Good-bye MyFitnessPal

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, whats up with all these negitive comments, your P***sing me OFF!! :explode:

YOU are the real losers, not Rebel. Very immature!! I know its not my place, but can not stand when hes being put down like this!!

Negativity breeds negativity. If you have a negative attitude then generally people will be negative back.....it's a fact of life. It annoys me and a lot of people who work hard and try hard and try to have a positive attitude.......if the poster wanted motivation and support and inspiration then he could ask and it would come flooding in by the bucket load.......oh and for the record all of us who have worked hard and lost weight and got fit and healthy we are not losers (at least not in the sense you intended ;)) we are just people who made a choice....the right one :)

I agree with this. You can't think posting something like "I just got started and now I'm going to quit" isn't going to result in some kind of negative backlash here.
  • HalloweenNinja
    Options
    Okay guys, whats up with all these negitive comments, your P***sing me OFF!! :explode:

YOU are the real losers, not Rebel. Very immature!! I know its not my place, but can not stand when hes being put down like this!!

Negativity breeds negativity. If you have a negative attitude then generally people will be negative back.....it's a fact of life. It annoys me and a lot of people who work hard and try hard and try to have a positive attitude.......if the poster wanted motivation and support and inspiration then he could ask and it would come flooding in by the bucket load.......oh and for the record all of us who have worked hard and lost weight and got fit and healthy we are not losers (at least not in the sense you intended ;)) we are just people who made a choice....the right one :)

I agree with this. You can't think posting something like "I just got started and now I'm going to quit" isn't going to result in some kind of negative backlash here.

Completely agree.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You have made a good start. However, I can say that I looked at your diary, and in all honesty you are probably not losing the weight you want because of poor food choices. Looking over several days of your diary, I see:

1) You are not drinking nearly enough water.
    2) You are not eating vegetables.
    3) Your diet is extremely carb heavy.

If you up your protein, cut your carbs a bit, increase leafy green vegetables and fruits, and double your usual water intake, you should see some good results fairly quickly.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I am now at the weight some women my height start their journey at. (I"m proud to be here and they felt "fat" at this weight and it was their "rock bottom")

I run across this frequently here--women who started out twenty pounds lighter than I am NOW who describe their starting point as "disgusting" or "the most awful I ever was." It's hard, and it certainly knocks me back down when I've been feeling proud or as if I've really accomplished something.

Not knocking those who are proud that they've lost--far from it. But it is discouraging to read that where I am now is "disgusting" and "ewww, gross!"

