Fruit is using up all my calories!

Options

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Ok, listen up, if fruit is taking you over your cal limit, STOP EATING SO MUCH FRUIT, there problem solved.

And secondly there is no such thing as a food that takes more energy to digest than it provides.

Cut back on the high GI fruits, eat berries instead, and eat more protein, protein takes the most energy to digest, keeps you feeling full longer and has a lower cal level.
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Chew sugar free gum. you will be amazed that by chewing you won't think about food.
    Try it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Remember being positive goes a long way
    in this battle.

Thanks; I'll try that :-)
  • tevez032
    Options
    Are your exercising at all? If so maybe you should eat back some of your calories if you are still hungry. That will allow you a little more calorie wiggle room.

Planning to, but not happened yet! :-S
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You're a dude. WHYYYYY are you only on 1,200 cals?
  • tevez032
    Options
    You're a dude. WHYYYYY are you only on 1,200 cals?

Special Lemur diet! ;-)
    No, seriously that is what the calculator thing told me. I just told it I wanted to lose 2lb a week.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    For a snack I will have 10 grapes, 4 slices of non fat cheese and four Club House crackers. This fill sme up and keeps me within the calorie range.
  • tevez032
    Options
    For a snack I will have 10 grapes, 4 slices of non fat cheese and four Club House crackers. This fill sme up and keeps me within the calorie range.

Non fat cheese? I didn't realise there was such a thing, I'll need to take a look at that. I love cheese...
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    When I was eating 1200 cals I ate one fruit and the rest veggies. Try to fit in more protein with your carb it will digest better for you.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I would suggest more veg in place of fruit and add more protein.
    Good luck
    jane
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that is the problem. I don't really like many non-sugary fruits and am not keen on veg either, although I can manage peas and sweetcorn.. just!

Today I've had a banana, 2 apples, 1 large serving of red grapes, 1 large serving of green grapes and some raspberries.
    I guess i'll just have to cut down on them in future...

tev

That's a lot of fruit in one day. I would say cut it down to 2-3 serving... That's 5 servings of fruit...
  • tevez032
    Options
    How depressing I can't stand veg :-(
    I'll need to find a substitute for the excess fruit it seems...
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in with the suggestions to eat more veggies. But also - from looking at your diary, your meals don't look like meals to me. One thing that I *don't* like about MFP is that you can't look easily at the fiber content of what you're eating.

I don't know when you're snacking from your diary - with me, it's a struggle to eat more in the early part of the day, but I'm trying (not always successful - so many years of not eating properly!) Try to eat stuff w/a bit more fiber (is there *any* fiber at all in those diet drinks?) and try to eat more in the early part of the day (unless you work at night). Remember that what we eat gives us energy - and if we eat the biggest meal at night, then we don't get a chance to burn it off by sleeping).

I had a weight GAIN this week - ugh - first time since I started. Not sure if it's accurate because I'm using a new scale - but - I ate a bit more of processed foods (I'm thinking, YOU, Special K Cereal, and your tempting deliciousness!! Arrggh!!) AND wasn't that careful about measuring/weighing. Everything you eat counts - no such thing as negative calories, except if you exercise it all off, lol.

Best foods are lower in sugar & unprocessed (in my view). I wouldn't eliminate the fruits - just find some that have less sugar. Easy to find lists online. Next add good veggies, as close to raw - more fiber, fills you up - and all around very healthy for you. Make sure you have enough protein (think that's the easiest to do) and don't overdue the carbs.

And give yourself a chance to lose! You'll do it! :happy:
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Only 2 fruits per day. Snack on veggies like celery, cucumber, some carrots.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    "How depressing I can't stand veg :-(
    I'll need to find a substitute for the excess fruit it seems... "

While I couldn't do it, I have read lots of material on people who eat totally raw, and only fruits - they're fruitarians. If that lifestyle appeals to you - then I'd say give it a go! But read up on it & make sure you're getting the right nutrients (most crucial, IMO, w/a raw vegan lifestyle is B12)

On the other hand, if it's not what you would want to do, then start trying some locally produced, raw veggies. It's amazing how vegetables (and fruits, of course) grown on rich soil supplemented with good compost can taste so amazing, in comparison to the lackluster examples covered in cellophane in our grocery stores!! If there is ONE veggie you know you like somewhat - start with that (for carrots, see if you can get Bunny Love brand - at least they *used* to be amazing & sweet yrs ago when I had a juicer.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    To the OP - This is slightly off topic, be relevant in that it impacts your calorie goal: I just noticed that according to your ticker, you only have 18 lbs to lose. This means, you should absoluetely NOT be trying for 2 lbs a week. The less you have to lose, the less healthy it is for your body to handle a high calorie deficit. The less you have to lose, the lower your goal loss per week needs to be. Go back to your goals and change it to 1/2 or 1 lb/week at the most. this will give you more calories to consume and be much healthier for you.
  • tevez032
    Options
    Thanks. My meals look duff as I haven't really got into a routine yet. I only started (again) this week.
    I'm happy with the slimfast at lunch, but do need a proper meal in the evenings.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain and say eat the fruit. In fact, I would maybe not log the fruit and see if it's truly something else that's causing you to go over. The new Weight Watchers plan actually counts all fruits as 0 points. Yes, fruit has calories, but the calories are calculated before they go into your body. All calories don't metabolize the same. I think its pretty hard to gain weight if the majority of your food is fruits and vegetables.

When I was obsessively counting and trying to lose, I avoided some of my favorite fruits--namely, bananas and mangos. I would sometimes eat "fake food" in lieu of those foods, because they technically had lower calories. Now I think that was a mistake. When you get to maintenance mode, you need habits that will keep you going for life. Eating a majority of fruits and vegetables is just a good life habit.
  • tevez032
    Options
    To the OP - This is slightly off topic, be relevant in that it impacts your calorie goal: I just noticed that according to your ticker, you only have 18 lbs to lose. This means, you should absoluetely NOT be trying for 2 lbs a week. The less you have to lose, the less healthy it is for your body to handle a high calorie deficit. The less you have to lose, the lower your goal loss per week needs to be. Go back to your goals and change it to 1/2 or 1 lb/week at the most. this will give you more calories to consume and be much healthier for you.

Yeah thanks, that may be a better approach to the whole thing. I'm 6ft and want to get back to a weight I was when I was in my early 20s. About 11.5 stone. I'm about 13 at the moment and can 'feel' the weight compared to what I used to weigh.

tev
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I stay full all day long at 1200 calories and I weight 203 lbs so that's no easy task =)
    I eat very little fruit, but when i do eat fruit I pick Strawberries, blueberries and fruit that has a low sugar content as they have less calories, but I prefer to snack on vegetables, they are lower in calories and tend to keep me full longer as well. I also drink about 12 to 14 glasses of water per day so I am sure that helps keep me full.

You might also consider increasing your protein at your meal times if you aren't getting enough bc protein definitely keeps you fuller longer. Maybe you can change your coffee drinks to sugar free or cut one of them out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need to lower your goal to 1/2 or 1 pound per week to give you more calories, especially since you plan on exercising more. Also, try getting more protein in your diet - it'll help you feel more full and may help avoid all the snacks during the day.

Have to say though, I'm right there with you on loving fruit. I usually have 2-3 servings a day. It's a healthy way to make the sweet tooth happy. :)

I gave this same advice to someone yesterday...if you're not a fan of veggies, it may be how they've been prepared. Consider trying some new veggies and preparing them in different ways. Some people love having them cooked to death, some people prefer them raw and there is a whole range in between (barely cooked/blanched, steamed, boiled, sauteed). Have fun with it!