What Is/Was Your College Major?

Options

Replies

• shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I majored in Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design and minored in Theater. It worked out because now I work for one of the largest toy companies in the world sewing up samples that end up on packaging and other prototypes they need. I LOVE IT :) And I didn't even have to move out of state! Good luck finding your major :) Any degree will help you in life
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I plan to be a nurse practitioner mid-wife someday. . . for now I'm working on my BANursing
  • MrsMills712
    MrsMills712 Posts: 350
    Options
    I have a BS in Computer Graphics. So far, it's proved to be B.S. in a different way.
    I would have gone a different route.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I majored in Electrical Engineering for 2.5 years, then changed majors to Art w/a concentration in Graphic Design. I have worked as a Web Designer ever since. :)

I feel my Art major combined with my engineering background, gave me a leg up on most other Web Designers. In my field we have designers (artists) and coders (engineers)... I do both!!! Score!
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm majoring in International Studies with concentrations in Latin America and Human Rights & Social Movements. I'm also minoring in Spanish and Portuguese. Don't ask me what I'm gonna do with it though, I have no answer to that question haha
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    BS in Health and Physical Education. I got a job before I even graduted. First three years I had no issue with getting jobs. However, the economy has hit education hard and I have currently been out of work for the last year.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    What is/was your college major?

If you have graduated, do you find your major useful or do you wish you got it in something else?

What do you guys think is the best college major to get a job out of college?

I'm deciding between (gonna probably do 1 major, 1-2 minors): economics, health care management, business management, anthropology, finance, and political science.

Business management or finance, especially if you get your MBA. That's just my personal opinion. It all depends on what career path you would like to take.

I have a BA in International Studies, a BA in Spanish, and I minored in Italian. I currently work in finance (obviously not what I studied) - it's a useful experience and I'm learning a lot. I'm considering going to law school to study international law and immigration law.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started as a music education major and quickly realized the job field was bad so I dropped out of college and went back years later to get an Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting. I've actually not had an opportunity to work in my field because I got pregnant again last year (Surprise!) but feel I'll do just fine when I do go work in the field. Aside from the fact that I live in Nashville-- the "medical capital of the US"--I also have 8 years experience in health insurance so I'm hoping to work in an office somewhere rather than the clinical side. I see tons of jobs posted so the field is strong here.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have my BS in Biology, with a minor in Journalism.
    (Was enroute to medical school, but found out I was pregnant 2 months before I was scheduled to begin so I changed paths)

Got a dual Masters of Science in Speech Pathology and Audiology, and a Doctorate in Audiology.....

And for 4 years now I work as a speech teacher for the NYC Dept of Education.
    Go figure!
  • lparsons88
    lparsons88 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm graduating in december with my Biomedical Science degree with minors in chemistry and philosophy. I hope to find a research position when i'm done graduating than go on to PA school.

If you like helping people I'd go into healthcare. There are ALWAYS jobs in healthcare!!

GOOD LUCK!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Poli Sci
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Im an English major with a Spanish minor.

I really want to go into editing or publishing, anything to do with helping with writing!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I graduated with a Small Business Management major, but have since obtained an accounting designation.

As for what I would suggest. I would suggest a Finance or Economics major (depending on what you want to do, I may recommend something total different). It I could do it all over again I would choose Economics.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you like math, go to school to be an Actuary. Best-paid job that requires only a Bachelors degree. Engineers also get paid well with just a B.S. and have good job prospects. Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics for info on the jobs with the best career outlooks, and then decide on a major based on what you'll be likely to get a job in.

Oh, I majored in Biology. I work in research so yeah, I needed the degree, but I'm trying to get into Optometry school for next year.

It may only require a Bachelors degree, but there is 7 years + of further qualifying and exams afterwards that even really bright mathematicians struggle with. My school friend finally qualified at 31, having gone into it straight from uni at 22.

This was me!!! I went to school to be an actuary (major in econ and minor in math, both with emphasis on statistical analysis) and then I decided I couldn't stand sitting still that long behind a computer. I am now a regulatory compliance auditor for a medical device company. I do not use my education for anything other than understanding statistical techniques. I am happy that I have my degree because it helps me stand out from business majors, but as some previous people say, experience is the key.
  • empresskeda
    empresskeda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Health Information Technology is my major right now and currently I am a Registered Medical Assistant in a private practice.
  • ilovecreg120809
    ilovecreg120809 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    well i'm going to a technical school but its for medical assisting :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    majoring in International business

minoring in both Economics and Japanese

Not sure what I will do with my degree, but I'm enjoying it. I studied abroad for 6 months in high school, am studying abroad 1 year next year, and am planning on studying abroad another 6 months or 1 year after that. I'm sure that will help shape my decisions.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I took a long break to have my babies. :smile: Starting back in Spet. (sent out my app yesterday! :noway: ) to continue working on getting (eventually) a MS in Health Science (R.D).:laugh: My oldest and I may graduate at the same time lol!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    BFA in Traditional 2D Animation. Working on my MFA for 3D Animation!
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I recieved a Bachelors of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies

Big name for a degree to be an English educator (4-8)

My majors were English and education

Can't find a job...kinda regretting not getting a degree in business or something medical now..