What Is/Was Your College Major?

Options
What is/was your college major?

If you have graduated, do you find your major useful or do you wish you got it in something else?

What do you guys think is the best college major to get a job out of college?

I'm deciding between (gonna probably do 1 major, 1-2 minors): economics, health care management, business management, anthropology, finance, and political science.

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Psychology- wish it was communications
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I went to school to be a teacher, needless to say I am still having a hard time finding a full time job. My cousin went to school for HR and she got a job less than 6 months out of college.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    My Bachelor of Science is in Geology. I'm working on a Masters for Civil Engineering right now.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    BSc in Archaeology. I haven't used it at all - I went on to study Opera, and worked as a singer and part time PA, but I am going back to Uni in a few months and returning to Archaeology, after 12 years out of it!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I majored in Radio/Television broadcasting and actually utilized it for 11 years as a radio talk show host. But, I'm out of that now and mostly involved in sales. I've found that my training in broadcasting has helped me with providing a comfort level in my sales activities.

As far as majors now are concerned, I really think you can't go wrong with a healthcare related major. Ultimately, unless you major in a very specialized field, your career success will depend on your work ethic. I know plenty of people that never went to college that are extremely successful just because they worked hard and stayed focused.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am a international studies and public relations double major with a certificate in Asian studies. I have been told many times that it does not matter what degree you get as long as you decide what experience you have before graduating. I have one year left but many ppl that i know have degrees and don't use them.

I do have to say that health care management is really big right now. try for that with a business minor. remember to always build up your resume with volunteering and internships.
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    Business... I work for a native american indian tribe, doing the legal contracts and I handle all the projects that are to be built too, deal with all of the building contractors and thier paperwork, so I suppose I stayed fairly close to my major, lol.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have a Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Languages and Literatures with a Concentration in French.

I live in Mobile, AL - nobody speaks French here. So - I bet you can guess - I don't use it.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Journalism and Mass Communications

Oddly enough, I work as an insurance agent.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    BA in Animal Science. now I'm a makeup artist. go figure.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Majored in Geology, minored in Biology & secondary education. Later tested out of Chemistry. Use them everyday. Management in healthcare is a good choice, that field is healthy and growing! Good luck!!

The other field that is hiring like crazy is engineering of all sorts.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    BS in Business Administration: Accounting

Planning to finish my CPA exam this year and possibly get my masters in Business Admin or Tax.

My major has been TOTALLY useful! I've had work since my last year in college (did several financial internships, where one led to a F/T position.) I've switched employers 3 times now with no problem... always looking for more money. I also decided last fall I wanted to move out of state and with my experience, I landed a dozen interviews and received offers from all but one. My major and the experience I gained allowed me to have my pick of the litter as to where I wanted to work and how much I wanted to make.

But it's not for everyone. What I learned in school doesn't hold a candle to what I learned in the field.

GOOD LUCK
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my 2-year and 4-year degrees as a Vet Tech. I was double majoring English/Journalism but my Journalism degree got dropped at my college so I was stuck with an English degree with no passion to teach (I love to read and write, so that was really my main reason for majoring in that) so I rethought everything and turned to what I should have majored in to begin with. So I'll finish college in 6 years instead of 4, but I'll have 3 degrees since I only have 15 credits left to finish English.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Political Science/International Relations with a concentration in Russian Studies, currently pursuing a MA in Criminology.

If I could do undergrad again, I'd do criminal justice.
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you like math, go to school to be an Actuary. Best-paid job that requires only a Bachelors degree. Engineers also get paid well with just a B.S. and have good job prospects. Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics for info on the jobs with the best career outlooks, and then decide on a major based on what you'll be likely to get a job in.

Oh, I majored in Biology. I work in research so yeah, I needed the degree, but I'm trying to get into Optometry school for next year.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have my bachelor's in music education. It was very useful when a was a teacher, now, not so much, lol, but I certainly don't regret having a college education and should I choose to ever go back to school, it's a lot easier with my undergrad out of the way.

A business or law degree are the most practical degrees, imo, but I also believe it's not always about practicality. Good luck with your education! :)
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Major: BIology
    Minor: Chemistry
    Earned a BS
    Went to med school, now I'm a psychiatrist.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BScN), I am a nurse, but good jobs are hard to come by, it's gratifying but very hard work, working conditions are not the greatest.

Katie
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i majored in Psychology...but quit..i was young and stupid...

so my advice is what ever you do GET a degree BEFORE you have kids!!!!!!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    BS in Mechanical Engineering. Use it everyday!