Riddle me this Batman...

Options

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I found quite possibly the ultimate riddle. This one requires paper to solve. I solved it after three tries. You might want to print this one out to cross the Q's off. I did. Don't post the answer if you get it so more people can try this one. PM me to find out or for a clue, but if you get it right, you'll know and won't need to send me a message!!

...........................................................................................................................................................

Einstein's Intelligence Quiz
    Einstein wrote this quiz last century. He said that 98% of the people in the world cannot solve the quiz.

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors.
    In each house lives a person with a different nationality.
    These 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet.
    No two owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same drink.

***HERE'S THE QUESTION TO SOLVE: Who owns the fish?***

The Brit lives in a red house.
    The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
    The Dane drinks tea.
    The green house is on the left of the white house.
    The green house owner drinks coffee.
    The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
    The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
    The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk.
    The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats.
    The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill.
    The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
    The German smokes Prince.
    The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.

With these 15 clues the problem is solvable.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Just for fun I made a program to solve the "Einstein" quiz last year (funny part is it took longer to write the program than to solve by hand). My wife was on a logic problem kick. The easiest way to solve these is to make a grid where the heritage connect with houses, another with heritage and pet, heritage and drink, house and pet, house and drink, and pet and drink. When you know something isn't correct, put an X in that box, if it is put an O.

I think the answer I will put for the first riddle is 6. I say this thinking back to how they teach kids to draw numbers using dots. If I remember correctly, 1 had 2 dots, 2 had 4, 6 had 3, and 0 has 4, so 12 would have 6 dots and so would 10.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Just for fun I made a program to solve the "Einstein" quiz last year (funny part is it took longer to write the program than to solve by hand). My wife was on a logic problem kick. The easiest way to solve these is to make a grid where the heritage connect with houses, another with heritage and pet, heritage and drink, house and pet, house and drink, and pet and drink. When you know something isn't correct, put an X in that box, if it is put an O.

Still thinking about the first riddle (numbers), I have an idea, but not for sure.
    I drew it out on paper in 5 columns and filled each item in until I had an item that could be it two places. I knew that something was wrong, so I started over. Third time's the charm!!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I found quite possibly the ultimate riddle. This one requires paper to solve. I solved it after three tries. You might want to print this one out to cross the Q's off. I did. Don't post the answer if you get it so more people can try this one. PM me to find out or for a clue, but if you get it right, you'll know and won't need to send me a message!!

...........................................................................................................................................................

Einstein's Intelligence Quiz
    Einstein wrote this quiz last century. He said that 98% of the people in the world cannot solve the quiz.

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors.
    In each house lives a person with a different nationality.
    These 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet.
    No two owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same drink.

***HERE'S THE QUESTION TO SOLVE: Who owns the fish?***

The Brit lives in a red house.
    The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
    The Dane drinks tea.
    The green house is on the left of the white house.
    The green house owner drinks coffee.
    The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
    The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
    The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk.
    The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats.
    The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill.
    The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
    The German smokes Prince.
    The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.

With these 15 clues the problem is solvable.

GOOD LUCK!!

Sorry I riled your feathers....I edited out my wrong response!!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Wrong!! And I posted NOT to post the ANSWER so OTHERS can play. Thank you.

"The green house is on the left of the white house."

***And the question is: Who owns the fish?***
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    A non-member wishes to enter a club, so he eavesdrops near the door to pick up the password. A member approaches and the doorman says, "Twelve." The member replies, "Six" and is granted entry. The next member approaches and the doorman says, "Six." The member replies, "Three" and passes by the doorman. The non-member thinking he has heard enough to gain entry approaches and the doorman says, "Ten." His reply of "Five" does not allow him entry. What should he have said and why?

He should have said "Three". Twelve has 6 letters....six has three letters...Ten also has three letters....
  • runningneo122
    Options
    A non-member wishes to enter a club, so he eavesdrops near the door to pick up the password. A member approaches and the doorman says, "Twelve." The member replies, "Six" and is granted entry. The next member approaches and the doorman says, "Six." The member replies, "Three" and passes by the doorman. The non-member thinking he has heard enough to gain entry approaches and the doorman says, "Ten." His reply of "Five" does not allow him entry. What should he have said and why?

He should have said "Three". Twelve has 6 letters....six has three letters...Ten also has three letters....
    EXCELLENT !!
  • hroush
    Options

EXCELLENT !!

duh, figured it was something simple like that. I like my idea more though.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Where will you find roads without cars, forests without trees and cities without houses?
  • runningneo122
    Options
    A man was at a bar feeling poor when he sees a rich man take a $50 bill out his pocket to pay the cashier.The poor man says to the rich man, "I know all the songs known to man." The rich man laughed and said, "I bet you all the money in my pocket that you can't sing a song with my daughter's name in it, Sarah Lee Greyson." The poor man went home rich and the rich man went home poor. What song did the man sing?
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    A man was at a bar feeling poor when he sees a rich man take a $50 bill out his pocket to pay the cashier.The poor man says to the rich man, "I know all the songs known to man." The rich man laughed and said, "I bet you all the money in my pocket that you can't sing a song with my daughter's name in it, Sarah Lee Greyson." The poor man went home rich and the rich man went home poor. What song did the man sing?

happy birthday
  • runningneo122
    Options

happy birthday
    Correct!!
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    Where will you find roads without cars, forests without trees and cities without houses?

a map? or possibly a dictionary
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Yes, a map and I guess dictionary would work. Excellent !!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    YES! Charcoal. And sweeeet I got that right :D!!!
    What black when you buy it, red when you use it and gray when you throw it away?
    Charcoal
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    Yes, a map and I guess dictionary would work. Excellent !!
    i was dubious about map as here in the uk the ordinance survey maps (the good ones) do actually have trees on them to identify the type of woodland, but bog standard road maps etc don't so i decided to punt for it on the off chance adding dictionary as a back up lol
  • Nick0sm0m
    Nick0sm0m Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A man goes to town on Friday, stays 3 days, and leaves on Friday. How did this happen?
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    A man goes to town on Friday, stays 3 days, and leaves on Friday. How did this happen?

Is he riding a horse named Friday?
  • runningneo122
    Options
    That would be my guess, too.
  • hroush
    Options

Is he riding a horse named Friday?

that is correct.