muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!!!

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    how about, muscle weighs more by volume than fat does.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    More rambling.

On a similar note, weight and mass are not interchangeable in the first place, which is the foundation of all of these other technical inaccuracies.

Everyone says "I weigh 100 kg." That is technically incorrect, because a kilogram is a unit of mass, NOT weight in scientific terms.

It should be, "I have a mass of 100 kg, and a WEIGHT (a measurement of force) of ~980 Newtons."

Again, it is so comman that no one really cares, but those of a scientific mind are sure to be offput by the misconception.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    i love how so many people ASSUME that whenever this statement is used the person is silently implying the volume caveat that's needed! the whole reason i posted this particular rant is because i'm sure there are more people who DON'T know the difference between volume and weight than people who do. with a statement like this being thrown around so liberally, the odds of having more people without a clear understanding is pretty high.

i guess i'm just a petty person for having a pet peeve about inaccurate statements. i have to say i'm quite surprised at the amount of venom that my rant has elicited. GOD FORBID any of the people who reacted so violently receive the same kind of reaction to any of thier pet peeves. gotta love the internet, we can all be as verbally aggressive as we want without fear of appearing socially inappropriate! yes, we can insult, call names and be condescending while chastising the OTHER PERSON for calling names, being insulting and condescending.

who knew my rant would elicit the same amount of venom as talking about diet soda, paleo/primal diets and the nefarious miscreants who don't eat back exercise calories! yep, my job is done! happy friday all!
  • kursejohn
    kursejohn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i don't rant often, but this is just IRKING MY NERVES!!! UGH!!!

I found this article helpful in the debate. http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    i love how so many people ASSUME that whenever this statement is used the person is silently implying the volume caveat that's needed! the whole reason i posted this particular rant is because i'm sure there are more people who DON'T know the difference between volume and weight than people who do. with a statement like this being thrown around so liberally, the odds of having more people without a clear understanding is pretty high.

i guess i'm just a petty person for having a pet peeve about inaccurate statements. i have to say i'm quite surprised at the amount of venom that my rant has elicited. GOD FORBID any of the people who reacted so violently receive the same kind of reaction to any of thier pet peeves. gotta love the internet, we can all be as verbally aggressive as we want without fear of appearing socially inappropriate! yes, we can insult, call names and be condescending while chastising the OTHER PERSON for calling names, being insulting and condescending.

who knew my rant would elicit the same amount of venom as talking about diet soda, paleo/primal diets and the nefarious miscreants who don't eat back exercise calories! yep, my job is done! happy friday all!

I might need to re-read the thread, but I didn't think anyone was getting nasty about it. I thought it was just a good-natured, friendly debate.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    More rambling.

On a similar note, weight and mass are not interchangeable in the first place, which is the foundation of all of these other technical inaccuracies.

Everyone says "I weight 100 kg." That is technically incorrect, because a kilogram is a unit of mass, NOT weight in scientific terms.

It should be, "I have a mass of 100 kg, and a WEIGHT (a measurement of force) of ~980 Newtons."

Again, it is so comman that no one really cares, but those of a scientific mind are sure to be offput by the misconception.

Absolutely! I do shipping paperwork for my job and there was a form I had to fill out that asked for the density of something, which was very uncommon for the paperwork I fill out. When I tried talking to the woman who was supposed to explain it to me, she thought I was nuts. She had no idea what I was talking about, about the units. She did not understand that the form was even asking for density. Being a bio/chem student, it drove me bananas.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I would say this thread is relatively tame compared to a lot of what you can stumble across out there haha.

Pet peeves are such for a reason. If everyone were irked by the same things, none of them would exist. Things that annoy the holy hell out of me might be the entire foundation of someone elses life. (not going to go into specifics, but I'm sure you can take some guesses...)

As for assumptions, a large part of language is based on assumptions and context. When you see the word "present" you don't really know what it means unless you see what context it is used in. Hell, with ANYthing you have to assume that the listener has the same information and is capable of reaching the same conclusions. Your comprehension of every single word I am writing is based on my assumption that you understand the english language.

I like this thread, I'm bored at work and its nice to refresh myself on the joys of science and the ways of my fellow humans.
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    edited because qoute wouldnt work
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

sorry, what I meant to say is I have no opinion except "kumbaya"
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! Is all I have to say for this post!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Really the ONLY time I have seen this phrase (muscle weighs more than fat) is when someone says something like this; “I’m losing inches but not weight”, and the response is, well you might be adding muscle and losing fat, because,,,,,, wait for it,,,, muscle weighs more than fat. THAT is the only time I see it used. Which very strongly implies the volume side of the equation. If however you have seen it used in a context other than that, I can see how that would bother a person.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    But it does. Say you have a cubic foot of muscle and a cubic foot of fat. The muscle will weigh more.

exactly, this is what people mean. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat but when people say muscle weighs more than fat then mean if you replace the space the fat was taking up with muscle it would weigh more

Then it should be "muscle has more volume...so the same pound of muscle will actually be a smaller amount...but as far as weight, it doesn't weigh more than fat.

That is incorrect. Muscle is denser than fat so an equal portion of muscle will weigh more than fat.

lol damn...denser...volume...Im getting my measurements all messed up...and this thread is going in circles so I just want muscle, no fat....and peace be with you!...and you! and you!:flowerforyou:
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ...and this thread is going in circles......

Ya'll are old school.. we have mp3 players now... there's no reason for a broken record! =-p
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

Ya'll are old school.. we have mp3 players now... there's no reason for a broken record! =-p

LOL
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    Amen! And while we're at it QUIT USING THE WORD LOOSE FOR LOSE, and QUIT INSISTING THAT YOUR BODY WILL GO INTO "STARVATION MODE" if you don't eat back your exercise calories! Do what works for you, come here for motivation and support and the tools this site provides, but don't think any one way is THE way! Thanks, rant over.
    [/quote]

Loose for lose, love that one...:)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I am just amused... and very distracted by the pic in your signature. LOL!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    God! How I love hearing other word nerds rant about the misuse of our language! It brings joy to my heart! Irregardless of the affects. [that was a double-hit word nerd joke...just in case you missed it] :laugh:

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its true, muscle weighs more than fat

my *kitten* weighs more than her *kitten* cause my *kitten* is all muscle, baybeeeeee!

kidding

I had to get a joke in somewhere
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Its true, muscle weighs more than fat

my *kitten* weighs more than her *kitten* cause my *kitten* is all muscle, baybeeeeee!

kidding

I had to get a joke in somewhere

LMAO!!
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    Will someone please call Bob or Jillian and get a video taped answer of Dr. Oz , Dr. Phil, Oprah, Barack Obama George Bush or the Easter Bunny, This topic is way over played ! Enough Already !