussion can go.

The article was talking about people who don't eat things that are essential for life because they think they are unhealthy. This is vastly different than someone deciding to stop eating candy because it it totally unnecessary to staying alive and perhaps may have a negative effect on their health.

By the way, I was only talking about the phrase, "everything in moderation", not the article itself.

No one is saying that everyone has to eat candy(or insert random not healthy food here), because everything in moderation(can we really do EVERYTHING in moderation), so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. They are saying, if you want a piece of candy every now and again, it's okay. They are saying that for health, it's not necessary to deprive yourself. If you don't want it to begin with, then don't eat it.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Great post! Sometimes I'm guilty of doing the "I have 1000 calories left so I'm going to eat cake, brownies and candy." NOT OK!!!!! It's just hard to eat back calories with low calorie foods so I feel like eating "big calories" is easier... definitely not beneficial though. going to work on this :smile:

Most of the gym rats will recommend some sort of carb & protein bar.... When I'm seriously under cals and using the gym I use a 400 Cal bar (20g protein)... This is a better option than being under cals!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I always come back to my Motto - any any of you can flame be if I post anything contradictory: Happy And Healthy.

I don't eat a lot of junk food at meal times - I never have. I like fresh food, I love fruit and veg and I enjoy cooking from scratch. I also like eating at fancy restaurants, Indian take away's, quality whisky, real ale and ice cream at the cinema.

Is it fair to 'balance' my in indiscretions with exercise? I think so - as long as the indiscretions are occasional rather than frequent and routine.

The biggest change for me has been portion size, getting a lot more exercise (nearly nothing to four + sessions a week), and cutting down the number / changing the types of snacks I eat.

I will always ask the question 'does this change make me unhappy' - generally the answer is no. I feel better if I share the Indian take away and eat half the amount! I feel better if I eat one scoop of ice-cream at the cinema instead of three. I love my running - especially at the club or when the weather is nice: puts me in a great mood.

Net-Net: Don't beat yourself up too badly over the odd junk food - just make it an occasional treat rather than a habit. Odds are if your body is used to healthy food you wont fancy it anyway.

This is exactly what I live by. If I want to have ice cream or something, I will usually do an extra workout to stay under my calories. I know it isn't doing anything for my body, but it does a lot for my mind and keeps me from binging. If you can go without having junk ever, good for you, but I know that if I try, I will break and it will set me back. In the long run, having the occasional treat is going to be better for me than if I deprive myself. And I ALWAYS watch my portions, never having more than 2 servings of "sweets" or "junk" in a day.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    On that note, there are people who laugh at the idea of moderation and who won't touch food they consider less than optimal. I just recently read that it is now considered an eating disorder.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/orthorexia-obsession-healthy-foods-leads-eating-disorder/story?id=10173614

Agreed. One can find themselves fully happy and content while being true to what they believe in. Doesn't automatically make it a disorder to do so.
  • larsoncd
    larsoncd Posts: 8
    Options
    I had salmon and eggs for breakfast.... real food == yummy
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Agreed. One can find themselves fully happy and content while being true to what they believe in. Doesn't automatically make it a disorder to do so.

And I'm not sure anyone said it did.
  • smushymushy85
    Options
    Well logically speaking you can burn what you eat as you exercise it isnt just your calories that I crease but whole RDI increases .. hpwever bad fat is still bad fat and bad sugar is still bad sugar so regardless to " how much you can eat " bad is still bad (thpugh exercising it off will stop weight gain. .. make junk food yourself.. still getting that junk taste but you have control to what goes into it.
    So working out to eat extra food in general does work
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I really had a lightbulb moment the other night.

Just because we exercise enough to burn off any excess calories, isn't going to undo:

-the fact that a lot of foods have too much fat, cholesterol, or toxins in them that our body has to detox.
    -the lowered amount of actual nutrition we get when the foods took the place of high-nutrient foods
    -the loss of extra time due to needing a longer workout than our bodies need to get strong

Add to this: Just because we can stay within our calories eating whatever we want and losing weight, doesn't mean we'll be in the kind of health we all really want. Because the truth is, if we are to feel the way we really want to feel, we got to be eating mostly quality foods, not processed stuff. And most definitely a LOT of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds.

One: What toxins? Please would someone tell me just what TOXINS are floating around my body?

Two: Duh. A person should get their macros and micros (processed food source or whole food source) in order to maintain health.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Did you really just say this? Protein in 100 cals of broccoli....haha. Thats so not even close to being right

93 cals of Broccoli has 9grams of protein. 93 cals of a basic Steak 96% lean, has 9 grams as well!!!! Learn to do math please.

Depends on the steak of course. That sounds like a healthier version. I don't worry about protein anymore. i get plenty of Protein from my diet.

No, it doesn't depend on the steak, and I'm saying this to you as a vegetarian.

Further, beyond the issue of how much protein is the kind of protein and how easily your body can actually use it.

http://eathropology.com/2013/04/08/broccoli-has-more-protein-than-steak-and-other-crap/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I ate both Flamin hot cheetos and nachos for dinner yesterday. I feel great.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What a random thread to bump. I mean, if you want some ridiculous thread on toxinz, you don't have to go back 3 years to get one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    BREAKING_NEWS_-_Thread_Resurrected21_Dead_thread_br_zpsa668274a.jpg
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat and cholesterol aren't a cause for concern.

"Detoxing" is something I"m VERY leery of in general.

Other than that I agree.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much bet that if I eat like crap, I will not have a loss for that week; even though I am still at a deficit and have exercised like normal. Now are there weeks that it is worth it to me to suffer not having a loss so I can let loose a little???? You bet your sweet *kitten* there are!!!! They are not too often though because the more I have of junk, the more I want and I have started eating to nourish my bod and give it what it needs!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I got got. Damn.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I got got. Damn.

:laugh:

Happens to the best of us.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    suggest you try something like a steak and butter bean casarole. You can cut the amount of steak right down, but still get the taste and texture, lower the fat and gain all the yummyness of butter beans. Now you've made me hungry!

Holy smokes,that sounds delicious. I am going to take your suggestion!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I really had a lightbulb moment the other night.

Just because we exercise enough to burn off any excess calories, isn't going to undo:

-the fact that a lot of foods have too much fat, cholesterol, or toxins in them that our body has to detox.
    -the lowered amount of actual nutrition we get when the foods took the place of high-nutrient foods
    -the loss of extra time due to needing a longer workout than our bodies need to get strong

Add to this: Just because we can stay within our calories eating whatever we want and losing weight, doesn't mean we'll be in the kind of health we all really want. Because the truth is, if we are to feel the way we really want to feel, we got to be eating mostly quality foods, not processed stuff. And most definitely a LOT of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds.

One: What toxins? Please would someone tell me just what TOXINS are floating around my body?

Two: Duh. A person should get their macros and micros (processed food source or whole food source) in order to maintain health.

Many foods, natural or artificial, contain toxins. You can get a list of them with a quick internet search. That's why we need organs that get rid of toxins.