(POST 3) BATTLE OF THE BULGE - Summer Slimdown Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks MikeyKeith! you are absolutely right. This is a lifestyle change. I have come to realize that after trying to lose weight for the past few years. My journey started off with weight watchers and I did learn a lot but I could not stick with the points counting. I quit WW and joined a gym, made working out a habit. Now I am at my next step on my journey as I try to improve my eating habits.

My favorite workout is spin classes! I think its a lot of fun-especially if you have great spin instructors and some good motivating music.
  • summer_of_69
    summer_of_69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bad few weeks culminated by a weight gain this week, so I am thinking hard about what needs changing in my lifestyle to make the scale go down for good.

One thing I know I need to do is DRINK WATER. There was one or two days that I did this religiously (and peed like a horse) but I also lost weight those weeks. I think it takes 27 days in a row to make something a habit, so I'm committing to bringing a water bottle to work with me and filling it up/drinking it up three times in a workday.

The big lifestyle change I also need is committed partners for exercise. Right now I'm between programs and am finding it easy to blow off my planned exercise. In a month I will be back on track with a program and other people to do them with, so for the moment, I need to find others to do my work outs with so I can not let them (and me) down. It works when I have someone I'm supposed to meet to go running with!

Doesn't help that it's so darn hot in NC (100's) and that I am not sure that treadmill running really "counts" as a long run.... I want to run hills and valleys and things at Duke Forest.

On that note, I'm going to log my food for the day now and then go run at Duke Forest - very slowly in this heat, but I will do my 4 miles. :)
    DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    Diets rarely work. They rarely bring PERMANENT weight loss. The only way to true PERMANENT weight loss is to change your LIFESTYLE. You need to make Lifestyle changes that will help you make the right choices and stick to good habits. There is no way to achieve a Lifestyle Change if you hate what you are doing. I encourage you to find out what motivates you. What is the exercise that is right for you? What is the exercise that you look forward to doing? If you hate what you are doing, its only a matter of time before you quit doing it.

Today I challenge all of you to think hard about how you can make this healthier you journey become a lifestyle. What lifestyle changes have you made to make a healthier you a way of life? What are you not doing that you will start doing to stay on the path to a healthier you?
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm thinking once I am moved and settled, I want to purchase a heart rate monitor. Anyone have recommendations????? Thanks!
  • multiplex
    multiplex Posts: 8
    Options
    Congratulations, Krispy17!! GREAT job this week!!!!!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Today I reached 100 days of dieting and losing weight. I have never lasted this long when it comes to losing weight. I am really trying to drink more water this week and eating healthier. I want to lose another 17 pounds by mid September. I haven't weight this little since my senior year of high school. I haven't been under 220 pounds since I was 15. I turn 20 on our next weigh in, lol.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    great challenge.....thanks!!
    i have had to make so many changes since april 6th, the day i was diagnosed with diabetes type 2...i know people are tired of hearing me talk about that, but that was the day i truly became motivated to save my own life, change my life, and become healthy. i have replaced white with wheat/whole grain, low sugar or no sugar foods, lots of brown rice/black beans for added fiber, drinking nothing but water, i have an occasional caffeine free diet soda or v8 juice as a treat....i also log all i eat on mfp, encourage others, and in return receive encouragement....my life has changed drastically since that day....i also exercise 5-6 days a wk., normally 6 days. i like to do at least 60 min. of cardio a day, then on days i do weights i do cardio and weights. 24 lbs down and alot more to go
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    36.gif

WEDNESDAY, JULY 20TH -- DAY 65 -- GET YOUR HEART PUMPING

WEEK 10 CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
    We've got a week to go before the July 25th second 5 weeks weighin! WOW! Make sure you give it your all this week!!! Fill your MFP cups EVERY DAY! This will help shed those extra pounds and keep you from overeating!!!

Today's challenge brought to us by: :drinker: SLIM195

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    Today's challenge will be 2 part!
    1. Let‘s get the HEART pumping today with cardio exercises. Do one of the following for 10 minutes to get that blood pumping and flowing to your heart: Jog in Place, Jumping Jacks, Jump Rope, Knee Ups (alternate bringing your knees up and down to your chest), Step Ups (stepping up and down off a chair or weight bench). Now after doing this, you should have an energy boost, if you were feeling tired.

2. Eat one of the 5 Heart-Healthy foods today, that promotes a Healthy Heart.

Blueberries -- have them in your cereal, pancakes, waffles or a smoothie.

Salmon -- serve on a bagel with cream cheese, grilled with a salad, on bread (I love the 100 calorie Arnold’s sandwich thins)

Soy -- soy protein bar, Soy milk with your coffee/smoothie, Edamame (Japanese name for green soybeans)

Oatmeal -- have a bowl of oatmeal today topped with blueberries (2 Heart Healthy foods in one meal).

Spinach -- have spinach in your salad, spinach pizza, or just cook it and serve with your lunch or dinner.

