Fruit is using up all my calories!

Options

Replies

• VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Another thing. Ditch the slim fast and eat some real food at lunch. You will feel a lot fuller and still keep calories under a reasonable goal. For a 6ft guy 1200 is too low. I'm 5'1" woman and 48 years old and have mine set at 1350. I'm averaging about 3 lbs loss a month. A good break down for me is 250-300 calories at breakfast - whole grain toast, low fat cottage cheese or egg, & fruit. Mid morning snack is a cup of coffee. Lunch is usually under 350-400 calories and is left overs from dinner or frozen meal in a pinch. Snack around 4:00 pm fruit and maybe some protien/nuts (especially if going to the gym). That leaves me around 700 left for the evening and more if I went to the gym. I'm sure you could probably add 100 calories to each meal. For dinner stick to lean meats such as fish, chicken and lean pork. Beef no more than twice a week. Stay away from rice and potatoes as much as possible - lots of calories and high glycemic response. Try sweat potatoes, I love corn as a starch, brown rice or at least combo with white. If you have to have the white rice & potatos, keep serving smaller and add another vegitable to your dinner.
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Another thing. Ditch the slim fast and eat some real food at lunch.

I quite like the slimfast lunch. Quick and easy.
  • mmiiaa
    mmiiaa Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I went through your diary, and I can tell you exactly why you're going over. You're not exercising! It's very difficult to eat only 1200 calories. MFP expects you to exercise. Also, I'm guessing you have your weight loss set to 2 pounds a week? You should change that. That setting is only really recommended for the obese, who can handle the calorie deficiency. One last thing: ditch the Slim Fast and eat a real lunch. I know it's "quick and easy" but it's not nearly as filling as real food that you can find for a similar amount of calories. Not being full will lead to more snacking, which will lead to going over your calories.

TLDR:
    - You can't expect to lose this weight without working out.
    - Slim Fast isn't food. There are healthier alternatives that are just as "quick and easy"
    - You don't need to try to be losing 2 pounds a week. I'd recommend 1 or 1.5.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    One more thought - here is a post I recommend you check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan

You would be on the border between stage 3 and stage 4. The idea is that someone who has 100 lbs to lose will have very different exercise/dietary needs than someone who only has 15 lbs to lose. This gives you an idea of what is needed for you to realistically shed those last few pounds and find a healthier body composition. As someone else said above, you really do need to start exercising - both cardio and strength training. If you do that and change your goal to 1/2 lb a week (allowing you to eat more - both from the exercise and the changed goal) you'll find this whole process much easier to live with.

Oh, and I agree with ditching the slimfast. While convenient, it's chock full of preservatives and artificial ingredients. It doesn't take long to make a homemade lunch - something like a salad with chicken, beans and avocado on top or a wrap with tuna and veggies and things like that. 5, 10 minutes tops. You can prepare them earlier and take them somewhere if you aren't eating at home. It will keep you full longer and is much healthier in the long run.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lemur diet? :bigsmile:

Seriously, men shouldn't go below a certain number of calories a day (1,500? I can't remember.) just like women shouldn't go below 1,200. Bump it up to 1lb / week. It won't kill you.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eat protein for snacks! Low fat cheese (fat free is nasty, but I like "light" or 2% cheese). Almonds, peanut butter on your apples. Protein (and even fat) will help you feel fuller for longer so you won't need SO MUCH fruit. It also won't mess with your blood sugar levels like just fruit will. I had gestational diabetes and was told to never eat fruit alone, always eat protein or fat with it to offset the blood sugar swings.

And yes, ONE pound a week. Even if you do manage to lose 2lbs, you'll probably gain it right back when you try to maintain.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that is the problem. I don't really like many non-sugary fruits and am not keen on veg either, although I can manage peas and sweetcorn.. just!

Today I've had a banana, 2 apples, 1 large serving of red grapes, 1 large serving of green grapes and some raspberries.
    I guess i'll just have to cut down on them in future...

tev

That's a lot of fruit in one day. I would say cut it down to 2-3 serving... That's 5 servings of fruit...

that is not 5 servings of fruit, that is 9! possibly 10! (HALF of a normal-sized banana is one and HALF of a normal-sized apple is one as well so a whole piece of fruit is TWO servings)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem sustainable. Yes, up your calories so that your target is .5 - 1 lb loss a week. Cut back on some fruit and eat more veggies.. and definitely ditch the slimfast.

If you want to lose the weight and keep it off, you would be best to have a more balanced, patient approach.
  • RawZa
    RawZa Posts: 1
    Options
    I eat a large quantity of fruit and veg per day, about 70% of it eaten raw, be it eaten in whole form or in homemade smoothies.

One suggestion might be to skip the slimfast and use the nutrition facility on MFP to create a nutritionally balance lunch. Also skip the toast in the morning. As previously mentioned, you evidently like fruit make your breakfast about fruit, chop up fresh fruit, use frozen fruits and top with yoghurt (for protein).

As others have already suggested make sure you keep the fluid intake up. I suggest you stick to milk in tea / coffee only in the mornings. It my seem difficult initially but it will cut your caffeine intake and help longer term.

Just remember fruit is good for you. What might work is eating a high percentage raw, aim for about 50% of your calories to come fruit / veg. If making smoothies add some greens, you seldom taste them when mixed with fruit and they help the slow release of sugar, preventing that dreaded spike.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The recommended weight loss on this site is one pound per week.
    Why not reset your goal so it is not so uncomfortable for yourself. It would be easier to achieve then.

Another aspect to try is to do some light exercise every day. Even just walking will burn calories and allow you to eat more. Instead of sitting around feeling hungry - try going for a walk.

