Paelo Challenge

Options

Replies

• RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    You're the exception to the rule with beef prices. It's 2x as expensive at least and I am already on a tight budget. I do buy pastured eggs because they aren't that much more and the yolks are so much oranger. I can't go back to battery eggs. Blech. Luckily we're in a great time of year for local veggies!

I'm in the same boat as you. My budget is restricted to the point where I'll probably have to sacrifice a couple of things to get the food I need. That being said, I have never actually tried this so can't speak in certainties. This might actually be cheaper depending on a lot of different factors. I'm just trying to stay frugal and environmentally conscious at the same time. I will be posting my receipts and a monthly total at the end of the challenge.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    As far as the "dairy/no dairy" goes, this is where I make a slight exception (per Sisson). I don't drink milk, eat cottage cheese/yogurt, etc but I DO put heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee. SO much better than skim milk. I will also occasionally use Kerry Gold Irish Butter.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    You're the exception to the rule with beef prices. It's 2x as expensive at least and I am already on a tight budget. I do buy pastured eggs because they aren't that much more and the yolks are so much oranger. I can't go back to battery eggs. Blech. Luckily we're in a great time of year for local veggies!

I'm in the same boat as you. My budget is restricted to the point where I'll probably have to sacrifice a couple of things to get the food I need. That being said, I have never actually tried this so can't speak in certainties. This might actually be cheaper depending on a lot of different factors. I'm just trying to stay frugal and environmentally conscious at the same time. I will be posting my receipts and a monthly total at the end of the challenge.

I read somewhere, so don't quote me as fact, that if you cook non-grassfed (store bought) beef in pastured butter, such as Kerry Gold, etc that the beef should be fine. The key, to my understanding is to raise the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio. I read somewhere that the pastured butter can help. I'll have to scour for an article so don't quote this as "fact."
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    that's for sure.. the grass fed organic beef here is outrageous. a tiny little package that is not even enough to feed a 1/4 of our children for 10-15 dollars.. we will not going that route any time soon. We are getting ready to put our house up for sale and move to the country with some land where we hope to raise our own animals.. Pyro.. I think for that price I'd be willing to drive to your neighborhood and stock up for the next 6 months! no kidding we will actually be in Ohio at the end of July for my husband's grandfather's 100th birthday.. this man is living testiment to natural healthy living.. though he is not paleo.. he had bacon, eggs and coffee almost every day of his life for breakfast, put in a huge garden every year, eats healthy homemade food.. doesn't believe in eating junk.He only starting having health issues the last few years .. up until then he was walking 5 miles a day and still driving himself . 2 years ago he said he was" starting to feel old"
    I hope I can say the same at 98 years old!
    It doesn't have to cost much more or even cost more at all. It get's more expensive trying to chase down the organic, grass fed, free range, cage free type of things. You simply buy the best you can afford or are willing to spend. So buy regular eggs instead of Omega 3 organic ones that cost 3 times as much. No biggie. But organic Bananas are only 20 cents more a pound. Organic grass fed beef at my grocery is currently CHEAPER than regular beef.

And ya, the no farting thing is funny. You totally change your microbial flora when you stop eating carbs.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    NO WAY I AM GIVING UP COFFEE.. that would not be wise.. things would definitely get ugly!:happy: I am new to all of this so I may be wrong, but I've not seen anything that says caffeine is not paleo.. some of the more experienced paleo/primals want to chime in on that one? and many still eat dairy.
    I wonder if I can join? I ask because I am not exactly Paleo, but very similar. I am not giving up dairy or coffee. Unfortunately, if I had to pick coffee or being skinny, I might just choose coffee. Isn't that sad??

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that. I can't give up the DAIRY in my coffee.

I totally get that one too..:laugh: if I were not lactose intolerant I'd be using heavy cream in mine.. but since dairy now hates me I use canned full fat coconut milk or coconut creamer when I can get a hold of it
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Great idea :-) Having been doing a hunter-gatherer paleo type diet since mid-March (except for dark chocolate and wine occasionally). Started on MFP keeping track to lose weight; decided to explore the diet guidelines for paleo after doing a lot of reading and I can't believe the results. Totally aside from the weight slowly melting off, my overall health has improved in so many ways (both incremental and significant), I will never go back to eating the SAD. This decision comes after following the SAD all my life (in my mid-50s), so the younger you are the fewer excuses for claiming it's too much of a change haha!

