this article ticks me off

Options
124»

Replies

• ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It's not just too much food, though that is a great deal of the problem, it is the WRONG kinds of food. Fast food 5 days a week is going to make you fat even if you don't eat a lot of it, it's also going to wreck your body. Obesity is an epedimic in the western world for multiple reasons, you can't just claim one reason fits all.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here is an abstract to a twin study (there are many like this):
    Both monozygotic twins and dizygotic twins were raised in the same environment. However, monozygotic twins (as compared to dizygotic) have a much higher correlation with each other one the measures below (BMI, for one). A correlation of .77 is HIGH. It suggests that size (or appetite, or ability to self regulate) is largely genetically determined. Of COURSE we can alter our health through proper living and good eating and exercise practice, but I think it's been pretty well determined that there is a genetic basis for size. This does not depress me :) I just keep at it every day and control what I can, and I don't sweat what I can't.

A twin study of human obesity.
    Stunkard AJ, Foch TT, Hrubec Z.
    Abstract
    Height, weight, and body mass index (BMI) were assessed in a sample of 1974 monozygotic and 2097 dizygotic male twin pairs. Concordance rates for different degrees of overweight were twice as high for monozygotic twins as for dizygotic twins. Classic twin methods estimated a high heritability for height, weight, and BMI, both at age 20 years (.80, .78, and .77, respectively) and at a 25-year follow-up (.80, .81, and .84, respectively). Height, weight, and BMI were highly correlated across time, and a path analysis suggested that the major part of that covariation was genetic. These results are similar to those of other twin studies of these measures and suggest that human fatness is under substantial genetic control.
    HARD TRUTH HERE......most fat/obese people are that way because they made themselves that way! We do have to eat to live, but we do not have to eat everything in sight!

The addiction to food is totally quitable....is that even a word. You can totally kick the habit so to speak of eating out of control, which is what makes 99.9% of obese people obese. They eat too much. We in America as a whole eat too much and are gluttons and have no self control (not everyone, just in general). We are a nation of give me give me and take no responsibility for our own actions, even our own eating. People sue MCDonalds for making them fat......WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP. No one forced you to eat there. And people always say it is cheaper to eat crap then healthy food. THAT IS A CROCK OF CRAP TOO.

I am overweight because even though I was injured and couldn't run, I chose to eat poorly and not do what I could do in order to keep my weight down.

Sure when you get to the point that you weigh too much exercise is gonna suck, it is gonna hurt it is gonna be hard. Don't get there, and if you do, don't blame anyone but yourself. You choose what goes in your mouth and you chose how much exercise you get or don't get. If you sit on your butt all day and do nothing, you are gonna get fat, just that simple.

I love people, big or small, but I can not stand when people blame others or society, or their atmosphere, or their work environment or whatever else they chose to blame their lack of healthy food/exercise choices on. We need to grow up and be responsible for ourselves.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Another bit of food for thought: When you go out (grocery store, mall, etc.), how many people do you see that are what you would consider "thin" or at a healthy weight? Since I started losing weight, I started noticing how out of the norm that is, and I live in Miami, one of the most figure-conscious cities in the U.S. We still have an obesity problem, especially if you go out of the touristy areas.

We live in a society here in the U.S. (especially in places like the midwest and deep south) that has obesity as the "norm" that people see every day. It's "abnormal" and even looked down upon to be a healthy weight or even just overweright in some areas of the country. Not only is it a dietary/activity problem, but the way we see each other is very warped. I think a lot of people who live in areas with especially high obesity rates don't feel the pressure that they would feel if they moved to other areas where people are a healthy size, which further contributes to the downward spiral.

Is it the fault of the person who eats the food that they gain weight? Yes. I don't think people argue that, but reversing it is a whole nother battle, one that really needs to be waged on a much higher level by our goverment with regulations on nutritional labeling and education (just to begin with), society as a whole, and especially with parents. Most bad eating habits start at home with parents not cooking, not encouraging kids to be active outdoors with other kids, and bringing copious amounts of junk food into the home. My parents never taught me to eat well, and although I blame myself for my weight problem, I don't think I would've been nearly as bad had I known what healthy eating was like as a kid. I had to learn what healthy food was and how to choose it in adulthood, which was very difficult for me.

The other end of the stick is also a big problem. Not all people fit into that standard "healthy BMI" range either. Some frames are larger than others (not making an excuse, just a fact). We need to rethink what "healthy" means as a society.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So how do you explain the "twins reared apart" studies, where they take identical twins who have been adopted away at birth, and compare them years later to find that their body shapes are very similar EVEN WHEN RAISED BY DIFFERENT PARENTS?