Kris
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    VERY interesting thread!
    I do see both sides of this story. I got up over 270 perhaps over 280, but would never weigh at my peak weights because I did not want to see the number. I went to my doctor because I felt like crap, always tired and getting rid of the weight seemed harder and harder. My doctor is a pretty open and honest guy, and a fitness guy in addition. I begged him for something that would help me, but he said that he "could" tell me to follow diet X and it might help short term, but to get healthy I needed to find something that would work for me as a lifestyle change, and I needed to get my butt moving. I HATED what he was saying, but I know its true and it is why 95% of "diets" fail in the long term.. we simply cant live on a cabbage diet, etc. forever. I joined MFP with my wife, and started weighing myself at about 265. I remember the terrible feeling I had when I was fitted for my wedding tux and those size 49 pants fit so nicely. I remember wearing each pair of pants as long as I could before admitting defeat and getting the next size. Doing MFP with my wife has be a huge blessing for us. we are both learning more and more about nutrition and experimenting to see what food work for us and what does not. I saw the post from your wife and I thought that the support and love she shows is beautiful. I know that my wife and I both hit plateaus, we both have short periods where the number on the scale does not make sense. What works for us is to listen to our spouse, let them vent, and have a small pity-party, but to remind them that what we are doing works, and that if we following the same fundamentals that it will continue to work. Every time my wife and I go through those battles, we feel better either the same day or by the next morning. Heck, I had really salty popcorn last night at the movies and I have a good hunch that weighing myself today will not make me happy but I have to realize its a response to WAY more salt than i am used to. what works for us? my wife and I stopped skipping meals, and try to eat a balance of good (lean) protein and veggies at each meal. I am the cook in the house, and try to prepare healthy food that actually tastes pretty good. It has been a challenge to not cook like I have all of my life, but its worth it. I am trying to adapt some of my favorites (I am 1/2 italian, from New Orleans.. and either cook creole or Italian dishes most of the time).
    On the other side of the story is the Anger from other MFP users. I think i understand that also. Basically when a member of a team leaves, or puts in less than we are putting in, Anger and a sense of betrayal is common. I think that we are all here because of a common problem and all of us are working hard toward the same goals of achieving a healthy body (and mind). Seeing someone quit, can remind us that we all have limits and have all fought through our own struggles. I think that "former fat person" is the same response to a recovering alcoholic or a ex-smoker, in that they can be the harshest critics of the same behaviors that they had for years.. None of us got fat because we had a perfect blend of intake and exercise, and if you have never been fat and joined MFP to find personal training clients.. well lets just say that I am willing to bet money that you have other areas of your life where you do face challenges.. after all, you are only human. Nobody wants to hear that their baby is ugly, we do not want to hear that anyone is having trouble keeping on track or getting to a stumbling point. I cant speak for the group, but I admit that I am an imperfect person and that I struggle with my weight. I went from a couch potato (with extra butter, sour cream and bacon.. lovely bacon) to working out 4 days a week at a pretty high intensity level. My body was shocked.. lol. I hit a plateau for about 3 weeks, where I did not loose a pound and actually gained some weight. I KNEW i was doing the right things, so I just made sure i was accurately recording everything i ate (thanks to a nutrition scale from Target) and once my body got a little used to working out and the new stresses i was putting it through.. the weight started to drop once again.

to summarize, I know that several of us support the OP and know exactly the battle he is fighting.. and we are here for you.
    I also know that several people were angered by your post, but I think it has less to do with a man admitting his personal struggle with weight, and more to do with their own battles. Extreme emotion toward a stranger is not really rational, and usually falls under the category of "there is something about that guy that I really dont like about myself"

Mike
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am now at the weight some women my height start their journey at. (I"m proud to be here and they felt "fat" at this weight and it was their "rock bottom")

I run across this frequently here--women who started out twenty pounds lighter than I am NOW who describe their starting point as "disgusting" or "the most awful I ever was." It's hard, and it certainly knocks me back down when I've been feeling proud or as if I've really accomplished something.

Not knocking those who are proud that they've lost--far from it. But it is discouraging to read that where I am now is "disgusting" and "ewww, gross!"

Kris

I used to be bothered by this when I was younger, but just remember that it's all relative! Someone who is used to being 100lbs would feel the same at 120 ("gross" and uncomfortable) as someone who is used to being 150 and goes up to 170. I don't use anyone else's frame of reference as a judgement on myself. They're not looking at you; they're looking at themselves.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    to summarize, I know that several of us support the OP and know exactly the battle he is fighting.. and we are here for you.
    I also know that several people were angered by your post, but I think it has less to do with a man admitting his personal struggle with weight, and more to do with their own battles. Extreme emotion toward a stranger is not really rational, and usually falls under the category of "there is something about that guy that I really dont like about myself"

Mike

Well said.
    I love this place!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds as if you are not quite ready to lose the weight yet, and that's okay. We each get there in our own time.

I tried several programs when I just kind of wanted to lose the weight, but wasn't committed to it, and I always failed. Here's a list that really motivated me in the beginning, from Linda Spangle's book "100 Days to Weight Loss":

Interested vs. Committed

People who are interested in losing weight:

1. Stick with in until something better comes along
    2. Take action only if they "feel like" doing it
    3. Need to see results in order to stay motivated
    4. Blame people or circumstances for their struggles
    5. Easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed to losing weight:

1. Stick with their plans no matter what
    2. Take action whether they feel like doing it or not
    3. Assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow
    4. Take responsibility for their own actions
    5. Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks

P.S. I'm sorry if this was already shared, but I couldn't read through 10 pages of responses! Good luck to you, and when you're committed to losing the weight, YOU WILL DO IT. :-)
  • HalloweenNinja
    Options
    (Note: this is a direct response to mike_littlerock's post above)
    I also know that several people were angered by your post, but I think it has less to do with a man admitting his personal struggle with weight, and more to do with their own battles.
    Hmm... yes and no. This may sound harsher than is intended - because I'm not exactly great with words - but I believe the disagreement is less to do with a feeling of betrayal towards the group cause and more along the lines of"why should we care if you quit?"