This blogger has some great links:
    http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/p/primal-paleo-real-food-resources.html including this one about eating paleo on the cheap http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/2010/11/15-tips-for-eating-paleo-on-cheap.html

I buy my eggs from a farmer for half the cost in the store; she also sells beef, veal, chicken and pork, so I'm very lucky in that respect. As has been mentioned, at least try to source good quality meats--turkey is an excellent source of protein, if the prospect of eating lots of beef is daunting. The reason the emphasis is on grass fed or wild raised meat sources is because these meats are lower in saturated fats and higher in the omega-3 fats; unlike feedlot antibiotic- hormone- and corn-fed beef. One thing: it never occurred to me to eat is roasted bones for the marrow, but it's so good! The crockpot has become a workhorse, especially now the hot weather is here.

Since an important aspect of the paleo diet is vegetables, look into joining a CSA or grow as much as you can. Container gardens for vegetables are doable by almost everyone and there's nothing like snipping a fresh salad for dinner. I'm an avid gardener so if you have any questions in that respect, message me.

My diary is open and much of why I'm eating paleo is explained in my profile; one thing I haven't done is try to replicate baked goods from nut flours and such. I used to love baking--homemade bread, pasta, cookies etc. and rarely bought store-bought. Part of the *trauma* for me has been looking at my stand mixer sitting idle :sad: I just haven't been able to bring myself to make coconut flour brownies & such ... mostly because I ask myself: 'why, what's the point?' It takes time to alter your mindset to see fruit etc as a treat. And then of course, there's the solace of that single piece of dark chocolate :love:

Elsewhere someone posted a thread for paleo/primal cooking--if someone else doesn't provide it here, I'll look for it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the beef thing shocked me. I actually considered regular beef being short on cash an then I saw it was actually more per pound. At first they just had strip steak, ribeye/delmonico, and flank. Now they have ground too. If I catch High Plains Bison when they stick the "last day to sell" discount on them. They are competitive with all muscle chuck. I just wish rattlesnake wasn't $60.00 a pound.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    As far as the "dairy/no dairy" goes, this is where I make a slight exception (per Sisson). I don't drink milk, eat cottage cheese/yogurt, etc but I DO put heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee. SO much better than skim milk. I will also occasionally use Kerry Gold Irish Butter.

Same... I use very little dairy, but it's full fat. I am happy with my loss. About the breath - I only get it when I have been really strict on carbs (under 20) for about a week. I just use listerine strips. I don't think you'll get it unless you're really strict about carbs, which shouldn't happen if you're eating berries and some fruits.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm up for a bit of a challenge. I've toyed with food combining before and always found I had more energy on a more protein based diet.

I'd not want to give up the expensive cheese I bought the other day though!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Make it an 80/20 Paleo challenge and finish up your cheese.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    **EDIT: It's the PALEO Challenge...not paelo. It's still early for me guys. Sorry. =_=

Don't worry too much, we call it "Palelo" where I reside... :bigsmile:

lol, that's my bad :blushing:
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    Agreed, you guys all make excellent points. I think there was a study WAY back where they had found a tribe of indigenous people eating (obviously) what came from their environments and their teeth were immaculate and they never had to brush them or anything and never had cavities (not saying I'm going to stop brushing my teeth lol, don't worry). But after the researchers introduced a "western diet" (sugars, carbs and all that jazz) their teeth (and health) started rotting and falling out and such. I'm going to try and find the study tomorrow when I'm not at work but I just thought I'd throw that in there for good measure.

Paleoanthropologists and paleobiologists can tell a great deal about the diet of a specimen based on bones, bone structure, and teeth, and assessing it in its geographic and floral/faunal context. It's from their research and that of modern hunter gatherers that much of the theory for this diet is based.

