(POST 3) BATTLE OF THE BULGE - Summer Slimdown Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Louisiana has been a booger this summer!! I had to take numerous breaks while trying to push mow the front yard because I was just dripping in sweat and it was 8 am! I had been walking our pups a mile up the road and back, but by the end of it, I didn't know who was more worn out by the heat, me or my dogs! So, instead, I've been doing P90X which requires you to be inside unless you want to jump in a pool of your own sweat outside during Plyo (lol) and I've been running in place inside as well. I would love to go hit up the gym, but out college gym is $75 during the summer if you're not enrolled in 7 hours or more, soooo, I'm going to wait until August 22nd when school starts back and the gym becomes free to students.
  • journey2size10
    Options
    Since we are in the middle of Summer here in the northern hemisphere, how is everyone staying cool? Have you taken your workouts inside to beat the heat, or just taken to the pool instead? What are you doing to beat the heat waves and still get in your workouts?

Its hot as hades here in Texas...I go workout early in the morning before the heat rises and when I walk the dogs I wait until later in the day when the sun is going down. Other than that, workouts are inside, enjoying the cool a/c.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am working late today....but I walked on my breaks which added up to 45 minutes.....I am on my third bottle of water since 2pm...not too bad
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    6.gif

SATURDAY JULY 30 - DAY 75 - "Strength!"

Today's challenge brought to us by: :drinker: cmhughes3

WEEK 10 CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
    This week we are going to focus on physical activity! Challenges each day will be physical in nature.

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    Lift something heavy – or at least something heavier than you did yesterday. I’ve been reading so many things about strength training and would like to improve in this area. SO I’m challenging us all to take part in SOMETHING strength related and if you are already a strength training guru – share your story/ workout… and lift a little heavier today!

For example (keep in mind I’m new at this) – I bought a 40 lbs set of weights (4-7.5; 4-2.5); right now I have 15lb on each dumbbell 30% higher than what I’m used to lifting. For arms, I generally do 3 sets of 8-12 reps: 2 exercises for each: biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, chest… the only exercises I do for legs with my free weights are squats and lunges; sometimes dead lifts… I’d really like some other ideas for legs to incorporate my dumbbells!

Lifting heavier... could this be the reason the scale is stuck - but I look so much better?

MOTIVATIONAL SONGS OF THE DAY
    Stronger - Kanye West http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g&ob=av2e
    Jerk it Out - Caesars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an6A-Wu6-B4&ob=av3n
    The NEw Workout Plan – Kanye West http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua61XY84gGg

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    Do you do strength training? What kinds of things do you do and how often?

STAY MOTIVATED: VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.wix.com/prplangl4/battleofthebulge

Upcoming Posters:

Sat July 30 LacieLamp
    Sun July 31 HilarieXcore

WEEK 12
    Mon Aug 1 cherrieruns
    Tues Aug 2 BalletRose
    Wed Aug 3 moofer
    Thurs Aug 4 jessilea35
    Fri Aug 5 Irene8509
    Sat Aug 6 kathvg
    Sun Aug 7 tsmom1128
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i will be bench pressing 50 lbs tonight.....yeah, im pretty scared..hehe....the bar that i lift without extra weight on it is 45 lbs. my personal trainer wants me to up the weight to 50 so the obedient one that i am, i am going to try not to freak out too much...hehe.....there are times when i gain and then lose and gain and lose but i do think that gaining muscle has something to do with it....ive been doing weights long enough that it's time for me to start gaining some muscle weight....
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    using weights in my exercise routine...lower body/abs. It adds more resistance to the movement.
  • kacione
    kacione Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I do fitness workouts I use weights but that is mostly in the winter. I figure that working 5 days a week cleaning a school and moving all the furniture (including 4 drawer file cabinets)out of the classrooms and stacking in the hallways consists of enough weight lifting in the summer. Some of the desks are heavy when you have to stack them 3 or 4 high.