Many people have said "you won't be missed" in response to the original post, a statement that is, while blunt, both true and perfectly logical, even if we don't want it to be. Nearly everyone of us are complete strangers to one another; you don't know me, I don't know you and neither of us are going to be missed by the other if either of us quit. The argument began when one group felt that this attitude and response was not at all to the original poster's benefit, while the other group felt that they had absolutely no need to give anything (sympathy, encouragement, etc.) to someone who had already stated that they had given up and had absolutely nothing to offer anyone else. Even if the original poster had simply reworded their message to being "I give up, but I wish you guys all the best," the response would probably have been very different.
    It has been a challenge to not cook like I have all of my life, but its worth it.
    Your sentence there is entirely my point: "it has been a challenge... but its worth it." Compare this to the closing sentence of the original post: "I am now completely done with dieting it is no use anymore to me I am just going to stay fat."
    Which one do you think is more "deserving" (for lack of a better word) of our empathy and support?
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Kris

I used to be bothered by this when I was younger, but just remember that it's all relative! Someone who is used to being 100lbs would feel the same at 120 ("gross" and uncomfortable) as someone who is used to being 150 and goes up to 170. I don't use anyone else's frame of reference as a judgement on myself. They're not looking at you; they're looking at themselves.

i understand that it's about self perception and all that, but i was always taught not to talk negatively about what i have because there are always people worse off than me. my parents were very "there's starving children who would be grateful for the food on your plate" kind of parents, and i guess that just stuck with me.

i don't think it's right to complain about how bad you have it when there are ALWAYS people who are in a worse situation than you. it's just how i was raised and what i believe. honestly, i think it's rude and self centered. (excuse the harsh words, but it's the easiest way for me to describe it) it doesn't mean that i don't like you, or i need to start a fight, i just don't agree with that way of talking. i have a lot of friends who were at healthy weights and complained about feeling fat in front of me when i was close to 300 lbs. it happened to me my whole life, so i just got used to it and didn't pay attention. i still think it's wrong to talk like that, and that you should think about what you're saying before you say it.

i wouldn't take it so far as to say you can't vent about anything and share your feelings and opinions, just be mindful of other people's feelings and opinions as well =)
  • Gagsy
    Gagsy Posts: 11
    Options
    Man if we could all lose the amount we wanted in 10 days then life would just be rosie peach wouldn't it?

Fact is that attempting to lose weight sucks. Eating healthy stuff that doesn't generally taste as good and putting our body under strain with exercise isn't a walk in the park. Well you could have a walk in the park but there are better forms of exercises =P

If you quit just because a site thats goal is to just aid you doesn't give you what you think it should be (aka a miracle) then well I hope you enjoy being overweight. You obviously don't or else you wouldn't have joined here and tried to lose weight in the first place.

So yeah, hope you can live with your weight if you're not willing to work to change it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I know that you are upset over the weight gain, I see it in your face when you step off the scale (I'm his wife BTW).

You may not be losing the pounds but you are loosing inches. I notice a difference when you take your shirt off and when you asked me for a belt this weekend! Plus I think you have a sensitive metabolism, we don't eat out normally and we did 2 days this three day weekend.

Don't listen to the people putting your down, maybe they are the ones seeking the motivation. I can't make you do anything, but I notice changes in you and so do our families. I will still be cooking light so you can still eat healthy and I hope you still go for runs with F and I. I love you!

