muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!!!

Options

Replies

• Janetlabori
    Options
    I'm go once a week to a weight lose center and I was explained to muscles and fat weight the same. The only difference is that fat occupies more space. So lossing fat rather than muscle is very good. On my diet, I have only lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks but my measurements are reducing faster than in any other diet I have been one. Hope this info helps anyone who is confused.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP, a pound is a pound, muscle or fat, to balance the scale, 1=1. For instance, a pound of feathers was the same as a pound of steel. 1 pound is equal to 1 pound.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who is CONSTANTLY using words in improper context or using words completely outside any meaning they could possibly have. It grates on me. I try not to let it. It's the inanity of someone who keeps using words incorrectly. Not just once in a day, but pretty much all day. After so many times, it can start to get to someone.

I know right? The one I hate the most and maybe it's because my wife does it ALL THE TIME, is pacific for specific, no matter how many times I try to get her to say it right it’s just one of those things she will always do.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Do you need a whole thread to tell people that pound is a pound? When people say that muscle weighs more than fat they mean by volume. Anyone who is able to use this website will know that a pound is a pound. So are you saying that steel weighs the same as fethers? and water same as air? and everything in the world weighs the same, just have a different size? And you weigh the same as me, as pound of you = a pound of me? MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT BY VOLUME. thats what people mean. Dont insult anyones intelligence.

Nicely said!!!!

My Doctor told me muscle weighs more than FAT! If you are eating healthy, and working out and not seeing a response on the scale it is probably due to muscle gain. Because muscle weighs more than fat!

Your doctor is completely wrong.

If we gained muscle that quickly we'd all look like Mr. Olympia.

I'm being completely serious, though. If you see a response on the scale, I have a big secret to let everyone in on:

YOUR BODY'S WEIGHT FLUCTUATES DUE TO WATER. Our bodies themselves are, of course, mostly water. Retention, loss, retention, loss. You eat, you lose waste, process repeated. Over time, you'll lose some fat. Gaining (adding) muscle mass, though, is a very slow process over time. We can develop muscle fiber, but to add mass - not easy; not fast.

Well now you are talking about the subject with relationship to time. Yes, this particular misnomer leads to other misconceptions, but there is still ultimately fact in the statement.
  • monsode
    monsode Posts: 7
    Options
    You are so right ,it is like say which weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks? a pound is a pound!
  • freerange
    Options
    Honestly? Do you need a whole thread to tell people that pound is a pound? When people say that muscle weighs more than fat they mean by volume. Anyone who is able to use this website will know that a pound is a pound. So are you saying that steel weighs the same as fethers? and water same as air? and everything in the world weighs the same, just have a different size? And you weigh the same as me, as pound of you = a pound of me? MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT BY VOLUME. thats what people mean. Dont insult anyones intelligence.

Nicely said!!!!

My Doctor told me muscle weighs more than FAT! If you are eating healthy, and working out and not seeing a response on the scale it is probably due to muscle gain. Because muscle weighs more than fat!

I'm being completely serious, though. If you see a response on the scale, I have a big secret to let everyone in on:

YOUR BODY'S WEIGHT FLUCTUATES DUE TO WATER. Our bodies themselves are, of course, mostly water. Retention, loss, retention, loss. You eat, you lose waste, process repeated. Over time, you'll lose some fat. Gaining (adding) muscle mass, though, is a very slow process over time. We can develop muscle fiber, but to add mass - not easy; not fast.

I know this also bothers me, but normally I don’t say anything because I don’t want to burst their bubble. But I hate it when someone comes on here and says, “what happened I gained 2 pounds this week” And someone says, “have you been lifting weights, maybe you gained muscle” Really? 2 pounds in a week, Hell Ronnie Coleman can’t do that with a IV hooked up to steroids.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Nicely said!!!!

Well now you are talking about the subject with relationship to time. Yes, this particular misnomer leads to other misconceptions, but there is still ultimately fact in the statement.

More important to emphasize fat loss. The sculpted look of a muscular or athletic person is the lower level of subcutaneous fat tissue on their body.

It's generally not a gain in muscle mass unless it's intentional - i.e. eating maintenance and above caloric intake with the aim of muscle gain.

Gains that are proclaimed as "muscle gain" are actually an increase in water weight due to the glycation process.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Semantics

Yep. And based on size, it does.

SEE SIZE DOES MATTER !!!!!!!!!!!
  • freerange
    Options
    Semantics

Yep. And based on size, it does.

SEE SIZE DOES MATTER !!!!!!!!!!!

Why does it ALWAYS have to go there :wink:
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    So what does a scream on the internet actually look like??? lol I wanna see this, its pretty pointless to rant about something you will never be able to change. but carry on
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    "I dont think he was meaning to insult anyone's Inteligence.
    I know of people who actually think and believe that muscle weigh's more than fat. seriously!! and i'm not talking about uneducated or "slow" individuals... I'm taling about just normal everyday people who have heard the saying and think that it's true, and dont get the volume thing at all! :)"

Quoted from previous poster, not sure why the quote didn't take.

