I am NOT giving that up!

Options
cheeksv
cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
I have been wondering if there is anyone else out there not willing to give up a certain food or drink even tho they are dieting. I have given up a lot and changed habits but there are certain things that would make me miserable if I couldn't enjoy them. I think it is ok to have some things you can't part with as long as that one thing isn't keeping you from getting fit. I also think that as long as it is in moderation why not have it? So what is that thing for you?

Mine is easy Mexican food! I take off the cheese either get chicken or ground turkey( but sometimes get beef) and even tho there is rice and beans and everything else I cant help it! it is too good not to have once in a while !

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburgers. Sorry. It's not only and American staple, but also a Southern tradition in the summers. It's probably the main food that got me where I am today, lol, but it's all about moderation. Plus i'll work out extra if i know we're having burgers that night. Hasn't set me back at all.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    One of the things I was taught in my Diabetic classes: You don't have to give up anything. Just work it into your numbers so things aren't thrown out of whack. Make it healthier, if you can. (i.e. homemade where you can control the sodium, fat, etc.)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    red wine and klondike bars
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Having my coffee the way I like it.

ETA: Oh yeah, beer and wine too, but I thought that went without saying!
  • Fluffy1962
    Fluffy1962 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will not give anything up! I eat/drink it in moderation. I have learned from past tries that if I limit myself or restrict myself from certain foods I'm only setting myself up to fail... MODERATION is the key to life! just my opinion!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Half and half in a regular cup of coffee. There is no substitute for that and the 40 calories aren't going to make or break anyone's fitness plans.

On the rare occasions that I use butter, it's butter and always will be. I will never switch to some sort of fake butter.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want I just have smaller portions... I mean I used to go to mcdonalds and have like 4 burgers, fries, and a pop... now I have a ceaser salad with chicken or one burger... and fries if I can make them fit... If i could never have fast food again, I would fail... I love it too much! :)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer. I LOVE my morning java-it's something I look forwards to. I will cut calories elsewhere....
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up anything overall. It's just moderation. The two things I did eat more often were Cheetos and Nutty Bars. I rarely eat those anymore.

I still enjoy my favorite things though, such as Mexican food, Chinese, Indian Buffets, fancy homemade desserts.

For me, it's just moderation and working hard when you want to splurge :happy:
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    McDonalds Sugar Free Vanilla Iced coffee. Ok, I am not giving it up, but I am drinking it only a couple times a week versus everyday. 120 calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah! Deprivation has always been the root of failure in my previous dieting attempts. I also noticed that my friends/family that are more fit/leaner, don't worry so much about what they eat, they just don't eat as much and it totally makes sense. As long as you're not gorging yourself and/or burning some calories to make up for the occassional overindulgence, you can pretty much eat whatever you like.

Plus I've found that the more I get used to eating normal portions and healthier foods, the less my body can handle those overindulgences so I tend to avoid them now knowing the consequences. I splurged on an extra slice of a large loaded pizza a few weeks ago and really paid for it the next day - let's just say my digestive system was not happy!

P.S. In case you hadn't already figured it out, pizza is one thing I'm not giving up. Also chocolate (although I go with the high quality dark stuff now so it's more of a treat) and Chinese/Thai food.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, frozen yogurt and frozen custard...I dont have it often, but when I want it, I want it!
  • _angua_
    _angua_ Posts: 35
    Options
    My goal is to become healthier without giving up anything. I have to teach myself moderation and portion control. Life wouldn't be fun without chocolate cake with a glass of wine every now and again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. I like to eat healthy and do most of the time. Portion size and making time for exercise are my problems, but I'll gladly eat a little less and exercise a little more if I can still have my wine with dinner and fit into my favorite jeans.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Wine, life is just more enjoyable with wine :-)

That being said I went from a couple of glasses a day and more on weekends, to only having a few glasses everyother weekend and none at all during the week
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I won't give up anything, but I'm smarter about how much and how often I eat the higher calorie, less healthy options. I try to remind myself that chocolate is a treat, not a major food group.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not dieting. I'm eating healthier and exercising.

That said...
    I'll limit, but not give up (and choose healthier options of) my ice cream.
    I'll limit, but not give up, my cheese (and I refuse low-fat/no-fat versions... those aren't real cheese, in my opinion)
    I'll limit, but not give up, my sour cream (and I refuse low-fat/no-fat versions... those arent' real sour cream, in my opinion)
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    McDonalds Sugar Free Vanilla Iced coffee. Ok, I am not giving it up, but I am drinking it only a couple times a week versus everyday. 120 calories.

Just wanted to share....you can make your own for WAY less. I used this recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/, bought fat free half and half and sugar free vanilla syrup (Torani brand) from Wal-Mart. Just like McD's for a FRACTION of the price, and fewer calories and fat grams, too.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    wine.
    mexican food.
    anything really - it's called eat what you like in moderation!!

but wine will never be given up :D
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    pizza! I now make it myself, so i have more control over the size and what goes in it. I don't feel I gave anything up, I feel better about eating a *slightly* healthier version of it.