Fruit is using up all my calories!

Options
tevez032
tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
hi all,

Just started a plan this week (1250 cal limit) and am doing ok with the meals, but my 'snacks' of just fruit (and a couple of coffees) are taking me a few hundred cals over my limit each day. What's with that? It lists an apple as 80 calories, but I was told that eating an apple actually burns calories, from the effort it takes to digest!

I use the fruit snacks to keep the hunger away. Should I just drink water instead?

cheers
tev

Replies

• pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bump this since I am fairly new and use fruit and veggies as my go to snack too...
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of fruit on a 1200 cal a day diet and I stay within my limits. I do drink over 10 cups of water a day which may be a huge help. Also I exercise everyday, or at least try to, to give myself some added cals to work with. Drink more water before eating something. If you drink throughout the day it will keep the hunger pangs away.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Maybe just cut down to 2 - 3 servings per day. And to help with hunger definitely incorporate more protein-rich foods and fiber (though, fruit is a pretty good source of fiber).
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Try lower sugar fruits, like berries, which are lower calorie AND higher in fiber. Or munch on crispy veggies, like pea pods or bell pepper strips.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    hi all,

Just started a plan this week (1250 cal limit) and am doing ok with the meals, but my 'snacks' of just fruit (and a couple of coffees) are taking me a few hundred cals over my limit each day. What's with that? It lists an apple as 80 calories, but I was told that eating an apple actually burns calories, from the effort it takes to digest!

I use the fruit snacks to keep the hunger away. Should I just drink water instead?

cheers
    tev

i only eat fruit in the daytime so would like to know more about this as well.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is the sweet fruits that have the higher calorie counts like apples and bananas.
    Try switching to carrots or celery they are much lower in calories.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about zero calorie foods? (Apple). I read that the zero calorie food theory is a myth. Just ask anyone from WW using the points system. No pts for fruit but it still adds up.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're eating too many calories in your meals if a couple of pieces of fruit are taking you over the limit. Try incorperating fruit and veggies into meals or having fruit as breakfast, not just 3 whole meals and lots of fruit snack.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have no idea because I can't view your diary. I eat a ton of fruit a day and I'm always within my calorie limit so maybe its other things during meals that are causing your calorie count to go up.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    What kind of coffee are you drinking?

There's no such thing as negative calorie food. It exists only in theory.

You should definitely snack, but if you're going a couple hundred over then you're eating A LOT of fruit! An apple isn't just a snack, those suckers are filling.

I would say you have the same problem I do - you just eat a lot in order to feel full. You have to start practicing moderation. Limit on how much you eat. Save your calories for later in the day, or even snack on something like a pickle instead for those days when you just can't take it.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb (in my opinion): While fruit is good for you, the more sugar you eat (even natural sugars like in fruit) the more it throws your body out of whack as far as weight loss is concerned. Maybe try limit your fruit, or do a little homework on which are more and less cals and sugar - and see if that helps boost your progress. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • tevez032
    Options
    Yeah I think that is the problem. I don't really like many non-sugary fruits and am not keen on veg either, although I can manage peas and sweetcorn.. just!

Today I've had a banana, 2 apples, 1 large serving of red grapes, 1 large serving of green grapes and some raspberries.
    I guess i'll just have to cut down on them in future...

tev
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Fruit has calories. Period. As you've discovered, they have more than just a few, and the digestion of the fruit doesn't cancel out the calories. I can almost buy that for celery, but not fruit, which has much more natural sugar. They need to be counted. If they're taking you a "few hundred" over your goal, then you're not planning well. You can still have snacks, but eat slightly smaller meals. Don't know what you put in your coffee, but drink it as plain as you can - it's easy to load up on calories with sugar and cream. Try to limit yourself to no more than a few (personally I'd say 1-2, but most people would say 2-3) servings of fruit a day, keeping in mind that a "serving" of fruit may actually be only half of a large piece of fruit. Start snacking more on veggies - carrots, celery, cucumbers - lower in calories and still providing lots of healthy vitamins.
  • tevez032
    Options
    ---double post..
  • ralleman59
    Options
    Chew sugar free gum. you will be amazed that by chewing you won't think about food.
    Try it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Remember being positive goes a long way
    in this battle.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes drink lots of water. BUT that doesn't mean starve yourself if you are hungry either.

Suggestions for snacks:

Eat more veggies than fruit. Fruit can actually make you more hungry and crave more things because it is high glycemic. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat fruit at all. It is healthy, but if you turn to lower glycemic veggies as snacks you can eat a lot, takes up hardly any calories and doesn't make you crave.

Also if you eat protein in combo with veggies that works the best. Just a little natural peanut butter, a slice of cheese, or a piece of lean deli meat.

The last suggestion I have is eat some nuts. Just a few nuts staves off hunger. Just make sure not to go overboard because while they're good fats, they are fatty so you don't want too much.

As for coffee I can't speak to that because I am not a coffee person. But consider how you are making your coffee and how much. Maybe limit to one coffee per day, and drink it dark or use whole milk in it instead of creamer, etc.

Are your exercising at all? If so maybe you should eat back some of your calories if you are still hungry. That will allow you a little more calorie wiggle room.
  • tevez032
    Options
    I'd say you're eating too many calories in your meals if a couple of pieces of fruit are taking you over the limit. Try incorperating fruit and veggies into meals or having fruit as breakfast, not just 3 whole meals and lots of fruit snack.

Not really, I have toast for breakfast, slimfast for lunch and a small-ish meal in the evening.
  • caseyjodi
    caseyjodi Posts: 1
    Options
    what are your meals? im guessing that is the problem....maybe cut your "snacks" in half....eat half an apple now, save the other half for a later snack. you have to sacrifice somewhere....drinking lots of water, and chewing gum helps me not think about snacking.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie foods are a myth. Try to stick to 2-3 servings of fruit per day. Snack on protein, nuts, and veggies instead. The protein and fiber will help keep you feeling fuller for a longer period of time.
  • tevez032
    Options
    What kind of coffee are you drinking?

There's no such thing as negative calorie food. It exists only in theory.

You should definitely snack, but if you're going a couple hundred over then you're eating A LOT of fruit! An apple isn't just a snack, those suckers are filling.

I would say you have the same problem I do - you just eat a lot in order to feel full. You have to start practicing moderation. Limit on how much you eat. Save your calories for later in the day, or even snack on something like a pickle instead for those days when you just can't take it.

Thanks. sadly I think you're right. I'm eating too much lol.

tev