MOTIVATIONAL SONGS OF THE DAY
    Sacha Baron Cohen -- I Like to Move it, Move it - Madagascar (song from the movie)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QoNkfOHBzQk

The Black Eyed Peas -- Pump it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaI2IlHwmgQ&feature=player_detailpage

Salt-N-Pepa -- Push it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU&feature=player_detailpage

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    What are some of the things you do to get your heart pumping? I start my workout by doing 15 minutes on the Stair Climber to get my heart rate up, then I go straight into my Strength training, followed-up with 30 or 45 minutes on the elliptical/bike/treadmill for the Cardio portion. I don’t about you BOBer’s but I feel AWESOME after my workout!!

STAY MOTIVATED: VISIT OUR WEBSITE www.wix.com/prplangl4/battleofthebulge

**WEEK 10 Posters**
    Fri July 22 cmhughes3
    Sat July 23 Hananiah
    Sun July 24 lclarkjr
  • MikeyKeith
    Options
    I've never actually tried oatmeal before, I'm gonna go grab some after work!!
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm salmon. I LOVE IT! To get my heart pumping all I have to do is hula hoop for 15 minutes and I'm dying. But I love it love it love it!! I really need a HRM. :(
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm thinking once I am moved and settled, I want to purchase a heart rate monitor. Anyone have recommendations????? Thanks!

I have a Polar FT7 and love it!

Pam
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am going to have oatmeal with blueberries and chia seeds. Later I am going to mow my front lawn and then go for a walk to the fabric store so that I can finish my quilt.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    MMM Oatmeal. I found Good food made simple's steel cut oats with berries in the freezer section the other day. Really easy and oh so tasty! Now I am getting hungry!

I will jump rope with my daughter today, to get my HR up. I need to clean house too, so I will do it with some fast paced music...
  • anu_g27
    anu_g27 Posts: 1
    Options
    i want to join this challenge:smile:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    welcom anu! Just read the instructions on the website and we'll see you on the board!
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    thursday-5.gif

THURSDAY JULY 21ST - DAY 66! - "Secret to my success"

WEEK 10 CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
    Fill your MFP cups EVERY DAY! This will help shed those extra pounds and keep you from overeating!!!

Today's challenge brought to us by: :drinker: BeachGurl815

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    Here are some tips that I have learned and found helpful in my weight loss journey. Some I learned through MFP.

1. Find an exercise routine that you actually enjoy. Keep trying different things until you find it and keep moving.
    2. Don’t give up or beat yourself up if you have a bad meal/day. Put it behind you, forget it and move forward. Tomorrow is a new day.
    3. Eat 100 calories of lean protein such as chicken will keep you satisfied longer than eating the same amount of calories in carbs like in pasta or bread.
    4. Eat your vegetables first, they will fill you up and you will eat less calories overall.
    5. Get your water. I know you hear it all the time but it really makes a big difference in curbing your appetite, flushing out the fat and toxins and just makes you feel so much better.
    6. Eat a filling healthy breakfast with at least 300 calories. It will keep you satisfied longer and prevent you from overeating or eating the wrong things later in the day.
    7. Plan ahead and log your meals ahead of time. Even if you don’t stick to your day’s plan, you can easily update your food log.

MOTIVATIONAL SONGS OF THE DAY
    1. Ray of Light Madonna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgxCJM_fqs
    2. Hella Good No Doubt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTj4cramPM
    3. Are You Gonna Go My Way Lenny Kravitz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhpHjmxNw8
    *we have people from Australia to Austria of all backgrounds, ages, and ethnicities so my songs will be varied each day to accommodate ;-)

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    Post a good tip that works for you and can help others.

STAY MOTIVATED: VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.wix.com/prplangl4/battleofthebulge
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    great post for thursday...and wednesday's too was good
    a tip i can share with everyone is believe in yourself and push when you think you cant go anymore....your body is able to go farther than you think it is....it is your mentality that holds you back.....
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One tip I have to go by is to pace yourself...and dont beat yourself up if things dont change overnight...think about how long it took you to get to where you are now..for me...my WHOLE life of 26 years...so I figure (and constantly tell myself) that its not going to change overnight but everyday if I make positive changes and work a little harder it will be worth it in the long run...and who cares if you have one...or two...or a week of slip up days...every morning just put it in your mind that today is going to be different and eventually it will all fall into place...you have to keep pushing if it is something you truly want noone can do it for you or want it as bad as you do...when trying new exercises if it feels like too much back off and try it at your own pace...this isn't a race =) I believe if you can stay positive and make small changes over time that you WILL see results =) and just think you may not be where you ultimately want to be but you are CLOSER than you were yesterday!!! <----love that quote!!!!

everyone is doing such a great job here! i am proud of all of you! =)=)=)
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!!! My food log is in the kitchen next to the refrigerator. I log everything as I take it out of the cupboard or fridge. Helps me keep track of my intake:smile:
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I have a Polar FT7 and love it!

Pam

I also have a Polar FT7 and it is awesome! I highly recommmend getting one.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My tip is just to set it down. If you pick up that bag of chips, set it down and walk away. The good smelling candy isle? Walk away and replace it with something else. It's all a mind game. Use your brain. You know, it controls your body. You tell it to stop, it'll stop. LOL!

*Does not compute! Error error!*