Some of this research addresses that (in case you have nothing better to do :-)
    http://books.google.ca/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Wz8Kf3mO_i4C&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=paleobiology+diet+human&ots=jiKbYwgZXY&sig=xQ6qto8uVU_kpb2hQbIMevgQ_Tk#v=onepage&q=paleobiology diet human&f=false
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/256/5061/1281.short
    http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/79/1/101.abstract
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/2/341.abstract
    http://ncp.sagepub.com/content/25/6/594.abstract
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/h7628r66r0552222/
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/71/3/682.short
    http://cast.uark.edu/local/icaes/conferences/wburg/posters/pungar/satalk.htm
    http://books.google.ca/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Pl4caV9oi1kC&oi=fnd&pg=PR10&dq=paleoanthropology+diet+human&ots=-NHT2J988-&sig=ScckccDV_4BvWBg-Y6lJOLdPzkk#v=onepage&q=paleoanthropology diet human&f=false
    Academic explanation for how paleoanthropologists can 'tell' http://www.coloradocollege.edu/dept/gy/Facultywebpages/Henrys Updates/Bonebeds_ch8.pdf
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    *clipped*

Elsewhere someone posted a thread for paleo/primal cooking--if someone else doesn't provide it here, I'll look for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/246360-low-carb-primal-grain-free-sources
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've been following a low carb diet for nearly two months now. It's not primal or paleo as much as it's just low carb. I do have occasional slips but it's usually because I haven't stocked up on food at home. It can also be really expensive! I do still eat dairy though. And I think I'm fine eating dairy... not problems there for me. I just don't go overboard with it. My goal is to quit fast food and only eat at home or a nicer restaurant meal. I've noticed some inches gone and I feel much better... I think I am sensitive to carbs that are processed and even grains. I feel so much better eliminating those! Good luck to all who attempt this... it's worth it!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The best part for me is not farting all day long of most days and the amazement of how those old foods make me feel if have one of them as a treat.

LOL

There it is!

Eat Paleo = Don't Fart.
  • kellibean13
    kellibean13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone! I've been Paleo since June 1 and am loving the results! My current profile pic was taken today, and the outfit I'm wearing FIT ME at the beginning of the month!

Besides the loss of inches, I feel amazing! No more bloating, no more crazy gas, no more "GI issues." It was really astonishing to me how much the foods I now no longer eat were affecting me.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend the book "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf. I read both The Paleo Diet by Cordain, and The Paleo Solution, and I found The Paleo Solution to be much more relatable and a more enjoyable read. I got through The Paleo Diet out of necessity, but found myself really enjoying The Paleo Solution. (So much so that I'm actually re-reading it!)

I personally feel that if you are interested in trying Paleo, to jump in headfirst and eliminate everything you're supposed to eliminate. It gets very difficult to make "exceptions" for certain foods, because you don't really realize until they're gone how much they affect you. However, I'm also a strong advocate for doing what works best for you as an individual and if coffee, dairy, etc. work for you, then be my guest. :)

Not everyone will be supportive. I've had family tell me that they worry I'm not eating a "balanced" diet. I've had friends tell me they believe my diet is "unsustainable" and I'm risking my health and life for a fad. Again, do what works best for you and try to tune out the "noise."

For me, this is not a fad. I've changed my life. I eat whole, sustainably farmed, evironmentally responsible foods. I support my local farmers, butchers, and markets. I nourish my body with real, minimally processed, nutritious food. And I FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT! So for anyone who is interested, I say to you, "Go for it, and don't look back!!!"
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    Thanks to all the current paleos for contributing their stories and super useful links and recommendations!! :bigsmile: You're really helping all us newbs out.

For those that do follow the diet, what does your typical workout week look like? :smile:
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump it!
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    I'll join! I've been primal for a couple months now, and have had AMAZING results. I have most lost inches which has equated to about an 8% body fat drop, but no weight loss. I do tend to cheat a little more than I should, so I want to do strict for 1 month. To all those who are concerned about the not counting calories thing: I find it hard to eat my 1950 calorie load when I am eating strictly primal foods. If I cheat, then not a problem. I just find it hard to overeat meat. Eating the nuts is what'll get ya! Just eat when you get hungry and don't eat when you aren't. So, count me in!!!