I did add weights when I went for my 5k walk today so hopefully that will count.
  • journey2size10
    Options

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    Do you do strength training? What kinds of things do you do and how often?

I have been doing strength training for some time now...I'm stronger than I ever thought I would be...an example is when I bench press (circuit style) my weight is 75#....my one rep max is 100#...
    My legs are different, they are big kuntry *kitten* legs so I can do leg presses with excess of 250#..

I'm no longer in the gym doing this, I've converted to crossfit, which implements both strength training and cardio at the same time, so now my weights are lighter...strength training is usually everyday working different body parts...I actually enjoy working out again, so I'm trying to limit myself to going in so much as I want to allow for recovery, thank goodness they are closed on sundays!! But once schoolyear starts I will do it 3-4 times a week and the other days, light cardio or 30DS
  • SLIM195
    SLIM195 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do strength training six days a week using the weight machines, weights vary from 40 lbs to 130 lbs, after the weights, I do some type of Cardio for 30 or 45 minutes.

Monday - Rest Day
    Tuesday - Upper body -- legs, calves, hamstrings, quads, lower back, glutes, abs
    Wednesday - Upper body -- arms, triceps, biceps, chest, shoulders, upper back
    Thursday - Lower body -- legs, calves, hamstrings, quads, lower back, glutes, abs
    Friday - Upper body -- arms, triceps, biceps, chest, shoulders, upper back
    Saturday - Lower body -- legs, calves, hamstrings, quads, lower back, glutes, abs
    Sunday - Upper body -- arms, triceps, biceps, chest, shoulders, upper back
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get a kettlebell and try it--supposedly it is a great full body workout. We shall see. :) Previously I have done 30 Day shred and p90x but need something quick and easy right now.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's been May since I've done any serious strength training because our campus gym is only free during fall and spring semester :( but I have 5 lbs and 10 lbs dumbells I use during my P90X workouts when weights are required.
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did a body bar class last week for the first time. It is like low impact aerobics with a weight bar, free weights and a step.
    I tried to avoid weights because I wanted to get closer to my goal weight first. I was afriad that if I was putting on muscle and not seeing the results on the scales then I would loose my motivation. But this class was great. I hated every moment there but felt so strong afterwards. I am going back on Wednesday.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I take a weight lifting class on Tuesday evenings. I have been taking it religiously all summer and I am seeing more definition especially in my arms and shoulders. My legs are looking better too but that may be due to all the spin classes I take. I try to also lift with my hubby but I am not as consistant with it due to his work shedule. We did work on biceps, triceps, back chest and shoulders this Saturday.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    :glasses: I am back to weight training 3 times a week again for the month of August.

It seems to help with circulation if you do 10 minutes of good cardio burn first,

and I like to do intervals where I get on the weight machines for 20 minutes

then back to cardio for 10! Waaaaaay too much FUN:wink:

Have a great week everyone! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    check out my blog to see my weight lifting programs that i am doing
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Need to tone and shape my body. After losing 30 pounds my mid-section still looks like Jell-O on steroids. So trying Jillian Michaels 30 day shred but moved to Jackie Wagner(?) Body sculpting. She really works the abs for me. Trying new DVD today called Tank-top arms, bikini belly, and boy short bottoms. But don't know how I'll like it; will have to let you know on that one.
  • journey2size10
    Options
    wow our thread is really dying out...hope everyone is still working it..we only have a few weeks left of this challenge!
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    wow our thread is really dying out...hope everyone is still working it..we only have a few weeks left of this challenge!

Ya Palollis, I guess everyone is busy, but I am still working it, in fact I took it up a notch & did an extra 45 mins a day workout. I find myself working out & thinking about my next workout. I like the results I am getting, so I keep going. Our challenge will soon be ending but I will have to keep going. It's getting better & better everyday. Hope you & all the BOBers are doing great.
  • ceh2468
    ceh2468 Posts: 9
    Options
    i want to join
  • kacione
    kacione Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hellooooo--- where is everyone.
    Come out, come out, wherever you are. Missing so many people and posts