Just curious. I agree that choices are immensely important, but we all know people who eat crappy and are thin no matter what. I can make good choices (and am doing so) and impact my weight, but the fact is, it's probably a little harder for me to do so, than your average Joe(leen).

We inherit risks (say, for diabetes) and then our choices affect how much these vulnerabilites impact us. In the case of childhood diabetes, I would be hard pressed to blame a child for this. Again, diabetes can be MANAGED with good choices, but a diabetic has to work harder than the average Joe to maintain good health.

Huh. I was adopted at birth. I was raised by naturally thin, tall people. Food and dieting was a constant power struggle between my Mum and I as I went through my teens. She simply didn't understand me. I didn't understand me. It was an obsession that went beyond reason. I became a fat adult. I reunited with my birthfamily in my 30s. Surprise! They're ALL significantly overweight. All of them. Explain that to me, will ya'? I could explain it to you, but I"m curious to see what your reply to that is.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

My point exactly. :)

Genes don't explain 100 percent of the picture for obesity but they explain a large part of it.

Both of my parents are overweight. I know that I have to work harder to stay healthy, but hey, that's life :) I'm glad we are different from each other. I happened to get really goood genes when it comes to other things.

Best,

Debbie
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do believe that refined carbohydrates are as addicitive as alcohol and cigarettes...

They combine with emotional instability to create serious cravings that are VERY difficult to fight off...

Its only once I realized this that I started to serious limit my intake of refiend carbs and cut myself some slack when I craved foods that I deemed to be bad...

Without that understanding, it very easy for someone who has dieted their whole lives to fall into the trap that since they've failed so may times, since they are to weak to walk away from the cravings... it places all the blame on them when really the break down of refined carbs and the messages it send to the crave centre of your brain is NOT something you control.

It was far easier for me to say no to these cravings once I understood them, but even then I had to rely heavily on good friends who listened to me cry and watched me struggle as I fought my addiction to carbs.

Its not as easy as just shut up and do it'.
    And this is coming from someone who finally has and is.
    And the message that either you shut-up and do it or you're just making excuses pushes those that haven't gotten there further into the cycle of 'I'm just to weak to do this... pass the pizza'

I totally agree with you. My biggest hurdle in weight loss has been carbohydrates. Call my disordered but I have actually taken to asking myself "if that piece of white bread/cookie/cake/whatever food item was a shot of vodka would I eat it right now?" Usually the answer is no. Today I had a bad day and I guess I went to work "drunk" just check out my food diary. But now that I understand that I truly have an addiction to some foods, it is becoming easier every day to keep that answer "no."
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The other thing that people are not thinking about is for the first time in American history, for the last few decades, the majority of Americans are not doing physical labor. No one in colonial times need a 30 day shred since they spent everyday hacking a living out of the wilderness. Like I said before, I'm not blaming anyone, but we never had to think about personal fitness like we do today because it wasn't so long ago that most Americans burned enough calories to stay thin in Coal Mines/Factories/Farms/ect.
  • blanblu
    blanblu Posts: 6
    Options
    The other thing that people are not thinking about is for the first time in American history, for the last few decades, the majority of Americans are not doing physical labor. No one in colonial times need a 30 day shred since they spent everyday hacking a living out of the wilderness. Like I said before, I'm not blaming anyone, but we never had to think about personal fitness like we do today because it wasn't so long ago that most Americans burned enough calories to stay thin in Coal Mines/Factories/Farms/ect.

exactly... like I said before, people didn't have the luxury (or disadvantage at this point) of a motor vehicle or even a bike to get to places, thus, walking everywhere "at least" burned _some_ calories... meanwhile, today, we still make the choice to drive for even just 1/4 mile... pathetic...
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options

exactly... like I said before, people didn't have the luxury (or disadvantage at this point) of a motor vehicle or even a bike to get to places, thus, walking everywhere "at least" burned _some_ calories... meanwhile, today, we still make the choice to drive for even just 1/4 mile... pathetic...
    :/
    I managed to get fat despite the fact I can't drive and until 2 years ago found public transport too intimidating. Had to walk everywhere. OMG how much did I EAT?!

But this whole concept got me thinking about some stuff actually. It wasn't long ago that you would generally as a household make your own bread, not with any fancy smansy breadmaker machine, but kneeding the dough by hand. I wonder if the badness of bread would be offset a lot if I had to make it myself. I have considered making a rule "you can have bread but you have to have made it yourself".
    Better yet if I use a hand mill to grind the flour too :P
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    HARD TRUTH HERE......most fat/obese people are that way because they made themselves that way! We do have to eat to live, but we do not have to eat everything in sight!

