Just got a rude comment on the street : (

Options
I was just out walking my dog, and some older guy came up behind me riding his bike. I think he was trying to warn me that he was there, but his method for doing so was to say, "Watch out, big girl!" I have actually seen this guy around before, and I think he might have some sort of mental illness, but, nonetheless, this made me want to cry. So I thought I'd come and post here for moral support. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    Wow, mental illness or not I would have went off on him. He comments to the wrong person and he is going to get shot.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*! You don't deserve that. I'd throw a stick in the spokes of his wheels next time lol :p
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Mental illness or not, what a jerk! Dont worry, chivalry is still alive and well with MOST of us! Stay positive!!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Dude's an *kitten*. 5'5" and your weight is not "big".

Next time push him off his bike.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I would not listen to a thing he has to say!!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Ugggg, I really hate that for you. Some people are so insensitive! Please remember that you are your best friend, make a list of all the things you like and love about yourself and forgive him for his ignorance. Next time you see him say something incredibly nice to him. Kill them with kindness!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm so so sorry. No one deserves to be talked at like they're less. You're beautiful, and worth a lot. Prove him wrong, and go find something that's a personal self esteem booster :-)
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    Sorry to hear that :( Some people can be so hurtful and don't even realize how deep their words can cut! Don't let it get you down though. You are here doing something positive for YOU and even though you may no be where you want to be, you're not where you were yesterday. Keep your head up and focus on your health. You're on an amazing journey, keep up your hard work :)
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    hey i've just seen this. I hope you're feeling ok now and have totally disregarded his comment. I'm not sure what your heritage is as you have no picture, but in some countries that's seen as a complimant. Maybe just maybe that's how he meant it???
    I used to get called thunder thighs alot and when I was younger it seemed a bad thing, but now I love having big strong legs. take it with a pinch of salt girl, he doesn't know you or your struggle. move on from it and just focus on your own personal goal
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The term "big girl" should never be used in reference to someone over the age of 5. That sucks that he said that, and I know it never feels good, but don't let it get to you. If you're out walking, you're already shrinking, so just ignore him. If that doesn't work, keep a stick handy so the next time he rides by, you can hit him with it..or throw it under his tire. Haha
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Not sure what he was thinking. Some people are just mean about things and if he was mental ill, then you can excuse him for not understanding. But don't let it get you down. Shake it off like water off a duck's back. :)
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened. People are always going to have something negative to say. It's the horrible nature of the world but the main thing is that you have people who support you and
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*! You don't deserve that. I'd throw a stick in the spokes of his wheels next time lol :p
    LOL, a chain works much better! Seriously, don't worry about what others say. MLK once said and I'm paraphrasing here, "It's not important what people call you, what's important is what you answer to".
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was just out walking my dog, and some older guy came up behind me riding his bike. I think he was trying to warn me that he was there, but his method for doing so was to say, "Watch out, big girl!" I have actually seen this guy around before, and I think he might have some sort of mental illness, but, nonetheless, this made me want to cry. So I thought I'd come and post here for moral support. Thanks for listening.

man you better not be big cause im still a good 20 pounds heavier than you! brush it off you got this!
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So sorry. No one likes to be treated like that! Keep your chin up and know that you are doing great and your doing this for yourself. Screw all the mean people!!!
  • jlpage07
    jlpage07 Posts: 4
    Options
    Its ok!! there are plenty of jerks out in the world, all that matters is that you have taken charge of your own life and will succeed!
    P.S. I would have pushed him of his bike....
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    People suck. But the people here saying to push him off his bike and tell him off if he has a mental illness... that's even worst.
  • lkb1025
    lkb1025 Posts: 4
    Options
    Ugh! I wish people would think before they speak! I'm sorry you had to have his rude comments a part of your day! Don't take it to heart, though. He has no idea what sort of journey you're on right now. Chin up!! :)
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Wow, some people never cease to amaze me!
    What a jerk..how would he like to be called a retard? :mad:

I hated even saying that but that is the rudest thing someone can do to
    someone out obviously trying to better their health and physique!!!
    JEEEEEEEEEEEERK!!!!!!! :laugh:

Keep your head held high, you are awesome and he isn't!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was mooed at at work last week. :huh:

Hang in there and consider the source.