Boy! I hope he knows how lucky he is to have someone who is as inspirational as you. Does he know how many people are on here because they have no one else. To have someone to walk this journey with is priceless.
  • comforter
    comforter Posts: 39
    Options
    I have heard it said, don't stop 10 minutes short of a miracle...you can do this thing.....

The site can tell you how many calories you should be eating to lose however much weight you want to lose a week. I have found that it is as important not to eat UNDER my calories as much as it is not to eat OVER the number of calories for the day. The body's starvation mode is a very legitimate thing....Praying that you will find the courage and strength to start again and continue on - you have a lot of people here rooting for you! Phyllis
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    OP:
    I just snuck a peek at your profile to see if you were still around and I also took a gander at your food diary.
    I'm glad you didn't quit!

Our minds can tell us all kinds of lies about what we can and cannot do and some days are harder than others.
    BUT
    some days are flippin' fantastic too and provide motivation for the rest.

Hang in there!!!
    Don't give up. Ever.

You WILL make it.
    We all will if we just stick with it even when we feel like we can't.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kariannk
    kariannk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So you quit after a week? You're just looking for an excuse to stay fat. Period. We've all had ups and downs here, but stuck with it. In all likelihood, you are dehydrated and your body is storing water to make up for it. Working like that CAN cause weight gain, and to run away so quickly is just cowardly....

AMEN!!

it's not cowardly, it's hard, people get scared, and are afraid of failure and when you are trying and see results that you think are wrong it sucks and instead of being mean you should encourage following through, and it's not ok to call names. being 200, 300, 400 lbs or what ever it's hard to move every day when you have been sitting for years. it's hard to eat healthy when all you eat is junk for years. this person that you decide to call a cowardly may not be ready to do this now. and you know what that is ok. we are and should be here for support and advice not ridicule and belittling. and the people who think that this is the way to motivate people shouldn't be on this site. it is sad to see so many post to this original comment that are rude and disrespectful. and it should hurt more then just my feelings that people are writing this way to this person. now here's my advice do it when you feel ready, yes finding motivation is hard, yes it sucks watching what you eat and working out everyday, but you are worth it and need to to know that there will be set backs. i starting working out and i didn't lose any weight at first because i jumped in head first quit smoking, working out, eating healthy , my body was in shock mode for about 2 weeks and then boom lost weight. your body has been so unhealthy that maybe it needed to hang on to those pounds, but just remeber that nothing starts out being easy when it comes to weight lose patience is important and acceptance of yourself no matter what. good luck with your journey and MFP will be here when or if you try to lose again. sorry if i am harsh but i have been fat all my life and people who call names and are mean get under my skin. have a great day
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I was convinced that I was destined to be fat for life, and even tried to talk myself into believing that being fat was okay. Problem is, I've never been that good of a liar, and I can't lie to myself either. It's not about being pretty, it's about being healthy - and it's not healthy to be 30-something and out of breath climbing stairs.

Unless you're a REALLY good liar, I don't think you're going to be successful - or happy - convincing yourself that it's OK to be fat. I think you might feel better if you give this weight loss thing another go, though. The truth of it is that weight loss is hard, but living in truth - even if it's an uphill battle the whole way - is better than living a lie. Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • jase369
    jase369 Posts: 14
    Options
    Everyone before me has said everything I would have...but if the 13 lbs youve already lost is not an accomplishment, I dont know what is...

Hang in there...but no one can make you do it, you have to WANT to do it.
  • Airliner
    Airliner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you won't do it for yourself, do it for that adorable child that you hold so lovingly in your arms!
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    You shouldn't give up!

MFP won't do it all for you. Weight loss takes time, discipline and determination. It's sad to see someone give up so soon.

Good luck to you.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    So in one weekend your pants were falling off your *kitten*? That's called PROGRESS!!!! Weight is just a number. Your weight is a combination of muscle weight, water weight, and fat weight. You start burning like you did, you're muscle weight and water weight could increase as your fat weigth goes down. It would make perfect sense as to why your pants were falling down because muscle is more dense than fat. Meaning, one pound of muscle will take up way less space than the one pound of fat. So if you're losing fat and adding a ****-ton of muscle, you're still thinning up. Don't quit over that.