What Is/Was Your College Major?

Options

Replies

• iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hands down...Nursing. There is a shortage for the next ten years and counting.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just got my bacholers in Accounting.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    B.S. in Accounting, age 36; Masters in Accounting, age 53; Passed my last CPA exam last October and received my Congratulatory Letter on October 1, 201 at the tender age of 56.

I really admire some of those degrees, especially in Music, Archeology, and Geology.

I really enjoy accounting because I like working in a team environment and I find it personally rewarding helping companies perform better.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    MY MAJOR WAS HEALTH INFORMATION/ MEDICAL MGT. I USE IT EVERYDAY! I WORK FOR ONE OF THE BEST PRACTICES IN THE 7 CITIES!!! LOOOOOOVE MY JOB! :heart:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Computer Information Systems/Management Information Systems - I loved my studies, but most of it does me no good in my job. The degree, however, did help get me my dream job, so it was totally worth it.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Never went. :] Signed up twice for theater education and never took a class.
    Went to cosmetology school, mainly because it was fast, got kicked out about 1/2-3/4ths the way through.
    Now I want to open a bakery.
  • FunSizedK
    FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I working on getting my BS in Business Management!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Me too! Happy I did it, but I wasn't passionate about it. I love health and fitness, and am thrilled to have changed careers!
  • angiek2322
    angiek2322 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    B.S. Elementary Education
    Indiana University

Currently I'm a 6th grade Math/Science teacher.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    What is/was your college major?

If you have graduated, do you find your major useful or do you wish you got it in something else?

What do you guys think is the best college major to get a job out of college?

I'm deciding between (gonna probably do 1 major, 1-2 minors): economics, health care management, business management, anthropology, finance, and political science.

I have a B.A. in political science and I minored in Spanish and English. Also, I'm writing my thesis for an M.A. in public policy. I find my major useful because it's taught me how to research and analyze very well. However if I could go back and re-do it, I would not major in political science. I wouldn't advise anybody to get a B.A. in political science unless they know exactly what they want to do with the degree.

The majority of reports list engineering, computer science, computer engineering, nursing, and business as the most needed college graduates.

Which of those topics interest you the most? If I had to pick for you, I would say to major in business and minor in finance and health care management. That would make you look very desirable to large market of potential employers.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I graduated December '10 with a Bachelors in Elementary Education and I'll be graduating this December with a Master's in Special Education. Obviously, I'm a full time student and do not have a job yet. I read a lot of people saying they left the education field because of the job market - I do understand it's an issue. But I don't know anyone that has left my program without getting a full-time position within 6 months. Even the people that didn't go on to the Master's program all have jobs now. :smile:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My major in college was ocean engineering. Now I do more environmental/civil engineering.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I knew in 7th grade what I wanted to do for a living. I know that's pretty rare though.

I majored in speech pathology and audiology with a minor in gerontology and psychology for my B.S. Then majored in speech pathology for my M.A. It is a very very specific field so that is why I never had a problem finding a job.. I get emails and phone calls DAILY with job offers! I think the more specific you go, the better off you'll be (in my opinion.)

I also vote that with a health care degree, you can't go wrong! =) best of luck
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am a certified medical biller and coder, but there are no jobs for that around here and since I don't have the option of moving I am going to Cosmetology school starting in July. I also am 3/4 of the way into an Early Childhood education associates degree, but then I lost my financial aid so I never got to finish it. After I get my cosmetology license and a job I am going to go finish that degree with an emphasis in special needs and also get a bachelors in special education and I hope to someday become an advocate for people with special needs. I am qualified enough because my son is autistic and have done plenty of advocating for him in his 7 years of life.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    BS in Mass Communications-Public Relations, minor in Marketing

I'm in global partner marketing now, so I guess it worked.

I"m going back in August to get my MBA in Marketing
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Started with Chemical Engineering then switched my senior year to Chemistry (with minors in History, Math, Economics). I work at a pharmaceutical company now. Was in the lab for 5 years, then they recognized my ability with computers (note that nowhere in my education does it list that), and now I run all of the lab computers. So a bit of a mix. I use my degree, but in a much more "remote" sense than I pictured.

My advice to you is to major in something that interests you, regardless of difficulty. You may use your degree in your career, or you may not - but the most important thing is that you love what you study and what you do.
  • truenorth4
    Options
    I went to a service academy and my college major was Biology but my first job was an officer in the USAF so I didn't use my major at all. I ended up gaining tons of leadership and management experience during my service time that helped me transition into civilian life 7 years later when I went into Technology Program Management in the Silicon Valley.

I have since leveraged my Biology degree and my management and leadership experience, earned a Registered Nurse license and went into nursing. I am currently working in a nursing management role and am actively pursuing my Nurse Practitioner education.

In the past getting jobs out of school in healthcare wasn't too difficult. Today, it's different. You may be able to find work, it's just that the first gig may not be your first choice of jobs. You may have to "settle", but I think that's the case for most coming out of school these days.

As an undergrad, take advantage of every opportunity to volunteer, intern, or shadow anyone who's willing to let you in the door and teach you about the career field your intend to pursue. Paid or not, that's priceless experience that you can leverage for future jobs or actually show you that you may hate the career path you've set for yourself.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    BS in Architecture and BS of Science in Environmental Design
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    My major is Art History. Its a really interesting education, but beyond that you can't do much with it unless you plan on going to grad school.

I just graduated in May and have been looking for a job since March...so over 3 months with no luck. I've been doing web sites and graphic design since I was in high school and have had 2 yrs experience at my job so I've decided to go that route with my career. Needless to say, it is very competitive (as is every field), but now I wish I would've gotten maybe a Computer Science or Graphic Design degree. Computer Science majors are in demand. I'm always finding openings for programmers or technicians. Plus, they make good money even at entry-level positions. Graphic Design makes decent money, but not quite as much...

These days, I would tell students to research job demands and what's hot...whats needed..instead of just picking a major without even considering how useful it will be in the future.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BA - Communications (emphasis Public Relations)
    Minors in Marketing & Poli Sci

Got a great internship doing corporate communications during my senior year of college, which led to full-time for about 3 years.

Got axed in 2009 (last hired, first fired, anyone?); spent 7 months renovating my mother's house with the assistance of Google.

Now do marketing for a beer distributor, which is way more fun than what I was doing before.