What was your "That's It!" Moment?

Options
For me, it was a bit of foreshadowing.

I love photography in it's entirety, but after gaining so much weight, I decided i ALWAYS wanted to be behind the lense. that way i wouldn't have to have pictures of how big i had gotten. But then I got engaged, and then realized, I don't want to be so excited to get my wedding photos, then realize "oh no, I hate ALL of them because i'm fat!!" and then spend the night bawling my eyes out ... because i know i would!

So it was then, for the sake of feeling beautiful in my wedding photos, that I decided i needed to change once and for all!!

so now I want to hear your "That's It" or "ah-ha!" moment!

Replies

• TeraGC
    TeraGC Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of milestone 'ah-ha' moments... the first was after losing 25 lbs which I had not felt really good about, I was still seeing a heavier me. I got my wedding photos back and was like wow, oh... you can really see it. My most recent was, this morning... I got up to start the 2nd week of Boot Camp and I was excited to go. Shoes on, ready to roll. Amazing that my body seems to enjoy this torture, haha.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Wow! I have the SAME EXACT STORY!!
    i ALWAYS wanted to be behind the lense. that way i wouldn't have to have pictures of how big i had gotten. But then I got engaged, and then realized, I don't want to be so excited to get my wedding photos, then realize "oh no, I hate ALL of them because i'm fat!!" and then spend the night bawling my eyes out ... because i know i would!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I had just gone up to a size 13 in pants and was pretty bummed about it. The next day, I went out to eat with a co-worker and ate every thing fried on the menu...no joke.

Duh. That's why I was gaining weight.

I signed up for MFP that night.

P.S. I'm now a size 6! (I just found out yesterday so please forgive the shameless bragging) :flowerforyou:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    2 Aha moments for me. First, my husband got MS and I had to help him with everything because he was numb from the neck down. He got better after a couple of months but I started to think about what happens if he ends up in a wheelchair or numb again. I need to be strong enough to pick him up and take care of him. So I tried losing weight, but then had a baby.

Then my 4 year old girl told me that I was pretty but fat - all matter of fact - kind of like, "Mom, you have brown hair" or "Mom, you are fat". No judgement, just statement of fact. Now we are all getting healthier together, my husband, my two kids and me.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Last year, 4th of July weekend... it was hot, we went to a family pool party / bbq... after another morning of crying because I had nothing to wear and I looked so disgusting in everything that I didn't want to go.... I decided then that I would stop crying about it and DO something about it!

This 4th of July, I slipped on a pair of shorts 3 sizes smaller and enjoyed our block party! And all day long, I kept thinking how slim & muscular my legs looked! :tongue:
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My "that's it" moment: seeing myself in pics *full body* next to my family especially my husband =( it disgusted me!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My older brother got married in April '10. I had to give the little sister speech. Behind me was a mirror. I thought I looked great. The mirror did not. When I got the pictures and videos of my speech back all I could stare at was the mirror behind me only showing my love handles/big hips/huge *ss. Shortly after that my older sister's fiance proposed and they were engaged. That's when I decided that when I got the pictures back from the little sister speech I DID NOT want to get the pictures back to only be like "holy **** I look like a hippo!" I hit the gym, got a trainer, and started counting.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    my 40th birthday party pix. I had the best time that weekend, but can't even reminisce with photos b/c every time I look at them I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. 41 is going to be soooooooooooo different!
  • bethinin2011
    bethinin2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Intellectually, my "that's it" moment came when my doctor told me I had a high cholesterol reading for the first time at my annual physical this year. But my emotional "moment" came a few weeks later. I finally got it after seeing pictures from a party back in April. I'm standing next to a much-thinner friend, and I look so big! I realized I have a distorted body image....I wear size 12-14 and generally don't think of myself as "fat". I still picture myself as a thin person, and some clothes help disguise the weight. Side by side with my friend, though, there was no disguising how blobby I looked. Within a few days I had found this site, and now I've lost 11 pounds in the last 65 days.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think mine was when I starting noticing the double chin in the mirror and in photos. Expecially in photo, its true what they say "a photo can speak a thousand words". I knew then I needed to to something big, and something to help maintain once I get to where I want to be.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    this last easter when i was with my SIL and taking pictures i saw how far out and round my tummy was... i can't stand to think my tummy was out further than my boobs.
  • pwurtz1231
    pwurtz1231 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 "That's It" moments. One was in June 2009, right before I got engaged. I'd always told myself I'd never let myself reach 300 lbs. I went in for my yearly appointment, I was at 292 lbs. I was so mad at myself. I lost 10 lbs in 6 months while planning our wedding, just from changing some bad habits, like eating in the middle of the night, and I started sleeping normal hours. My second one was in August 2010. I'd lost another 10 lbs, so I was down to 272ish. I went to the doc b/c I'd been feeling very sluggish and tired, not resting at all. Found out I had hypothyroidism, which had never been caught before, and high cholesterol, which didn't surprise me b/c I'm from the South and ate like it. My doctor also told me I had insulin resistance and if I didn't get that in control, I'd become diabetic. Another thing I'd always told myself I wouldn't do was become diabetic. That was my last That's It moment. I'm now down to 249, my thyroid is in check, my cholesterol is lower, and the insulin resistance is in control.

