muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!!!

Options

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that I'd rather weigh 150 and be tone than 150 and be plump. But as for me, I'd rather just really weigh 150 again lol!!!!

Lol actually yeh I'd like to get there first!
  • sionnain
    sionnain Posts: 96
    Options
    saying "muscle weighs more than fat" does not make it so they're using it out of context. if I lose 3 inches from my waist and i don't lose any weight, it's because i've gained muscle. the bit of fat I lost was the same in weight in muscle. the muscle is just smaller. but the loose vs lose thing does drive me crazy.
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Arrrrghh!!!! extreme necro bumps

thought this thread had died a long time ago

wondered what smelt funny round here, thought it was me, but no, it's the dug up from the grave, smelly maggoty fat/muscle debate again
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    i don't rant often, but this is just IRKING MY NERVES!!! UGH!!!

if i read the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" ONE.MORE.TIME i will probably scream!!! is anyone else miffed about this widespread misrepresentation for weightloss? i mean WTH?!? A POUND IS A FREAKING POUND. the actual difference is in the volume, or space, muscle and fat occupy. fat takes up more space than muscle. so you could have two ppl with the EXACT SAME weight, but one look much trimmer simply because they have LESS fat.

please baby, please baby, baby, baby PLEASE spread the word! correct your friends and help end the spread of this myth.

only YOU can help prevent the spread of fitness myths!

Yeah, this topic hasn't been posted over and over and over and over and.....

A quick search would have shown you the many times this has been posted and the extremely similar responses you are getting now.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    it does if there is more of it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But it does. Say you have a cubic foot of muscle and a cubic foot of fat. The muscle will weigh more.

Thank you.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Amen! And while we're at it QUIT USING THE WORD LOOSE FOR LOSE, and QUIT INSISTING THAT YOUR BODY WILL GO INTO "STARVATION MODE" if you don't eat back your exercise calories! Do what works for you, come here for motivation and support and the tools this site provides, but don't think any one way is THE way! Thanks, rant over.

Agree... I hate how much "starvation mode" keep getting thrown around. It seems people thin they can go into starvation mode after 3 days of not eating their ...lets say "1500cal" I Know what starvation is... Ive been in hospital for it... and still being treated. and it took me longer than 3 days to get there!!

My Rant over too... lol
    [/quote]

While I think this thread is wrong, in that it is correct to say that rocks weigh more than apples because it is making an observation really about density... That if you had a comparably sized rock and apple, the rock would weigh more. Of course if you had a pound of each, they would weigh the same.

Anyways, while I think the thread is wrong, I agree with you. I hate how convinced everyone is that they are in starvation mode. Or my favorite "I'm full, but I need to eat another 100 cals or I'll go into starvation mode!"
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Edit: Changed my mind... this dead horse is starting to stink.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Ah, this again. That poor, poor horse.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    That’s ridiculous. Nobody thinks a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. Surely not? Inch per inch, muscle does weigh more. I think that is what people mean when they say that.

^^^ Yeah- This!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I teach a Zumba class and have a lot of larger ladies in there. Sometimes they get discouraged because the scale is not going down as fast. I don't say, "Muscle weighs more than fat" BUT, I do tell them that I have designed the class in a way that they are building up their butt and leg muscles, so they are losing fat, but at the same time gaining muscle, and that is why their scales are not dropping like crazy.

When I explain that, they always tell me that they notice their clothes are fitter better and that their husbands are noticing their body changes. And I think that is great!!!
  • delilah47
    Options
    But it does. Say you have a cubic foot of muscle and a cubic foot of fat. The muscle will weigh more.

a cubic foot is a measurment of area.... not a measurement of weight.

A pound will always weigh a pound! if you have a pound of apples and a pound of rocks... they both still weigh the same A POUND!

If you fill an area the size of a cubic foot with apples and the area of a cubic foot with rocks... sure they may weigh different... because the space they occupy is different! it may take more apples to fill that area ... or more rocks.

BUT a pound will always be a pound. a Kilogram will always be a kilogram..... no matter what.

And no, it's not "area" it's VOLUME. And.. what is our body? Volume. So if you decrease your volume by losing fat, it will still be smaller than if you lose a pound of muscle. With that said, people who say they gained 5 pounds in a few days, but it must be that their body converted fat to muscle .. well, they are dreaming.
  • gaelyngaelyn
    gaelyngaelyn Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you dummies should be able to figure out what people MEAN when they say muscle weighs more than fat-
    The same volume or space taken up on your body of muscle would weigh more than the same volume or amount of space taken up on your body as fat.
    Most people out there do not actually think a pound weighs more than a pound, and the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" alone DOES. NOT. SPECIFY. that anyone thinks it would. Now if someone said "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" then THEY would be the dummy.... but just "muscle weighs more than fat" is simply a shorter way of putting the correct and lengthier explanation I stated above. So chill the eff out.
  • nanimoose
    nanimoose Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    mass / volume = density

muscle: 1.06 g / mL
    fat: 0.9 g / mL

1000 g of muscle: 943 mL
    1000 g of fat: 1111 mL
    ^ i.e. same mass, different density

:grumble:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options
    I think I have a great idea for a new MFP feature. I'd like to call it "unbumping" a thread. :wink:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    beat-a-dead-horse.jpg?w=635
  • delilah47
    Options
    I have a co-worker who is CONSTANTLY using words in improper context or using words completely outside any meaning they could possibly have. It grates on me. I try not to let it. It's the inanity of someone who keeps using words incorrectly. Not just once in a day, but pretty much all day. After so many times, it can start to get to someone.

I know right? The one I hate the most and maybe it's because my wife does it ALL THE TIME, is pacific for specific, no matter how many times I try to get her to say it right it’s just one of those things she will always do.

Or nucular for nuclear. lol Our president Bush was the worst offender.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    beat-a-dead-horse.jpg?w=635

Just lose the fat and shut up.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That’s ridiculous. Nobody thinks a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. Surely not? Inch per inch, muscle does weigh more. I think that is what people mean when they say that.

This.

I haven't seen anyone on the forums who actually doesn't understand this...