Good luck !
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like fruit. A lot. Too much to give it up, so I had to give up other things. Like processed foods. I generally eat 8-10 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veg a day. With protein from lean meats and cheese, I've done pretty well so far. So for me, at least, it was possible to keep the fruit with other adjustments.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and you're definitely not eating too much at meal times, and compared to a lot of things you could be eating, fruit is a pretty good choice. If you are a 6' tall man, I have to wonder why you are aiming for 1250 calories a day? I would think that would be too low, and that you would be hungry - I don't think the daily calorie totals you've been posting are particularly high - you could try swapping some of the fruit for some foods higher in protein, but I still think you may need those extra 150-200 calories a day to function well and be healthy - why don't you wait and see how the wait loss goes? I really think 1250 is too low for the average man - nutritionists and doctors recommend a 1200 calorie minimum for women, but it is higher for men - 1500 or 1800 calories a day (for obvious reasons, men are generally taller and have more muscle mass) - otherwise you are going too far below the level of nutrients (macro and micro) that your body needs to function properly.
  • sracaxaj
    sracaxaj Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree with what folks have been saying about veggies - they are def. the best low cal way to get a snack in. I try to include more in any meal so that I don't eat too much of the more calorie-heavy stuff too.

I find an effective way to stave off cravings (although maybe not textbook right way) is to have a very small amount of carb food that feels substantial - the routine tends to help. For me its 2 or 3 rice crackers sporadically.

Also think its important to stay away from lots of milk/cream, etc. and sugar in coffee. I'm lucky because I lovvvve americanos which are like 15 cals. Maybe give them a try if you find you need one (or 2 or 3. . . ) to get through the day - I find they perk you up more than a heavy latte or watery drip coffee. . .

On the other hand - hope you are eating enough calories (as some ppl seem to be thinking you aren't)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    For your weight and height and age in order to lose 2lbs per week you would need to eat only 800 calories a day.....however MFP default is set at 1200 to prevent starvation mode so you really are only set up to lose just over 1lb a week anyway right now. If I were you I'd set my loss at 1lb or 1/2 lb per week. Get some exercize each day and eat 50-75% of those calories as well (never go below 1200)

I notice your am coffee had around 35 cal and your snack coffee had 140......how about making your snack coffee another 35 cal coffee instead since that would save you a bunch. Maybe space your breakfast out like toast and coffee and have the yogurt 2 hours later as a snack. Have a salad with a low cal protein shake for lunch instead you could even add a can of tuna on your salad or some low cal cheese or an egg for extra protein. Actually almost anything for 200 ish calories would be more filling than a slimfast shake.

Try a fruit salad instead......I love fruit and would eat it like you do, so instead I cut up 1 cup of strawberries, a banana, 2 kiwi, a mango, 1 cup grapes, and a cup of pineapple toss it in a bowl and I'll have 2 cups a day (usually one for breakfast or miday snack and one at night after dinner) this way I get to eat all my favorite fruits every day and it only comes to approx 100 calories for a cup (sometimes I add berries, or omit something I don't have or add an extra banana etc but it usually never is more than 130 per cup x 2 = 200-260 cal which is better than eating one (cup) of everything and using up 500 calories)

You just need to branch out and try new stuff. Maybe you would like fiber one bars as a snack? or maybe veggies in a sweet low cal dressing? hummus and rice crackers is a nice lunch or snack. How about other "sweet" veggies like carrots, red bell peppers.....dip those in low cal tatziki sauce...super yummy!

I think if you take a peek at other peoples diaries you could get a lot of ideas.

GOOD LUCK!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not a bad thing, but you could vary your snacks. A handful of almonds, fives you a bit of protein and is also a good fat. Hummus and veg, same deal. As others have mentioned take advantage of the lower in cal, lower in sugar berries and melons.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Fruits as snacks are great. I started out at @ least three a day, and can eat a whole thing of blackberries in one sitting, and maybe up to 5 fruit now. Water is also good if you think you're just thirsty instead of hungry. But I'd rather have most of my calories come from fruit and take advantage of all the fiber to keep me full and away from the other junk food. this is my opinion, good luck.
  • michelledehority
    Options
    i would try some leaner meat like chicken and some whole grain light bread to start.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    It may sound radical, but could you maybe just drink one coffee instead of two? I'd be more inclined to give that up before the fruit. I stuffed myself with fruit yesterday, and stayed within my calorie goal.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your "diet" should be sustainable. Sustainable means that you do not "diet", but rather change your relationship with food. You have to relearn what you should be eating, and what is most satisfying for your body. MFP is about portion control and calories... fundamental parts of learning about the fuel that you put into your body. Things that people eat (or drink) when they are on a "diet" are often things they would not eat normally. I think Slim Fast falls into that category. I agree with a number of people here that say substitute something else... (too much sugar in Slim Fast in my opinion).

I also agree that 2 lbs a week is too much... weight loss and weight maintenance should be a lifetime goal. I set my goal at 1 lb week.... got 1560 calories. That is pretty tough.... but you get used to it. And at 1560 calories, especially if I wanted a couple of beers I have to exercise! At this level, I lost almost exactly a lb a week. These things have been sustainable changes, and now I am at 1700 calories as I creep back to a maintenance load. I changed my relationship with food!

If you are serious about your "diet", then you should start eating real meals, practicing portion control (weighing works for many), and counting calories. If any single item is throwing you over your limit, you should analyze why .... usually it falls squarely into caloric density of that item, or a portion out of control....
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your "diet" should be sustainable.

Yeah, thanks. I have adjusted the profile so I can have 1500 calories which, with exercise, seems about right. I'll see how it goes and fine tune in a week or two if things start going awry.

I've cut out all crisps, chocolate/sweets and booze, so those alone must make some difference! I calculated about 1300 calories a day on my intake on those alone ;-)

cheers
    tev