Speaking of the wedding photos, I was so worried about that. My photographer posted a sneak peek the day after the wedding, and she posted the last picture she'd taken of the night. I cried like a baby because, although I was at around 280 lbs, I thought I was beautiful. I give all the credit to my awesome photographers though. :) Good luck with your goals!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    When I was about to turn fifty years old. I told myself, "Self" I'm not going into my fifties with all this weight and the health problems and not feeling good, not to mention the future problems I was causing myself. That was it, my "that's it " moment. I had high blood pressure, high colestorol, border line diabetic, insulin resistence, hurting back, high stress level. Things had to change for me or I would not have made it many more years. Its a struggle but I've made progress. Went from 400 pounds to where I am now, about 240, and still have more to go.
  • joshiesdad
    joshiesdad Posts: 80
    Options
    My 6 year old said to me that he did not ask me to play something with him because "daddy your to fat to do that". I vowed that I will never again miss anything that he wants me at or needs me at becasue I was to damn fat and to lazy to do it. It really made me feel sick inside and really mad at myself. Found MFP a week later and made the best change of my life. Still have a long way to go but my son is proud to have his daddy around. And I am proud of me too.
  • sarahuelsman
    sarahuelsman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Divorce. During an unhappy marriage i put on 50lbs...now determined to get the weight off and start my life over.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I had two "that's it" moments.
    the first one was when I turned 30. I had always told myself that I did not want to be a smoker when I hit my 30s, so I quit. Around that same time I decided exercise would help me with urges to smoke. I lost about 20 lbs.
    However that first 20 was not enough-I was a bridesmaid in a wedding this past October and I STILL felt like the chubby one in those pictures. That was my second and final "that's it" moment. After the wedding, I joined a gym and cut out alcohol entirely. I have lost my last 15-18 lbs and NOW I wish I was in those photos. Maybe 5 more lbs to go and I'll be rockin' it!
  • busymomoffour
    busymomoffour Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have always thought that I needed to lose the weight from having my children (youngest is 14 already!)....and every-time I would hit a new high weight, I thought that that would be the highest I would ever go....but I kept putting it on, little by little .... this spring one of my younger friends (who is a new mom) asked me to join her working out at the hospital's cardio rehab center - my that's it moment is when after working out for about 6 weeks I had an analysis done of my body fat - when I saw that I was carrying around 36 pounds of body fat - I thought, that's ridiculous! and then began my journey on MFP. so far I've lost a total of 10 pounds - and am looking forward to seeing the results of the new analysis when I reach my goal weight - 27 pounds to lose to be in the normal BMI range!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    when a DOCTOR told me i was overwheight. it wasn't me putting myself down, or a friend, a family member or a stranger judging me... it was a doctor, who took test and stats and the conclusion was overwheight. i nearly died.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd ever actually make it to a "That's It" moment .... I'm always in denial and over-confident about my looks and health. I feel pretty dang sexy and beautiful, (not to mention smart and funny) - even being 70+ pounds overweight. At first I said hitting 200lbs (again!) would probably snap me back in to shape ... then it passed, and I was so sure 210 would do it... Then I worked out a little, got down to 202-205ish and then got bored with my workouts and bounced all the way back to 220. There has been this year-long battle of thinking I'm ready to really lose it all for good, then giving up early, then getting mad and trying again, then changing some habits, but not all the ones necessary... just teetering on the edge of being ready.

Then a dear friend who was a bit bigger than me started really busting her *kitten* to get in shape. She is doing a Paleo diet, crossfit, and rides the MS150. Recently she said that she was starting to fit in to size 16 clothes - which is the size I was wearing. Something about knowing that she did all of that hard work and had hit a milestone I was standing on made me think I was going to get left in the dust. She was going to get fit come hell or high water, and I could either stand by and watch her do it, or I could try to keep up and work just as hard. I can't tell you what happened or what changed, really. I just knew that she had worked infinitely harder than me to get to where I am, and she was going to pass me by. I had no excuse, I had nothing holding me back but myself.

That was about two months ago. Since then I've made HUGE strides in the way I look at food, working out, my health and my body. I'm almost 100% positive this time is for real, I'm going to reach my goals, and I'm never looking back.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    when a DOCTOR told me i was overwheight. it wasn't me putting myself down, or a friend, a family member or a stranger judging me... it was a doctor, who took test and stats from MY body, and the conclusion was overwheight. i nearly died.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!