Muscle does weigh more than fat due to density. Just because the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" does not include clarification of the properties of the two does not change the fact.

Thank you. Ask a scientist....as a teacher, ask anyone who deals with weights and measures on a daily basis. A pound is a freaking pound...but when you are determining the weight of an object...you use a freaking set volume!! Without that control...we would never know how much one item weighs versus another. I don't weigh the same as you, I don't weigh the same as many people who are my exact height and rough size. Often I weigh more!!...due to bone and muscle density.

This isn't rocket science people. Feathers don't weigh the same as rocks, lead doesn't weigh the same as cotton...and muscle doesn't weigh the same as fat. You HAVE to use the control of a given volume when discussing comparitive weights.

Afreakingmen. The human body can only gain about 1lb of lean muscle a month...and that's lifting at bodybuilder intensity...eating on a diet that is so protein heavy you have trouble using the restroom. Weight fluctuations...AND measurement fluctuations are almost invariably the result of water retention gains and losses.

I've lost 4lbs in the last couple days...finally breaking a 6 week plateau. NO one is going to tell me I lost 4lbs of fat...and when my weight goes back up (which it may), it's certainly not because i gained muscle.

Cris
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Nicely said!!!!

More important to emphasize fat loss. The sculpted look of a muscular or athletic person is the lower level of subcutaneous fat tissue on their body.

It's generally not a gain in muscle mass unless it's intentional - i.e. eating maintenance and above caloric intake with the aim of muscle gain.

Gains that are proclaimed as "muscle gain" are actually an increase in water weight due to the glycation process.

I absolutely agree with you. Despite being below my calorie goal yesterday, I gained 1.5 lbs over the course of the night. I realize that gain is water. Now I am just trying to discern from what because my sodium was below goal as well. Like I said, the misnomer "muscle weighs more than fat" will cause people to draw the wrong conclusions, however, that does not make the statement untrue. Like someone said earlier, it is all semantics, and truly not worth ranting about. The most anyone can hope is to educate others, as I was educated when I first started using the site.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before and anytime I read it in a forum repsonse, I lose it on that person!!!!!!!!!!!! It drives me BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscle is more DENSE than fat, therefore it takes up less space. I think the people who actually beleive this need to go back to 2nd grade math and remember that a pound is a pound no matter what it is.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I know right? The one I hate the most and maybe it's because my wife does it ALL THE TIME, is pacific for specific, no matter how many times I try to get her to say it right it’s just one of those things she will always do.

Perhaps your wife has a small palate deformity that makes it difficult for her to form the "s" sound in conjunction with a "p" sound and you are nagging at her for something she has little control over. Maybe she should go under the knife to have this small deformity corrected for your comfort. And while she's there the doctors can remove one square inch of fat and one square inch of muscle, put it on a scale and figure out if they weigh the same.

When you compare measurements of two objects, do you do it by the unit (measuring one whole orange to one whole apple or 1 square inch of jello to one square inch of sponge cake) or do you first measure out one pound of each and then compare them (hmmmm... one pound of apple weighs the same as one pound of orange)? If you answered the former, then muscle weighs more than fat. If you answered the latter... then you are beyond help.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well, just to keep this whole thing going and to say something different than has been just said about 30 times....
    Technically, a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold. Precious metals are weighed using Troy weight and 1 troy ounce = 1.097 ounces U.S. Therefore 16 oz of feathers = 14.58 oz of gold. A pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold.
    Chew on that....
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    But it does. Say you have a cubic foot of muscle and a cubic foot of fat. The muscle will weigh more.

THANK YOU!
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Perhaps your wife has a small palate deformity that makes it difficult for her to form the "s" sound in conjunction with a "p" sound and you are nagging at her for something she has little control over. Maybe she should go under the knife to have this small deformity corrected for your comfort. And while she's there the doctors can remove one square inch of fat and one square inch of muscle, put it on a scale and figure out if they weigh the same.

When you compare measurements of two objects, do you do it by the unit (measuring one whole orange to one whole apple or 1 square inch of jello to one square inch of sponge cake) or do you first measure out one pound of each and then compare them (hmmmm... one pound of apple weighs the same as one pound of orange)? If you answered the former, then muscle weighs more than fat. If you answered the latter... then you are beyond help.

I don't have a weak bladder, but I think I just peed a little in my pants.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before and anytime I read it in a forum repsonse, I lose it on that person!!!!!!!!!!!! It drives me BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscle is more DENSE than fat, therefore it takes up less space. I think the people who actually beleive this need to go back to 2nd grade math and remember that a pound is a pound no matter what it is.

What you are saying is true....
    A specific weight of muscle TAKES UP LESS SPACE than an equal weight of fat.
    What I am saying is ALSO true...
    A specific volume of muscle WEIGHS MORE than an equal volume of fat.

Both are true. Not one or the other. Plus!!! They prove each other.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I'm so confused

It is very simple. If you are under calorie and exercise for one day and gain, then all you gained is water. If you are under calorie and exercise for two months and gain, then some of that gain will be muscle and some will be water.