What do you do with zucchini?

Options

Replies

• heyjude1358
    Options
    Where do you people live that the zucchini god's have blessed you so?! I want to move in!

Same here... no one has blessed me with huge, free, yummy zukes this year. Cucumbers on the other hand... sooooooo many!
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I wish neighbors would leave random veggies on my doorstep lol.... of course I live in an apt so they might not be there long ahaha!.

I love Zucchini's.
    I don't really have any suggestions that has not been said already!

And I am stealing some more suggestions from this post..,. shhh!
  • frg4bama
    frg4bama Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We make our own ratatouille (sp?)

Slice very thinly
    Potato
    Yellow squash
    Zucchini squash

Each on their own plate

In a baking dish put a can of tomato sauce- sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
    Then take one of each of the vegetables and arrange in a circle over and over (little stacks loosely)
    When done, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Italian seasoning, pepper and salt
    Bake at 350 until all are done ( usually around 45 minutes)

Sometimes I brown a pound of HB meat and put it on top of the sauce and then do the veggies. Both ways are really good
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I leave it alone... it leaves me alone.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Grilled is the best! Add spices if ya like or your diet allows, slice em long ways like (pickle stackers) then grill em. It's my fav!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Lol, being Asian, I boil it with soy sauce.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

We do, too -- just a little differently:

Slice thin
    Layer in a baking dish
    Slice fresh tomatoes on top of it
    Sprinkle w/garlic salt, pepper, a little grated parmesan (we use the regular ol' powdered stuff)
    Repeat as many times as you want
    Bake in the oven until bubbly.

We eat it by the bowls-ful here!! Even my kids love it.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Mix it with some squash, cherry tomatoes, parmesan and quinoa pasta, for a nice and fresh pasta primavera. Yum!

this is almost exactly what I was going to suggest! But I didn't know there was quinoa pasta! YUM
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

Slice very thinly
    Potato
    Yellow squash
    Zucchini squash

Each on their own plate

In a baking dish put a can of tomato sauce- sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
    Then take one of each of the vegetables and arrange in a circle over and over (little stacks loosely)
    When done, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Italian seasoning, pepper and salt
    Bake at 350 until all are done ( usually around 45 minutes)

Sometimes I brown a pound of HB meat and put it on top of the sauce and then do the veggies. Both ways are really good

Sounds great! I'm going to get all the stuff to make this from the farmers market tomorrow...I wonder if my husband would like it!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    slice it and put it in a saucepan with whole canned tomatoes, a bit of onion and, if you want, spice it up with oregano garlic and basil. As a kid, that was one of my favorite summertime side dishes. Sometimes, I even asked my mom to make it for me for lunch. Just that, nothing else. (I know, weird kid!)

Also is yummy on the grill.

Or, I also make lasagna with it. I slice it and use the slices instead of noodles. put a bit of pasta sauce on the bottom of a cake pan, a layer of sliced zucchini, more sauce, some sliced muchrooms, shredded carrots, some mozerella, another layer of zucchini (or, make one of the layers from sliced eggplant), some cauliflower, more sauce, spinach, more cheese and Voila! a yummy vegetable lasagna (or, au gratin if you want to be precise). You can use whatever fresh veggies you have, don't limit yourself to my suggestions, use your favorite or whatever you have a plethera of. You can add meat in one of the layers if you want, but you don't need to. I avoid broccoli in this though, because it gets too bitter if it is cooked too long.
  • frg4bama
    frg4bama Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @Emily- My husband loves it :) He will eat it with or without the meat
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    We had kabobs the other night and used zucchini...it was very yummy!
  • mommachelle03
    Options
    Sliced up, tossed with olive oil and roasted in the oven, with a little bit of parmesan sprinkled on at the end. Or, if it is cool out, diced up and added to homemade veggie soup.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Found this great recipe for Low Fat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread!

I am making this today, but plan on substituting Splenda brown sugar for reg and light margarine for the butter to cut fat & calories even more!

I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/low-fat-chocolate-chip-zucchini-bread.html
  • akhebert4
    akhebert4 Posts: 9
    Options
    Zucchini fritters are delicious! Grate the zucchini and add some basil, garlic, salt and pepper with an egg and a cup of flour. Combine and fry in a few tablesppons of EVOO. They are great :)
  • alisonbank
    alisonbank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    THIS IS MY FAVORITE! everything sauted and throw in some shrimp... yum :)

i love grilled zucchini too with some yellow squash.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make ZOODLES! I have a Spirooli, and when you use this on your zucchini you get Zoodles - noodles made of pure zucchini, so you can cook 'em quick (they cook REALLY FAST), then pour marinara sauce over 'em, sprinkle with Parmesan, and you have a plate full of vegetables with no pasta in site!

Here's what a Spirooli is, I also use it to slice stuff!

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/spirooli-spiral-3-in-1-slicer.html

:-)

Ice
  • chefjess12
    Options
    I like to marinde it in gazabo room light greek dressing and grill it. I also like to saute it with squash, mushrooms, red and green pepeppers and have veggie quesadillas.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yeah I grill mine, on the george forman (dont have a regular outdoor grill :[ ).....add a little garlic pepper (tastefully simple) seasoning...very yummy