The addiction to food is totally quitable....is that even a word. You can totally kick the habit so to speak of eating out of control, which is what makes 99.9% of obese people obese. They eat too much. We in America as a whole eat too much and are gluttons and have no self control (not everyone, just in general). We are a nation of give me give me and take no responsibility for our own actions, even our own eating. People sue MCDonalds for making them fat......WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP. No one forced you to eat there. And people always say it is cheaper to eat crap then healthy food. THAT IS A CROCK OF CRAP TOO.

I am overweight because even though I was injured and couldn't run, I chose to eat poorly and not do what I could do in order to keep my weight down.

Sure when you get to the point that you weigh too much exercise is gonna suck, it is gonna hurt it is gonna be hard. Don't get there, and if you do, don't blame anyone but yourself. You choose what goes in your mouth and you chose how much exercise you get or don't get. If you sit on your butt all day and do nothing, you are gonna get fat, just that simple.

I love people, big or small, but I can not stand when people blame others or society, or their atmosphere, or their work environment or whatever else they chose to blame their lack of healthy food/exercise choices on. We need to grow up and be responsible for ourselves.

Well said. I agree 100%
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Disadvantage? Really? I'll take a car and not having to till my land everyday, while watching what I eat and exercising. You guys can work in a coal mine or jog to work everyday and eat what you want. Whether it be unhealthy food in abundance, advertising and quick meals, or the majority of the country not working in physical labor, it's an excuse.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I honestly kind of agree with the OP. We don't want to say anything because it might offend someone, but really, I can see parallels between obesity and smoking and how the affect other people.

Say I'm riding on the bus, or a plane or what have you. An obese person takes up 2 seats, and I am without a seat as a result of it. Say I have a good reason for wanting to sit, medical issue, whatever. I am being negatively impacted by someone else's obesity.

Say I don't smoke, but I want to go to a bar with friends. The bar is not non-smoking. My right not to smoke is being inhibited by another's right TO smoke.

It's a catch 22, yes. Nobody is going to be happy. But I think addressing it is better than sweeping it under the carpet to avoid offending someone. It is so frustrating to hear "we don't know WHY" every time an obesity issue comes up, especially with kids and school lunches. We do know WHY, we just don't want to do what is necessary to FIX it.

I agree that there ARE instances where overeating was NOT the cause of weight gain, as I am one of those exceptions, BUT, a lot of the instances ARE because of overeating, or not being taught healthy eating habits. You can blame anyone for that, but it all comes down to taking responsibility for it, and working to change it. Something that the world as a whole has a hard time accepting.

To everyone who has admitted that their overeating and lack of exercise contributed to their weight gain: KUDOS! You have taken a step most people refuse to take and accepted responsibility! You ROCK.

(My over all use of the terms "I" and "We" is a generalization. It does not mean the people on this board specifically)
  • blanblu
    Options
    :/
    I managed to get fat despite the fact I can't drive and until 2 years ago found public transport too intimidating. Had to walk everywhere. OMG how much did I EAT?!

I don't know... you tell me... how much did you eat and what did you eat... and aside from walking, what other forms of exercise did you engage in? I said _some_ calories... probably enough to keep people thinner during a time where far less junk food was available... therefore, the "environment" at the time was even more so a ridiculous abstract entity to blame...
  • blanblu
    Options

Disadvantage? Really? I'll take a car and not having to till my land everyday, while watching what I eat and exercising. You guys can work in a coal mine or jog to work everyday and eat what you want. Whether it be unhealthy food in abundance, advertising and quick meals, or the majority of the country not working in physical labor, it's an excuse.

not sure I follow... I thought my point was clear in that most people would rather drive 1/4 mile to Dairy Queen or 7/11 instead of a healthy walk... that's blatant laziness to the extreme...
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if I came across correctly. The only point that I was trying to make is that until recent history, exercise wasn't as necessary as it is in today's society because most of our work places have become so sedentary. I sure as hell don't want to work in a coal mine, I was just making the observation.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

I think you are missing the point of the posters post. He was simply saying that there was no need for work out dvds and gyms and stuff like that because we all had to do physical labor from sun up to sun down, we don't necessarily have to do that. Call it a disadvantage or a luxury. I don't think they were saying that we all should go back to working in mines. lol
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Fair enough! My mistake.